Military Families

FTM with questions (surprise surprise)

Hi ladies :) I'm a FTM and I'm having some questions regarding a few things so I'll just give a little background first (don't worry, it's brief). 

My hubby and I are in Fort Stewart, GA and he was told a couple weeks ago that he may be deploying. Towards the end of this past week he was handed a packing list and told that he and another guy have high chances of being deployed soon. We have discussed what would be best for both of our peace of minds with me being pregnant and we've decided that if he gets deployed I will move back to our home in Albuquerque, NM. Here come my questions!

1. I don't believe the military hospital back in ABQ deals with labor and delivery, I think they refer to another hospital/hospital-branch in town but I don't know that for sure. If you are Air Force and stationed there, is this the case? We have Prime, would there be out of pocket charges if there isn't a military hospital to give birth in?

2. Does TriCare cover costs if we decide to use a hospital birthing center if there are some around? Or no? I'd really like to use one because I'm not a fan of being stuck in a hospital room but I'm worried my parents' house is too far away in the event of an emergency that I'd be more comfortable in a home-like environment while being near the hospital. Plus, I like the idea of being able to get in a tub and move around freely and have room. 

Married 12.20.2010
BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: FTM with questions (surprise surprise)

• 1. As long as you have a referral from your primary care manager, there are no out of pocket costs for labor and delivery, no matter where you deliver. 

2. This depends on whether or not the birthing center is in-network. If its attached to the hospital and billed through their billing office, you're probably fine but call Tricare and ask just to be sure. You can use the search feature on Tricare.mil to find out whether the midwives who delivering the birthing center are in-network providers. If they are, you'll be covered. If not, you can opt to pay cash up from and submit your bill for reimbursement.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Thank you so much ladies :) This was very helpful and I will remember to ask these questions if hubby gets deployed.
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm currently in Albuquerque and had my boys here. You are correct, there is no MTF here that handles OB. Prime members used to have to go to Pres, but now I believe you can go to any of the hospitals.

I had an amazing experience with UNM and highly recommend them. My boys were high risk and everything was handled beautifully. If you aren't a highrisk patient you can also have a midwife at UNM.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"