2nd Trimester
Options

21 weeks gained 16lbs

Hey everyone. I am 21 weeks pregnant with my second son! Pre-pregnancy I was 125lbs and I'm 5'10 but ever since I've gotten pregnant I kept active (As much as I can) and I don't eat any more than I normally do besides the odd craving. I always eat a lot (I love food...always have always will) but I never really gained. Even with my other pregnancy I walked out of the hospital with my pre-pregnancy pants on, but I was much younger 6 years ago! The thing is I'm up 16 lbs on week 21 and even the nurse that weighed me went "WOW" as a reaction to the scale. (This made me sad) But I don't find that I'm showing too too much, and everyone keeps saying the same thing. (I don't know if they are just being nice or not) The doctor said it should be fine for NOW because they don't know how much I will gain later in the pregnancy. I'm just concerned about how much is maybe too much, and I've been doing what I can, eating smaller quantities and more veggies and moving more etc, what the heck else can I do? It's a bit frustrating...I keep hearing all my pregnant friends who are much farther along than me say how little they gained and I've already gained so much more than them! :( 

Thanks girls!

Re: 21 weeks gained 16lbs

• Options
    That's not too much, especially if you were a normal weight before. On average, you should gain a pound a week. I was up 16 pounds at 20 weeks and I was overweight to begin with and no one has said a word to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

First, stop comparing yourself to others!! Second, that nurse was rude. Last, if you are active and eating healthily, smile!!  Every pregnancy is different and your body will and obviously is reacting differently this time around! I had gained 16lbs at 21 weeks.  Now I am 25 weeks and I am at 20lbs. I haven't gained anything in 2 weeks.  My OB says it is all normal!

Stay healthy, active, and positive mama!!  :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

5'10" and 125 lbs is tiny, so i wouldn't be surprised if your body wants to gain on the higher side of the 25-35lbs that you often hear about.  Or even slightly more.   You're body knows what it's doing and it's storing fat and doing other things to prepare for the rest of pregnancy and labor.   Even if you were hardly eating your body would be storing fat for what's coming up.

From webmd: 

Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?

• Baby: 8 pounds
    • Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    • Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    • Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    • Blood supply: 4 pounds
    • Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    • Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    • Total: 25-35 pounds

Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• Options
    First of all, don't compare yourself to others. Every pregnancy is different. Second of all, if your doctor isn't worried, don't worry. You are growing a baby, you will gain weight.
  • Options
    I will be 21 weeks tomorrow and I  have only gained 7 pounds the doctor said that it is fine because I already was a high weight so she said I am loosing weight due to healthy eating..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with everyone else, each pregnancy is different. Being 6 year older also makes unintended weight gain easier, even when you aren't pregnant. Not to mention that 125lbs at 5'10" is considered to be underweight and your OB will likely be looking for you to gain at least the recommended weight during this pregnancy, if not a few pounds more.

As long as you are making healthy food choices and not indulging in empty calories, I would try to relax and let your body do what it needs to do to sustain a healthy pregnancy.

For my first two pregnancies I started out slightly underweight and actually lost weight for the first 20 weeks thanks to HG. My total weight gain for each pregnancy was only around 15-18lbs.  This is my third pregnancy and because we have a better control on my extreme morning sickness, I'm up 7lbs at 15 weeks. I will admit that like you, I was a bit shocked at the weight gain since I eat extremely healthy, with my biggest indulgence being a tablespoon of almond butter with an apple or a graham cracker. LOL But I keep telling myself that if my body continues to gain weight at this rate even when my diet is heavy in vegetables and fruit, then that's what's needed for me to have a healthy pregnancy.

Hawaii
  • Options
    Its fine.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    That sounds completely normal to me. I am also 5'10 but started off weighing just over 10 lbs more than you. I think at 5'10 and 125 you would have technically been considered in the "underweight" range for BMI anyway, and when that's the case, extra weight put on during pregnancy is perfectly fine---your body probably needs it for your baby.  For comparison's sake, I've gained about 10 lbs at 25 weeks---but I also weighed 10 lbs more than you pre-pregnancy, so your weight gain sounds on track to me.
  • Options
    imagesunkissed7804:

First, stop comparing yourself to others!! Second, that nurse was rude. Last, if you are active and eating healthily, smile!!  Every pregnancy is different and your body will and obviously is reacting differently this time around! I had gained 16lbs at 21 weeks.  Now I am 25 weeks and I am at 20lbs. I haven't gained anything in 2 weeks.  My OB says it is all normal!

Stay healthy, active, and positive mama!!  :)

Agree!!!!

I am FT-er here & I am really not trying to worry about weight! I am trying to eat healthier, stay active & just be happy! It is what it is & I am not taking "eating for two literally" I want a healthy baby & if that means being 180 at the end of this then so be it!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    well I have already gained 30 pounds if it makes you feel better
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was the same as you at 21 weeks and even though I am eating healthfully and staying active I am at 18 pounds at 23.  My doctor said my rate of weight gain was nothing to worry about.  A woman with a healthy BMI at before conception should expect to gain 25-35 pounds, so being 16 at 21 weeks means you're doing just fine.  It is frustrating to hear others say they aren't gaining, but it's likely they were overweight to begin with.  Everyone is different, and every pregnancy is different.  It sounds like the woman who weighed you was just being very rude.
  • Options
    At my 21 week appointment I had also gained around 16lbs so far. My doctor or nurse never said anything was bad about it. This is my 3rd pregnancy and no matter what I do i gain about 50lbs. Everyone is different and every pregnancy can also be different as well. I wouldn't freak out.As long as everything is going good with you and the baby I wouldn't orry no matter what the doctor says.
  • Options
    I am 22 wks and gained 15 too.  I was also 125.  I had a meltdown last night but it hasnt stopped my from eating cake lol!  I think its normal....
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 20 weeks and I've gained 16 lbs. I was not a toothpick before pregnancy, but I had lost 100 lbs over the last 5 years...I was a size 10 when I got Pg....My dr was telling me I need to slow down the weight gain. I was a little upset. I'm still teaching my fitness classes..etc...He's just very conservative. 
    m/c #1 6/30/05 m/c #2 9/18/06 m/c #3 9/18/08 BFP 10/21/12....EDD 7/6/13....Praying this is my sticky baby. Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    According to your height and weight you are under your bodys ideal body weight so gaining 16 pounds in 21 weeks in normal! You are probably slender and your body needs that extra weight to support the pregnancy. You could gain 15-20 more pounds and still be fine. That nurse is rude and was out of line. Keep eating how you normally would, you dont want that baby to go hungry. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much girls, for your supportive and kind words! I'm very grateful! xoxoxo :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"