Blended Families

Update to post high school plans

Thanks everyone for all your helpful info. It helped me add questions to my list we had not thought of before.

So last night SD, BM, DH, and I all talked and it went well. BM and SD agreed to wait to sign up for the guard till we review more options. We are meeting with the recruiter and all have our lists of questions. SD gave me 3 local colleges she is interested in which I am scheduling visits for. We will ask questions as if she is in the guard and as if she is just a student.

I am thrilled! The guard maybe the best option but at least now I know we are going to investigate may avenues and get more information before she makes that choice. It is SDs life and she will make the final choice but now we can help guide her in getting information to make the best choice for her.

Thanks agian! All the responses were helpful!!! Now we are on to our research......

Re: Update to post high school plans

• My question is? Why can't she go National Guard and College at the same time? 

Granted, she would have to wait until she finished boot camp and tech school AND she would have to see if she got deployed (or sent somewhere to augment the ADSM who are deployed - at one point 1/4 of the Airmen at Spangdahlem AB in Germany were activated NG), but is seems that you all are making this one or the other.

Unless I missed something in the previous post.  NG is still "part time" (big air quotes because I know each MOS is different).

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

My question is? Why can't she go National Guard and College at the same time? 

Granted, she would have to wait until she finished boot camp and tech school AND she would have to see if she got deployed (or sent somewhere to augment the ADSM who are deployed - at one point 1/4 of the Airmen at Spangdahlem AB in Germany were activated NG), but is seems that you all are making this one or the other.

Unless I missed something in the previous post.  NG is still "part time" (big air quotes because I know each MOS is different).

Maybe it wasn't clear but we are researching the NG with college or college without the NG. College is in her plans either way. She is looking at the NG as a way to pay for college which isn't a bad option. I just want her to look at all the options. Signing on for 8 years is a big choice and shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Loading the player...
  • imagewendilea:
    I recommend meeting with the financial aid department when you are on campus, if possible.  They have a lot of information on the GI Bill and how/when it can be used that the recruiter may not be completely upfront with.

This is a huge part of the plan. We don't want her to get blind sided later with the "fine print". Thanks!

• imagewendilea:

I talked  to a friend of mine who still works in Financial Aid, since it's been a few years for me.  She said "You have to be in for a bit be to eligible, cause you have to pay into it, but she would only be eligible for either chapter 1606 or 1607 and they only pay a couple hundred a month, so that would only work for like community colleges or something cheap."

Just an FYI 

One of the schools we are looking at is a community college. WooHoo! I am writing down the 1606 and 1607 and to verify waiting period. Thanks for checking!

• We are going the community college route with SS1. He can barely do his high school work, there is no way that I would send this kid to a college campus on my dollar. We are also having him pay the first semester/year before we pitch in. I think a lot of kids are simply not ready for this type of expensive freedom and lack of decision making
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are going the community college route with SS1. He can barely do his high school work, there is no way that I would send this kid to a college campus on my dollar. We are also having him pay the first semester/year before we pitch in. I think a lot of kids are simply not ready for this type of expensive freedom and lack of decision making
    together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards