Success after IF

And the award goes to ...

The award for Piece of $h!t Parent of the Year goes to...

MOI!

My baby fell down the stairs this afternoon. It was horrible, it took 10 years off of my life and I feel like the worst parent on the face of this earth. 

Long story short - he survived his first trip to the ER and (thankfully) left with nothing but a few bumps and bruises and one stitch on the top of his head.   

I have been shook up all day/night.  I can't belive that I dropped the ball like this.  I can't believe that this happened to me.  I can't belive I took my eyes off of him for literally only seconds and that was enough for something like this to happen.  It was a nightmare, but thankfully it turned out just fine. 

My husband is coming around, and I'll continue to give him time.  I understand.  If something like that happed on his watch I would have ripped him a new a-hole. 

I just never thought I would ever be so dumb and flat out neglectful.   

*My Loves, My Life, My Littles*

02/18/11, 05/24/12 and 12/03/13

Re: And the award goes to ...

• Don't beat yourself up! Kids fall down and you at least feel bad. I have a "friend" whose kid fell down the stairs all the time and she just didn't care. She never even put up a gate. Baby is okay and you will be okay, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Well in my case the gate didn't do too much good after I left the door open ... Embarrassed

• Loading the player...
  • I am so, so sorry that your DS had such a bad accident. But that's what it was. An accident. Please try not to be so hard on yourself. I have a very fast and dangerous climber, and I know how quickly these things can happen. I think the only reason we haven't ended up in the ER yet is pure luck. I also know how traumatizing it is as a mom to watch your LO in pain and to feel so helpless. I hope everyone's feeling a little better this morning hon. (((((hugehugs)))))
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Don't be so hard on yourself.  Accidents happen.

The other day I was moving Maren from holding her in the crook of my arm to trying to hold her between her legs and I almost dropped her flat on her face.  I was so shook up I just had to stand there for a few minutes.  Then I was beating myself up for not having just put her in the swing instead of trying to hold her while making dinner for the other kids but you know, as a mom, you are trying to get everything done and you're doing the best you can.

I'm glad your baby is okay.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imageDragonfly1226:
    I am so, so sorry that your DS had such a bad accident. But that's what it was. An accident. Please try not to be so hard on yourself. I have a very fast and dangerous climber, and I know how quickly these things can happen. I think the only reason we haven't ended up in the ER yet is pure luck. I also know how traumatizing it is as a mom to watch your LO in pain and to feel so helpless. I hope everyone's feeling a little better this morning hon. (((((hugehugs)))))

This!  Its a miracle that I don't end up in the ER on a daily basis.  I know how awful it is but like pp's said it happens the best of us.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am sorry.  Don't beat yourself up too much.  Accidents do happen and unluckily we've all got many years of things like this ahead of us.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• I know I know.  People have been trying to 'console' me for the last 24 hours telling me horror story after horror story and how it is amazing that their children are alive today after X Y and Z happened (and I totally appreciate it!!!) but it doesn't make me feel any better :(  I didn't sleep at all last night and probably got up to check on him 100 times. 

He is soooooo different from my daughter - been crawling since 6 months (she was 9 mo), started pulling himself up to stand at 7.5 mo (she was 11), he climbs on ev-er-y-thing, shoves ev-er-ything in his mouth and has absolutely NO fear.  I swear he's like a hamster and would crawl right off of our bed (or down the stairs) without even batting an eyelash.  My daughter is a total chicken.  She would never even go near the top of the stairs without one of us let alone try to go down them herself and she will be 2 in 2 weeks! But I KNOW THIS, which is why I can't believe I left the gate open.  

I was totally guilty of trying to do too many things at one time.  I was making an afternoon bath for them because I knew my husband was going to be gone last night and wanted one less thing to have to do at bedtime by myself, got distracted b/c my daughter was flinging water everywhere while I was running the faucet and bam ... next thing I knew I was watching my 8 month old pencil roll down the stairs.  I am by no means trying to make excuses. I dropped the ball and it was 110% preventable and totally my fault.

If the gate at the bottom of the stairs hadn't been there (yes we have one at the top AND bottom of our staircase) I actually think he would have escaped the roll without a scratch, but he crashed into it bowling ball style and that's how he got the gash on his head.

Of course I called my husband in hysterics and told him to get home immediately so we could take him to the hospital as blood was gushing all over the floor and I thought for sure the kid had broken at least one bone. The thing that was so crazy was after he got over the inital shock of the fall he stopped screaming, he rolled out of my arms and started crawling away into our playroom as if NOTHING had happened.  So the kid who just rolled down at least 15 stairs (we live in a colonial - worst kind of house to own with kids!) is sitting and playing with toys while blood is running down his face smiling and babbling away. 

When we got to the ER at Childrens I was afraid to tell anyone what actually happend because I thought for sure they were going to call CPS on my ass, but the docs and nurses were ridiuculously nice to me and reassured me that this kind of stuff happens all of the time and that I wasn't a bad mom. 

Ugh.  Anyway.  It was just a bad afternoon that thankfully ended up being just fine.  After the fall that little boy took I am one lucky momma that all he has is a stitch on the top of his head to show for it! 

• Accidents happen even to the most diligent, conscientious parent!  I'm glad your DS was fine.  To make you feel better, DH tumbled down the stairs when he was a baby.  My MIL brings this up all the time; she still feels guilty after all these years.  DH turns out okay!
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I'm so glad he is okay. Don't beat yourself up. I pushed my brother down the stairs when he was 6mo (I was 23mo). He was okay. 

Stairs are so scary, I'm glad we don't have them.  

TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Picturing your child as a hamster made me giggle. Just don't beat yourself up. Things happen. As much as we would like to, we can't prevent everything. He's fine, you will probably be more diligent in the future, and crisis averted!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I'm glad your LO is ok. Please try not to be too hard on yourself. I know I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes, but accidents happen. It doesn't mean that you're not a wonderful parent.

DX: DOR and MFI 

IVF w/ICSI brought us our 1st precious miracle

V born via induction 4.29.11

TTC #2: IVF (MDLF) August/September 2012

ER 9/7: 6R, 5M, 4F ET 9/12: 5dt of 2 blasts 

+HPT 9/17! Beta #1 (9/25) = 1,000 Beta #2 (9/27) = 1,860 U/S #1 (10/11)...TWINS!

1/8/13 - It's a..boy and a girl!!   

S&B born via induction 5.8.13

imageimage

• That is so scary! I'm so sorry that happened. ((Hugs))

I'm so glad your LO is ok!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry that happened but am super glad he turned out just fine! You are going to beat yourself up about this way more than anyone else ever could, I'm sure your husband was more scared than angry.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That must have been so scary. Glad everything worked out. Expect many more falls to come.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry this happened! That must have been so scary. I'm glad he's okay. Go easy on yourself. Hugs!!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • That must have been so scary for you (and him.) But I think most all of us have been there at some point or another, and it always happens when we're trying to do to much.

DS1 fell down our front concrete steps and had to have several stitches. (It was his 3rd set of them, but the first time it happened on my watch.) I was watching him walk down the steps, which he was very good at, and my arms were totally full because I was carrying a ton of stuff out to the car. But it had rained and he was wearing galoshes and I should have been holding his hand. It was awful.

Big hugs, we all live and learn.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"