July 2013 Moms

Subchorionic Bleed

I'm 14 weeks and have been in the ER three times now due to excessive bleeding and cramping with no miscarriage (thank God). I was told I have a subchorionic hemorrhage and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or if any non FTM's had this complication with their first pregnancy. My dr has comforted me by saying I should be able to carry to term but I may become best friends with the ER drs. Hopefully this last ER visit will be one of my last! The only plus is I'm now seen once every two weeks with an ultrasound everytime so I get to see my little one a lot! Thank you for any advice possible! 

Re: Subchorionic Bleed

• I had one at 6 weeks that kept acting up... it thankfully cleared up and I haven't had any problems since.  They're totally scary, but I agree with you, it is nice to be able to see your little on the ultrasounds!

Has your doctor put you on pelvic rest to try to prevent more?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had one that started out as a big gush of light red blood that was very scary but later tapered off, turned brown and stopped after a few weeks. I am 14 weeks now and so far so good. I am sure your doctor had told you this but the best thing for it is pelvic rest and to take it easy. Don't lift anything over 5 pounds, don't be on you feet for over 30 mins and no heavy house works. I hope this helps and everything turns out good for you. I know it's scary.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had two SCH with my son and I have one with this pregnancy. They were eventually reabsorbed back into my body and I am assuming the same for this pregnancy. I never did have any bleeding but was put on pelvic rest wth my son.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've actually been on pelvic rest since week 8. It didn't bother me too much since my sex drive was non-existant in the first trimester, but I was hoping to be cleared for any 'pelvic' activity I'd like at my scheduled apt yesterday. However, I ended up in hospital again last week and the pelvic rest has been extended. 
  • I've had 3 major bleeds so far (starting around week 8) with spotting in between episodes.  I'm on weekly MW visits with u/s to check the progress and it seems to be moving towards my cervix and getting a bit smaller in size.  My MW has had me on pelvic rest since the first episode and modified bedrest since the second episode.  My MW is pretty optimistic that I can carry to term.  It has definitely been a scary and unnerving experience.  It seems I can't get comfortable in this pregnancy because the bleeds can come at any time.  It has gotten to the point where we just call the oncall MW if a bleed happens during off hours instead of going to the ER because they never really do anything besides put me on the same restrictions that I'm already on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a fairly sizable SCH that was noted on u/s that hasn't caused any bleeding thus far.  The drs have been very casual about it and basically told me that I shouldn't be terrified if I were to experience spotting.  There are some increased possibilities with complications with persistent SCH, but I hear that they resolve in many people.  I'm hoping to see some improvements at the a/s in a month.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi there, 

I had this problem very early on in my pregnancy. It motivated me to see my doctor a lot earlier than I otherwise would have (about 5w). It took the second ultrasound at 7 weeks for them to find a large SCH. This was the cause of my spotting and bleeds. There was one time when it almost filled a pad and that scared me. It didn't look like normal period blood as it was mostly very brown, but there was a lot of red and pink in there, too. I did not go to the ER as I believed there was nothing they could do about it anyways if something bad were to happen. The spotting and bleeds stopped at around the 8th week and hasn't re-appeared since. I'm 16 weeks, btw.

I was assured that SCH's usually resolve themselves before the 20 week scan. When I had my 12 week scan, it was gone completely - or at least not visible. I asked the tech to look for it, and she thought maybe a tiny speck could have been the remains, but pretty much, nah, it was gone. Apparently, my body absorbed most of it. Your body will likely do the same, although obviously a bit later than with me. 

I know a lot of doctors are cautious about these sorts of things, and yes, a miscarriage event is a little more likely in these situations than otherwise, but my doctor and the u/s tech pretty much brushed it off saying that they mostly turn out fine. When the heartbeat was found at 7 weeks, she had me started on proper prenatal care with no hesitation. There wsa no genuine expression of concern about it from anyone. I was not given referrals for extra ultrasounds and was not even counselled to rest.

I *did* take it easy for a few days only to find that I seemed to bleed more when I spent more time in bed, so I just went about doing what I usually do. I was very fatigued throughout the entire first trimester (almost from the time I got my BFP), so "what I usually do" was actually significantly less anyways.

My advice - don't worry. You'd be surprised how quickly these things just go away. Do what your doctors say, but if your doctor doesn't seem worried, I would try very hard not to stress yourself out either. Very likely, this'll be over soon - maybe sooner than you think - and you won't even remember that this was a problem. :)

Take care of yourself!   

• Yes I have two subchorionic hemorrhages. One that is 4.5 cm and another at 1.5. I have had a few ultrasounds now. Dr recommended bedrest and it should regress on its own. But it was terrifying!
    image image Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • imagealexandra1818:

I had one at 6 weeks that kept acting up... it thankfully cleared up and I haven't had any problems since.  They're totally scary, but I agree with you, it is nice to be able to see your little on the ultrasounds!

Has your doctor put you on pelvic rest to try to prevent more?

i too had one at 6 weeks that seems to have cleared up. Good luck! I'm still on pelvic rest because it makes me nervous. 

Son born 7.3.12 SHOCKING BFP 11/24/12 - EDD 7/31/12 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one during my last pregnancy and bled on and off from about week 5 to week 12.  I was put on pelvic rest during that time and cleared at my 20 week anatomy scan if I'm remembering correctly.  Anyways, yes it was scary but my doc reassured me that they commony will bleed out or reabsorb.  After those first weeks, I had no other issues and delivered a healthy baby girl.  Hoping for a similar experience for you.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Thank you all for the support and previous experiences! I'm a server and although I don't carry any of my own trays I am on my feel for 5-7 hours at a time. I'm cleared to go back to work so I'm trying one day on one day off to see if that helps or provides any change. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"