Pregnant after 35

Gestational Diabetes test x2?

I was 36 now, will be 36 when baby number 3 arrives. I was taken aback at my 13 week checkup when they wanted me to do the Trutol GD test. I said isn't it too early? I only had it at 28 weeks with DS and DD and both were negative, so why so why so early this time? They said I am high risk because of my age, the fact that I overweight and b/c it's my third pregnancy? I had never heard this before, caught me off guard. Augh, Trutol is gross enough 1x, but whatever.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Gestational Diabetes test x2?

• If you are high risk for getting GD, they do test twice. I was tested twice with my 1st and will be again this time...my PCOS and a family history of type 2 diabetes are what make me higher risk.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • I'm 38 and won't be testing my glucose until about 26 weeks. (I'm 24 now.) I'm overweight with a grandmother who has diabetes and this is my first baby, but my doctor never said I was at higher risk because of my age or even my weight (i.e. my weight doesn't mean I have to test earlier than any other pregnant woman)...

That seems bizarre to me-- is your OB in the habit of ordering lots of tests for you? Not to be cynical, but there are some docs out there who like to order lots of tests to collect the money from the insurance companies. 

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Loading the player...
  • It's odd because she is not the type to order a ton of tests she only two period now, one for the genetic screening and the other GD. I was surprised and thought I would be low risk since I am lighter starting out then I was when I got pregnant with my DD and I was negative with her. They said because I overweight, over 35 and on third pregnancy is makes me high risk. Odd to hear no one else being told the same.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Agree with PP, I think it is odd that you are being asked to test early solely because of your age when you have no past history or family risk factors. And you're lighter than you were during the last pregnancy, too. It doesn't add up for me. I would ask what evidence (as in, reputable research published in reputable journals) they are basing this request on. If they sputter something about that's just the way they do things, I would decline the test until the normal 24-26 week range.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I was 35 and 38 during both of my pregnancies and only had the one test around 26 weeks.
  • You have two risk factors -- age and being overweight. Your doctor is likely just being prudent. If you don't want to do the glucola drink, just ask for a fasting glucose and A1C.

I have PCOS, was 34, and was at a healthy pre-pregnancy weight with my son and I tested positive for GD at 26-28w. I am 38 now, overweight, and still have PCOS. I was not surprised to be GD again at 10-11w. 

• Too late re:declining, since it's done. I was kinda put on the spot, so just did it. I just didn't expect it..New Dr. but I told them I had tested negative for GD in both my past pregnancies, she said risk increases with age and with each subsequent pregnancy. I didn't argue. Hopefully it's an easy pass and I can just forget about it.
  • When will you get your results? Hope they come back well within passing range.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • 4th pregnancy I had GD. I was tested at 28 weeks. This pregnancy because I am having twins, have had DB before, am overweight, and previously gave birth to a child over 9 lbs I was asked if I wanted the test done, which I chose to do. Only because I would prefer to watch what I am eating now rather than risk needing to take insulin if I do Get it this time. First test was done at 16 weeks, excellent results of 5.2. Fingers crossed at 28 weeks levels will be low as well. I do watch what I eat just in case, DB was NOT fun, I had to take insulin, if I ate anything other than salads my levels spiked. And I had to do 3 amnios to check for lung maturity so I could be induced. Not to mention the up to 3 appts a week during the last month.

Odd that just the fact this is your 3rd pregnancy and your age your dr would order this test. Were any of your babies over 9 lbs at birth?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"