Breastfeeding
Options

Question about the parts on a breast pump... HELP!!

Ok, so I have the Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced breastpump. I bought it from someone on Craigslist. Anyway, I have not had my baby yet, but am curious as to what the parts actually do. Ok, not all the parts, just the membranes. What do they do? How often should they be replaced? I have looked all over Medela's website and googled it as well, but havent really gotten any clear answers other than they have something to do with suction. Im planning on trying to breastfeed exclusively as I wont be going back to work after maternity leave runs out, but I also want to pump so that my husband can feed him as well. Does anyone know or have any experience working with these things? This is our first chile, so ANY help or advice or guidance is really appreciated!! Thanks!!
Melissa Lynn

Re: Question about the parts on a breast pump... HELP!!

• Options

First of all, I'd replace all replaceable parts, especially if you didn't know this person.

https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Breast-Pump-Accessory-Set/dp/B00092A7E8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1360027221&sr=8-6&keywords=medela+extra+parts

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Tubing-Medela-Advanced-Breast/dp/B0033B9CZ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1360027309&sr=1-1&keywords=medela+pisa+tubing

The membranes make the pump suction as well as it does. It depends on what kind of pumping you're going to be doing or how often as to how often to replace them. I EP, so I replace mine once a month.

A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    The parts are pretty simple. I have one. The membranes provide you with the suction. Without those you will not get anything on the suction. As far as replacement I am not sure about that but they do need cleaning otherwise they get nasty buildup inside from milk residue. The membranes are really inexpensive. The other parts I believe you can maintain with just a wash and hot boil to sanitize.
    imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't used that kind of pump so I'm not familiar with the parts. However, I did want to say that when I was pregnant I posted on here asking breast pump advice and everyone told me not to buy/borrow a used breast pump because even replacing the parts you could catch something from the previous owner. I'm not saying that I know this to be true, but it's something I would recommend you look into. I remember so many people warning me and their reasons were good enough that I went out and bought a new pump.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The membranes help create the suction as a 1 way valve. The pump blows air in and out through the tube and the membranes enclose the nipple completely causing the suction pulling the milk out when the air is pulled into the pump. When the air is blown out of the tube, the membrane valve opens, dropping the milk into the bottle. I have forgotten to put them on a few times and there is no suction at all.  I heard you are supposed to replace them about every 3 months.  I have yet to replace mine, I keep them clean and they are still in great shape. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!
    Melissa Lynn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"