New York Babies
Options

renting in nyc

Hey ladies,

I'm new here. My husband was just offered a job at Columbia University and we are trying to decide if it is even possible to take it. I am a stay at home mom and I'm really overwhelmed at apartment prices. We own in Minneapolis and will most likely keep the house and rent in NYC.

Can people recommend places/neighborhoods to look in that are safe and family friendly but aren't asking 4 k for a 2 bedroom? I had a friend who lived near sunset park forever, but he is super weird about when I ask questions about the neighborhood. All I get is "of course its safe...I live here"...not super helpful! 

TIA

IMG_2448
"Be the Lego Lady"

Re: renting in nyc

• Options
    If he's at Columbia, the UWS (upper west side) would be most convenient for you. You can look in morningside heights and should be able to find something reasonable. There are tons of families there. As for Brooklyn, sunset park would be a loooong commute up to CU. Is he at the university or the med center? The university is along the 1 line, so you could be by the 2/3 (like in north park slope), and then he could transfer to the 1. if it's the med center, that's also off the 1, or the A/C. The med Center is in Washington Heights, which has some okay areas and some sketchy areas, but you could definitely find a good deal there.

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • Options
    Morningside Heights is pretty safe and nice, and you can probably find a reasonably good deal in the upper Upper West Side between 92nd and 110th streets. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Streeteasy.com is the best resource for browsing nyc listing if you look in any neighborhood 
  • Options
    Look in Jersey City NJ. Is only 7 minutes from downtown Manhattan and the Path train can take your husband midtown in a matter of minutes. You can find a 2 bedroom apartment between 2500-3000 very close to the water and the path. Save, Tons of parks, restaurant and young couples/kids. I live here for the past 3 years and really like it.
  • Options

Thank you so much! Yes. He will be at the arts campus. I just have no idea where to even start looking, but this is a great starting place. Someone also suggested Newark. What kind or reputation does it have?

thanks again! 

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Options

STAY AWAY from Newark. not safe

Columbia may offer subsidized housing as part of his employment package. You should have him ask if they can help with it at all. I would suggest living near campus or anywhere on the Upper West Side although to find a 2 bedroom under 4K you won't have an elevator or doorman.

• Options

You can find a 2br in the UES for around $3k a month.  Closer to the East River is quieter, more family-friendly.  If you're not worried about public schools you can find more space in the East 90s.  Just keep in mind that applying almost anywhere in the city you will need to show an income of 40x the annual rent (sometimes more depending on the management company).  And, you will need to decide if you want "amenities" like washer/dryer in the building, etc. 

The terminology may be overwhelming (it was for me).  I think you're going to want a "convertible 2" or "junior 3".

Another option is Nyack and other areas around Palisades State Park, where Columbia has another campus.  There is a free shuttle bus from the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory to the Morningside Campus, though I'm not sure of the schedule. 

• Options

Thank you guys! I'Ve now gone from overwhelmed to kinda depressed. I knew the COL would be way higher but some of these apartments are so tiny for way more than our mortgage :(

Ok, pity party over. What about  Washinton Heights? They seem to have more affordable housing but is it safe? I will be staying at home with our 2 year old and want to feel ok about going out just the 2 of us.

And I looked into subsidized housing but there is a really long waiting list and its doubtful we could get a 2 bedroom let alone a 3 ( baby number 2 will be coming in the winter :)

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Options
    How long of a commute is your husband willing to make?
  • Options
    20-30 minutes would be ideal, but up to 45. He's kind of spoiled now and only has a 10 minute commute ;)
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Options
    Morningside Heights is a good option. Inwood is a little further uptown but beautiful neighborhood with lots of nice park space. That would be my personal first choice. Upper East Side is okay too. I think Sunset Park has nice qualities and areas and would have no qualms about living there as a single woman but for me it's not safe enough for my family. It's also quite far from Columbia. I'd recommend looking at crime stats or a crime map of New York if that's your biggest worry. It's generally a safe city as far as large ones go and I have no qualms about having a child here. However, you do want to investigate your neighborhood carefully before committing to something. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options

You can also try looking in Astoria (Queens) it's nice, and safe, and slightly more reasonable prices for more space (although it's getting more expensive) and there's a bus that will take him straight over to Columbia's campus. The commute would be very short and it would feel less like you're living in a busy city so you can be a little removed.  Good luck! 

• Options
    Look at Glenwood apartments.  Check out Hampton Court. We live here but are moving.  I love the building though and it is very affordable.  We pay under 3 for two bedroom two bath.
  • Options
    imagephotoelise:

Thank you guys! I'Ve now gone from overwhelmed to kinda depressed. I knew the COL would be way higher but some of these apartments are so tiny for way more than our mortgage :(

Ok, pity party over. What about  Washinton Heights? They seem to have more affordable housing but is it safe? I will be staying at home with our 2 year old and want to feel ok about going out just the 2 of us.

And I looked into subsidized housing but there is a really long waiting list and its doubtful we could get a 2 bedroom let alone a 3 ( baby number 2 will be coming in the winter :)

STAY AWAY FROM WASHINGTON HEIGHTS!!! NOT safe AT ALL!!!

As PP mentioned, Queens is very nice! Astoria, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens ( I love near Forest Hills and Kew Gardens) are all very safe and great neighborhoods. Forest Hills is full of young families, parks, and there's plenty to do. Plus it takes about 20 mins to get into Manhattan. My mom is a real estate agent, if you really need help you're welcome to message me and I can give you her info.

Good luck! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I would say start from west 86 street to west 110 street (central park west to riverside drive.) west 111th street to west 114 street (columbus ave. to riverside drive) Lived in nyc all my life.Lived in the areas above for 15 years.
    Nicole and Roy Parents of Nhari 7/10/04 and Aicha 7/11/05 Due Date baby #3: August 22,2013 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thank you all so much. He is meeting with someone there this week so we will have a better idea of when we will be needing to make a decision. It is just so scary to leave family and friends and move, but it is nice having some better ideas of where or where not to be looking for houses.

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Options
    EMF70EMF70 member
    I have a friend who bought an apartment in Washington Heights right next to Fort Trion Park.  She really likes it and this is someone who moved from the suburbs.  Like most areas in NY, there are good an bad places.  Speak to a broker, be prepared for 15% brokerage fee, and visit the areas during the day at night. 
  • Options
    Astoria is a great place for a family. On a side note my husband does real estate if you wanted to contact him to see whats available. His name is David and his email is DTaylor@dsarealty.com.  I'm just 6wks pregnant now but we'll be looking to move in a couple of years. The school systems in my neighborhood (East Williamsburg) are horrible. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    eve34eve34 member

Lots of goos suggestions here, but I didn't see anyone suggest Riverdale which is a very nice part of the Bronx, there are some nice buildings there, subway to the upper west side, and express buses to Manhattan.  Family friendly!

Check  it out as well! Good Luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"