July 2013 Moms

Weird oblique ab sensation?

So I have twice had this weird tearing (not painful, but strange) sensation in my oblique ab area.  It has happened once on both sides, once when i was reaching to pick something up and once when taking a huge breath.  I know your abs can split in pregnancy, but it seems like they tend to split in the center of your abdomen, not on the sides.  Has anyone experienced something like this or heard of it before.  I'm not really worried about it, but it feels really weird. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Weird oblique ab sensation?

• I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I get a really weird muscle spasm/popping sensation on the side of my mid/upper abdomen right under my rib.  It was almost like an electric shock one time and I literally jumped up thinking I got shocked.  It's only happened to me when I had DS leaning against me while reading him a book or rocking him (which I stopped recently).  The area is always a little sore after it happens which i thought was weird.  I think it's a stretching thing so I never brought it up with my doctor.  It hasn't happened in a week or so but I'll have to remember to ask my OB at my next appointment.  
  • Yes! That is exactly how I described it, like a sudden pull in my obliques. My dr said its round ligament pain, and it may be some pulling in your obliques too. If they are tight, or as is the case with me being so short waisted, if they are situated such that they go over your uterus, they have to stretch with everything else as it grows. Sudden movements make it worse. And, it'll only get worse as we get big. Unfortunate answer, I know
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had the same thing in my right obliques only but I know I have a lot of scar tissue in my right abs from old back injuries and years of long endurance training ironman triathlon. It's fine. Your abs can't split there. Only in the very middle of your rectus abdominis called diastisis recti google it. I'm a sports PT too it's definitely not a bad thing :
  • My abs separated on the sides with DD.  I was about 22 weeks when I noticed it.  If I went to use my abs (like get up from a chair) they would peak out like a mountain.   Unfortunately they never healed so they still do it.  I notice it most when doing a plank or push up. I haven't met anyone who's abs did the same thing.  

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks ladies!  I'm glad I'm not the only one with these strange sensations.  I don't remember having anything like it in my last pregnancy, but it would make sense if it was pulling of the muscles since I seem to be stretching them when it happens.  Oh the strange things we experience during pregnancy...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"