3rd Trimester

34 weeks measuring 38

Is anyone else in this same situation?  Today my OB measured my fundal height and said I was measuring 4 weeks larger than I should.  I have in other pregnancies measured 2 weeks ahead and I never really gave that too much thought but 4 weeks just seems like a lot.  She said I could just be on the road to having another big baby but she is scheduling an u/s for next week.

Re: 34 weeks measuring 38

• I was in the same situation, but it was 3 weeks instead of 4. I had multiple growth ultrasounds and they ultimately ended up wanting to schedule an induction because of a "large" baby.

LO came on his own last Saturday at just over 9 lbs.

If I were you, I'd start thinking about what you'd want if they start talking about inductions/c-sections, and keep in mind that fundal height and growth ultrasounds can be off. The u/s themselves can be off by 1-2 lbs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a feeling she will talk induction but I have already discussed possibly inducing early (1 week) because my bp usually climbs toward the end of pregnancy and to be honest I like the idea of knowing when the baby will be born since I already have 3 to make plans for when I have the baby. 

She induced me the last time a few days early because of my bp and it was a positive experience.  My son weighed 8 lbs. 12 oz. 

My DD that I had before him was 9 lbs 10 oz. so I know that I can birth a larger baby vaginally.  I am just not sure how big?  I didn't have to push much (2nd baby) but I do remember my OB kind of having to pull her out or steer her out if that makes any sense.  Not that she was stuck but that it may have been a tight squeeze. 

I am just a little afraid that I am on track to have an 11 lb baby or something crazy like that.  10 lbs. I can handle but 11 just sounds insane.

Another concern I have is that there is just something "wrong" with the baby to be measuring so far ahead.

• Loading the player...
  • imagetmsgrl:

Another concern I have is that there is just something "wrong" with the baby to be measuring so far ahead. 

A baby can measure big because babies grow at different rates.  It certainly doesn't mean there's something wrong with your baby!  Are either you or your H big?  How big were you both when you were born?

I measure three weeks ahead, initially due to having several fibroids, although currently it looks like it's because his head and abdomen measure three weeks ahead.  Sigh. 

Dec 2016 BMB August Siggy Challenge: Awkward Back to School Photos

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead, same as I did with my last pregnancy. I have a growth u/s at my next appointment. The reason I was measuring big last time (and likely this time as well) were the way I was carrying, slightly more than normal amniotic fluid, and a bigger than average--but not huge--baby. (DS was born 3 days late at 8 lbs. 1 oz.). My doctor never talked induction (well, except at 40w, to tell me when she WOULD start considering it - but it had nothing to do with how I was measuring).
  • At 35 weeks I was measuring 3 weeks ahead. They did a growth ultrasound at 36 weeks, and she had stopped growing rapidly. However, she weighed 7lbs and 14 oz! The baby was still measuring 38 weeks, which made me only 2 weeks ahead-in normal range. Now I am 37 weeks, and she still is measuring at 38. So, the growth may plateau like mine did and you will have nothing to worry about! My doctor told me they wouldn't induce or do a c-section until 39 weeks just because she's big. There would have to be other problems too. Good luck!
  • With my first son, I measured 3 weeks ahead and my water broke 3 weeks early.  With this pregnancy I am also measuring 3 weeks ahead. I'm going to plan on this little guy coming 3 weeks early also, though I know he could be hold out until EDD.   
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"