Pregnant after 35
Options

I'll be 35 years old when I'm 18 weeks, when is it safe to announce?

I'm new, a bit scared of my age and over whelmed in general, just found out we are expecting.  I'm really healthy overall and normal periods etc.. We want to be really cautious b/c I've seen so many friends go through miscarriages, just recently my friend had one at 14 weeks.  When would my percentages at age 35 (although I'm 34 now) be lowest of miscarrying and "safe"  (although I understand its never safe until they are born and breathing) to tell the family and friends?

Re: I'll be 35 years old when I'm 18 weeks, when is it safe to announce?

• Options
    There is no magic week. I was told after a heartbeat your chance of mc drops to 1. We lost our last baby at 17 weeks... Announce whenever you feel most at ease. This time we waited until after the A/S.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• Options
    We announced a little over 18 weeks after we had MaterniT21 and AS results on FB. After having a 26 weeker and a mmc at 10 weeks, I swore I wouldn't tell anyone until the baby was born (on FB), but as the weeks passed by and the fact that I am being so closely monitored, we felt comfortable to share when we did. We also didn't tell family until I was 13 weeks along. I dreaded having to tell them about another mc if it happened so we waited with them as well. You just have to do what you are comfortable with.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It just depends on your comfort level. We told family at 9 weeks b/c it was Christmas and everyone was together. We started telling others after 1st tri was over.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Options

I was 36 when I got pregnant with my first, and I told my parents before 8 weeks.  I figured I'd need their support if something went wrong anyway, and they held off on telling others until I gave them the go-ahead.  We told DH's parents about a week or so later, not sure why.

I think we told both sets of parents around the same time (8 weeks) about no.2 as well.

Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I'm 38 and my chances of miscarriage are the same after 12 weeks as yours or a woman of 25's. (When you get older, it's the egg quality that is typically the issue, not your uterus.) I had my MaterniT21 test at 10 weeks, got the results by 12 weeks, so we felt confident announcing at 12-13 weeks. We told my sister and my parents (and my aunt and uncle from Australia, who were visiting my parents) really early, though, because I had to explain why I was throwing up every 30 minutes. They were very supportive when we had our CP/miscarriage earlier (at 7.5 weeks), so I didn't feel bad telling them.

Do what feels right for you, though.
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options
    There really isn't a 100% safe cut-off date, Unfortunately bad things can just randomly happen. You have to decide what's best for you, we told immediate family and good friends early because I knew I'd need their support but waited to tell DH's family until after the NT Scan results came back. I told my boss at 8 wks just so he would know why I had appts, but told everyone else at work I was close to around 16wks and some others at work I've just let figure out on their own!
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!

• Options
    I'm 39. Announced twins at 12 weeks. Lost one due to a chromosomal abnormality at 15 weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We announced at 12w after getting good results on both the NT scan and MaterniT21.

I'm 35, and I had two early miscarriages immediately before this pregnancy.   It's my understanding that, at this point, I have a less than 1% chance of miscarriage--but if it happened now, honestly, I'd want the support.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I am 10 weeks 1 day I just turned 39 last Friday hubby will be 41 on Feb 29. Hubby has a nephew that is Downs so I am so nervous.
    We have had one US all was ok that was at 7 weeks have to wait til next week for my physical.
    We told close friends and family. I had to tell work last week because I a so bloated I look 5 months pregnant. I could see co workers looking down at me. Have to admit so much easier w work knowing and everyone is awesome always making sure I am ok.
    This is our first too and my scarest thing is/was my age. It is getting easier with the passing weeks but I have not had any morning sickness just tired and emotional. Feel free to keep in touch if you need someone to chat with. I am right with you!!!

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

It's up to you.  With all of my pregnancies I told my close friends right after I tested (2-3 people), even after I had a miscarriage.  After the miscarriage, I realized that with subsequent pregnancies, I would need someone's shoulder to cry on should it happen again, so I told the people who I knew would be there for me.  This is my third pregnancy and will be my second child.  With this one, I told my close friends right after I tested, my family a couple weeks later, a few other friends a couple weeks after that, then just let everyone else figure it out on their own LOL.  

Oh and I'm here to tell you, the worrying and fear for their safety does not stop once they're born.  ;) 

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"