Baby Names

Brinley or Brynlee?

Darn. The poll function isn't working right now, but just wanted to get your opinion. How do you prefer to spell the name "Brinley"? 

This is what we've picked for the girl name, but are undecided on spelling. There's a million ways to spell it, but we like Brinley or Brynlee the best.

What do you prefer? Why? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Brinley or Brynlee?

• I really dislike the name but I guess Brinley. What about Brynn?

• I'm sorry, those are both completely awful.

Why not Brynn? 

• Loading the player...
  • Like I said, we've decided on the name. Just looking for spelling options.
  • My honest answer is neither, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Brinley.  It looks less cutesy/made up (less being the operative word here).
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would go with Brinley.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageBeautyfromAshes:
    Like I said, we've decided on the name. Just looking for spelling options.

I hate the -lee trend but Brinley looks like brine, and makes me think of pickles.  In this instance I guess Brynlee to get the Br-IN-lee pronounciation i/o Br-EIN-lee

• I really dislike this name as well, but I think the spelling Brinley is more pleasing to the eye.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • imageKmommy91:
    I really dislike this name as well, but I think the spelling Brinley is more pleasing to the eye.
    This.
    Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Neither, all I see when I hear this is "brine" which is not cute or feminine.  What about Britney instead?  Spelled normally.  
  • I like the name, it's different...I agree with most on the spelling of Brinley.
  • Brinley - it looks like a "correct" spelling whereas anything with an "ee" on the end always strikes me as looking made up or intentionally trying to be cutesy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Umm, ok first off she didn't ask if you liked the name or not. so you comments re: the actual name are pointless and unwarranted.

if you don't like the name keep it moving. this is what she wants to name her child.

i would go with the first spelling :) 

image image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wow people she already had the name choosen just looking for help on spelling... if you dont like or dont care then why reply?? 

i think Brinley... Cute!  

image BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagejrjl450:

Umm, ok first off she didn't ask if you liked the name or not. so you comments re: the actual name are pointless and unwarranted.

if you don't like the name keep it moving. this is what she wants to name her child.

If you post on a public forum you should be prepared to receive all types of criticism and responses.   

• Neither! How about Brynn or Bree?

Edit: I didn't see that you weren't asking for suggestions.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I think I like the Brynlee spelling better. 

I don't know how you would pronounce it, and if it would be different but my cousin is dating a Brenlee

• If you post on a public forum you should be prepared to receive all types of criticism and responses.   

This! Especially here!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• image526SadieSadie:

imageBeautyfromAshes:
    Like I said, we've decided on the name. Just looking for spelling options.

I hate the -lee trend but Brinley looks like brine, and makes me think of pickles.  In this instance I guess Brynlee to get the Br-IN-lee pronounciation i/o Br-EIN-lee

this  

• I really like this name and would probably spell it Brynlee.
  • The motto of this board, which most people would gather from lurking a bit but should probably be in big neon letters on top of the page is, "We will tell you to your face what people will say about your child's name behind your back."  Not everyone will like your DD's name - you might as well face it now, because both you and (more importantly) she will have to live with it for the rest of your lives.  I know it hurts your feelings now, but it's not your name, you know?  You're making this decision for someone else, and it's kind of a big deal or you wouldn't be here.

I agree with most PPs in other respects as well as preferring Brinley of the two spellings you're considering.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Vey good points, thank you! :]
  • imagecapulet:

The motto of this board, which most people would gather from lurking a bit but should probably be in big neon letters on top of the page is, "We will tell you to your face what people will say about your child's name behind your back."  Not everyone will like your DD's name - you might as well face it now, because both you and (more importantly) she will have to live with it for the rest of your lives.  I know it hurts your feelings now, but it's not your name, you know?  You're making this decision for someone else, and it's kind of a big deal or you wouldn't be here.

I agree with most PPs in other respects as well as preferring Brinley of the two spellings you're considering.

• imageMelRC117:
    imagejrjl450:

Umm, ok first off she didn't ask if you liked the name or not. so you comments re: the actual name are pointless and unwarranted.

If you don't like the board, you keep moving.  After all we're just a bunch of hoes who have nothing better to do.

I know I used it in the other post, but it bears a re-post.

• Okay! Thanks for the opinions. I think I have a general consensus. ;] Poll closed haha! ;]
  • I guess I'm in the minority, but I prefer Brynnlee. I usually hate names with random Ys, but Brynn is a name I'm familiar with and it seems more correct than Brinley.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagecapulet:

The motto of this board, which most people would gather from lurking a bit but should probably be in big neon letters on top of the page is, "We will tell you to your face what people will say about your child's name behind your back."  Not everyone will like your DD's name - you might as well face it now, because both you and (more importantly) she will have to live with it for the rest of your lives.  I know it hurts your feelings now, but it's not your name, you know?  You're making this decision for someone else, and it's kind of a big deal or you wouldn't be here.

You made up a name and/or saw this made-up name and are continuing to perpetuate the problem.  Don't get your panties in a wad because we told you what we honestly thought of the name.  

When you get a resounding "it's not a good name" from this board, perhaps you should take it to heart. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Oh I took it to heart all right. Thank you. :] And I definitely don't think anything I've said showed my panties were in a wad, sorry if it came across that way.
  • Brinley is the better spelling.
  • As an alternative, how about two names (like an acquaintance's daughter is Sara Marie, not just Sara) such as Brynn Leigh?

That way you get the name you want, but the spelling is more traditional.

Otherwise, I'm also in the minority, I'd go with Brynnlee (two N's).

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • imagerobynlesley:
    As an alternative, how about two names like an acquaintance's daughter is Sara Marie, not just Sara such as Brynn Leigh?That way you get the name you want, but the spelling is more traditional. Otherwise, I'm also in the minority, I'd go with Brynnlee two N's.

I was just going to suggest Brynn Leigh.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLittledeer84:
    imagerobynlesley:
    As an alternative, how about two names like an acquaintance's daughter is Sara Marie, not just Sara such as Brynn Leigh?That way you get the name you want, but the spelling is more traditional.
    I was just going to suggest Brynn Leigh.

This. I was going to suggest a double FN or FN MN or double MN if you already have that selected. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Of the two, I think I prefer Brynlee. It seems more feminine, and Brinley reminds me of a last name for some reason. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• The name is NMS at all. I guess Brynlee looks more feminine?
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageJoy2611:

If you must, then Brinley.

Brinlee or Brynlee just looks so incredibly juvenile.

Meh, it still sounds so incredibly juvenile so really what does it matter what the spelling it is?  She wants her daughter so be a perpetual 4 yr old apparently.

Married 9-4-04

• imagequeenbone:
    imageJoy2611:

Meh, it still sounds so incredibly juvenile so really what does it matter what the spelling it is?  She wants her daughter so be a perpetual 4 yr old apparently.

See, I don't understand why it is necessary to get nasty. I am fine with opinions, but I don't get why it needs to turn rude. Simply saying you think the name sounds juvenile is enough, why take it a step further? I can understand your point of view without the personal jab.

• imageBeautyfromAshes:
    imagequeenbone:
    imageJoy2611:

See, I don't understand why it is necessary to get nasty. I am fine with opinions, but I don't get why it needs to turn rude. Simply saying you think the name sounds juvenile is enough, why take it a step further? I can understand your point of view without the personal jab.

I wasn't nasty in my first response. But then when I realized that you were a tattletale there was really no reason for me to hold back how I really feel about the name.  If you don't need to be respectful, why should I?

Married 9-4-04

• Did you read the post I put on my BMB? Because it in no way bashed you ladies, not one bit. It was simply a "Whoa! Don't post there unless you want brutal honesty!" warning. Isn't that what you've all been telling me anyways? Am I not allowed to do that? I can understand if I got rude or nasty that you in turn might do the same, but if you read through my posts, I've truly been nothing but kind and I guess I don't understand the harshness. I would love for you to point out where I was disrespectful, because I would apologize for that. I really don't think I ever said anything even close to rude about anyone, at all.
  • imageBeautyfromAshes:
    Did you read the post I put on my BMB? Because it in no way bashed you ladies, not one bit. It was simply a "Whoa! Don't post there unless you want brutal honesty!" warning. Isn't that what you've all been telling me anyways? Am I not allowed to do that? I can understand if I got rude or nasty that you in turn might do the same, but if you read through my posts, I've truly been nothing but kind and I guess I don't understand the harshness. I would love for you to point out where I was disrespectful, because I would apologize for that. I really don't think I ever said anything even close to rude about anyone, at all.

But, why would you post anywhere for opinions unless you want brutal honesty?  Would you really want to ask for people's opinions and hear them all say that they love it when in reality they hate it?  That doesn't do anyone any favors.

Don't take it so personally, it's just internet forum. 

Edit: I understand your original question was about the spelling and not the name itself, so my point is more hypothetical. 

• imagecaramia582:

imageBeautyfromAshes:
    Did you read the post I put on my BMB? Because it in no way bashed you ladies, not one bit. It was simply a "Whoa! Don't post there unless you want brutal honesty!" warning. Isn't that what you've all been telling me anyways? Am I not allowed to do that? I can understand if I got rude or nasty that you in turn might do the same, but if you read through my posts, I've truly been nothing but kind and I guess I don't understand the harshness. I would love for you to point out where I was disrespectful, because I would apologize for that. I really don't think I ever said anything even close to rude about anyone, at all.

But, why would you post anywhere for opinions unless you want brutal honesty?  Would you really want to ask for people's opinions and hear them all say that they love it when in reality they hate it?  That doesn't do anyone any favors.

Don't take it so personally, it's just internet forum. 

Edit: I understand your original question was about the spelling and not the name itself, so my point is more hypothetical. 

Well, I think sometimes there is a need for brutal honesty, and sometimes simply stating your opinions is quite enough. When I asked for spelling suggestions, I had NO idea it would turn into bashing the name completely. So yes, I posted on the BMB that they might want to steer clear of this board if they're not prepared for having their name ripped apart if it isn't in the style of the board. And I did so in a very light hearted way that was never meant to offend anyone over here.

I wasn't prepared, now I know better. Hopefully so do a lot of other ladies. But I was never rude, I never attacked anyone else, and I think if you met me in real life you'd like me. So I don't understand why others have turned it into personal attacks over a simple name choice. That's all. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"