3rd Trimester

37 weeks and 17th percentile

I measured small last week so today my doctors gave me an ultrasound to check if everything was okay with the baby. They said the ultrasound was great and he's conpletely healthy but he weighs 5lbs and 6oz. The dr then explained how he is on the smaller side and in the 17th percentile. I was then given a non stress test which they also said was perfect. The dr even said it was great, then said for my next week to have another u/s and nst. I don't understand why I need that done again if everything was perfect just he is small. I weighed 106lbs and 5'6" before pregnancy so I've always been on the small side too. Could that have something to do with this?

Re: 37 weeks and 17th percentile

• I wouldn't worry, and I don't know why doctors put so much stock in how "big" the baby is. 17th percentile sounds just fine to me. I'm a small person, my mom's side is all short, my DD was born 5lb9oz and has ALWAYS been on the bottom edge of the growth curve, even now at 7yrs old she only weighs 45lbs (and is about 46 inches). She's healthy, just a tiny person like her mommy!
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't worry.  Some people have large babies, some people have small babies.  It doesn't mean he will be small his whole life or that he isn't perfect. 

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby's size is just an estimate, anyway. I think the doctor is CYA.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • My daughter was born at 38 weeks, and only weighed 5lbs, 9oz--and she was 21 inches long.  She was completely healthy, scored perfectly on her Apgar, etc.  She's caught up and has been in the 35th percentile in weight, and 70th percentile in height.  She's tall and skinny like her dad.  But her growth has been consistant and that's all they care about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"