Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Switching from BF to FF (Esp MSPI mommas)

So LO just turned 5 months old today and I think I'm finally ready to make the switch from BF to FF...

A little background: LO was diagnosed with the Cows Milk Protein Intolerance/Allergy when he was 4 weeks old.  I eliminated all dairy out of my diet which seemed to resolve LO's issues, but I've now been on a dairy free diet for 4 months now.  Needless to say the holiday season was extremely difficult and I would like to be able to eat more than meat and veggies (esp since with BF I've had a grandiose appetite without being able to eat much).  

LO does get one supplemental bottle of similac alimentum and takes it just fine so I am not super worried about him rejecting FF.  I still feel breast is best which is why my plan is to switch to FF but pump so that when/if LO gets over his intolerance soon he will have a whole stash of BM ready to go for him.  So onto my questions...

1. Should I switch LO to the similac alimentum formula or another brand that is better for the milk protein intolerance?

2. How should I make the switch? (Gradual/cold turkey)

3. How many oz/hour do you feed your 5 month old when using formula?

TIA ladies.   

Re: Switching from BF to FF (Esp MSPI mommas)

• Ok, so even though my LO didn't have an intolerance. When I switched my LO to FF I asked my Pedi. and she didn't recommend cold turkey because of the fact that I wasn't going to pump anymore either. So obviously if you are planning on pumping still you would be able to go cold turkey.. I would  go by how your LO is reacting...if he takes to FF good then I would just stick with it.

The formula is good to stick with what you have already been giving him but if you want to change I would do it before you actually make the transition. So that when you start FF you already have the new Formula you want to use. That's what my Pedi reccomended.

My son is 4 months old and he is suppose to be eating 6-7 oz every 3-4 hours. According to a chart I found. And he eat about 6oz every 3-4 hours. 

Hope this helps you and good luck with everything!

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

May O12 Siggy Challenge!

• Thank you for the feedback! I called my pedi to see what she says but I haven't heard back yet. Appreciate the response!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would replace a bfing session with a bottle of formula every couple of days until he is on all formula.  It may take a couple of weeks but that would gentilist on your boobs rather than getting engorged going cold turkey.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My DD has a sensitivity to something in my diet and I was not able to breastfeed her. She is on Similac Sensitive and does really well with it. She eats about 6 oz every 2 to 3 hours during the day.

I personally wouldn't go cold turkey. I gradually decreased pumping so I didn't get engorged and I have a freezer supply. But I wouldn't count on your LO being able to drink it later. I tried some BM this past weekend and it didn't go well. It was very depressing. I'm probably going to have to donate my whole stash. Anyway, I greatly admire you for being able to go dairy free this long. I tried it for two weeks and it was incredibly difficult not that it worked anyway.

Edit mobile ate my dash
    TTC #1 since May 2010
    9/10 and 1/11 Normal blood work
    2/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    4/11 50 mg Clomid = BFN
    5/11 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    6/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    7/11 2.5 mg Femara = BFN
    SA normal and HSG all clear
    11/11 14 HMG shots with HCG trigger = BFN
    12/11 Femara + HMG = BFP!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I switched DS1 from breast milk to Neocate (the most extreme "hypoallergenic" formula -- no dairy/soy protein at all) at around 8 weeks of age.  We tried mixing formula with BM, but he didn't like it, so we just gave him straight formula and he did fine.

If LO is fine on Alimentum, I'd go with that.  I think it's a little cheaper and you can actually buy it in the store vs. Neocate which I purchased on online direct from the manufacturer and had to be shipped.

DS1 outgrew his MSPI by 9.5 months old.  He refused to drink Neocate any longer.  We gave him regular Enfamil and after 5 days of that, we found no microscopic blood in his diapers.  He appears to have some sort of other food intolerance now (sorbitol, and something else I suspect, causing very messy poo) but no blood.  They've run lots of tests on his poo so I am sure that MSPI no longer plays a role.  Besides, he was fine at 9.5 months.  I don't think it goes away and then comes back.

Anyway, the diet blows, so based on my experience with DS1, I'll be experimenting with a little soy in my diet when DS2 turns 9 months, if not a little sooner.  He is almost 6 months now.

I think 5 months was near DS1 peak intake of formula and it was in the 30-32 oz range for the whole day.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"