Blended Families

Just curious... Lawyers?

I have seen a couple of posts where it is asked, "Do you still have a lawyer?"

I keep a lawyer retained. I never know what ex H will pull and I want to make sure that me and the children are covered.

Do you? Why or why not?

Re: Just curious... Lawyers?

• I must live in a higher COL area bc our retainer was 3k per case. I don't have unlimited money to fight over everything we would want to in court regardless of how ridiculous BM is
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't, only becuase DH is military and for the longest time, none of us (BM or DH) lived in the state where they settled the divorce or custody.  Their original lawyers no .onger lpractice here. 

But that does not mean we haven't contacted someone from time to time (changing residential custody legally before we went overseas and when BM was trying to keep SS from rejoining us this summer).  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Not to mention, there are a lot things one can do on your own. 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageNineoceans:
    I must live in a higher COL area bc our retainer was 3k per case. I don't have unlimited money to fight over everything we would want to in court regardless of how ridiculous BM is

We don't and this is why. 

utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=HTML&utm_campaign=tickers" title="Getting Pregnant">Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I do. My initial retainer was $2,500. When BD sued me for custody I needed to make a higher retainer of $5,000. When it gets down to $1,000 I replenish it. I will keep him on retainer indefinitely. When court is over with it will go back down to $2,500. It's worth every penny.
  • We don't always keep our lawyer on retainer but we have one we have a good relationship with. She handled c/s for DS1, DS1's adoption, our wills, and now is doing DH's modification. Next she will be helping me get my original birth certificate (I'm adopted).  We only pay a retainer when we are starting a case but in between cases she has answered  questions for us without charging anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are just billed for time. I.e. going back and forth via email with an issue might take 15 minutes of the lawyer's time, and we are billed for that. If and when we go back to court we will put in a retainer.
  • imagepiffle42:
    After my lawyer was initially retained he only bills for things I actually need him for. He is on the court record as my attorney until he notifies the court that he is no longer my attorney.

this.

And our retainer is $10K. Very high COL! 

• imagenewtothis:
    I do. My initial retainer was 2,500. When BD sued me for custody I needed to make a higher retainer of 5,000. When it gets down to 1,000 I replenish it. I will keep him on retainer indefinitely. When court is over with it will go back down to 2,500. It's worth every penny.

See this is what I think of as a retainer, when your retainer gets low you replenish. I just could not do that
  • I've never had a lawyer, our divorce was all self-filed, etc. Of course, exH didn't want any visitation at all, any part of the house or furnishings and we do a straight percentage child support through the state so there's no reason.

image  image

• imagepiffle42:
    After my lawyer was initially retained he only bills for things I actually need him for. He is on the court record as my attorney until he notifies the court that he is no longer my attorney.

This

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"