1st Trimester
Options

Just had my first freak out

I was going over some finances this evening while working on DH and I's 2012 tax return.  In doing so, I realized that the bulk of DH's student loans go back into repayment next month.  This is a huge chunk of change that I honestly do not know if we can afford.  Of course, DH wasn't really "up" on keeping track of all of this, so it just hit me like a ton of bricks.  To top it off, DH hasn't really been able to find a job in his degree area (Economics), so he's not really getting the benefit of his $40,000+/year education.  We may be able to put these loans into deferement, but I'm not completely sure on that.  We may consolidate them, but that's still an added expense that I wasn't expecting to happen right at this moment.

I did some figuring with our bills/salaries and we will be able to afford to live, but there's not a TON left over - enough of a cushion each month, but not what I would like to have.

So, needless to say, I was just overwhelmed and started bawling.  I'm sure it was also a combination of my pregnancy hormones.  DH got all mad saying that crying doesn't make anything better (ha, you think this one instance is all you're in for in the next 9 months?) and that it's always his fault.  His big concern with TTC was finances, but we never really TRULY talked about it.

Ugh...anyone else have financial stresses?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Just had my first freak out

• Options
    Some advise that I was recently given "If God cared about your finances NO ONE would have kids"... and it is very true. When I first found out I was pregnant we were struggling to simply pay our bills with out ANY cushion. So he was working and after moving across state when we got married I hadn't been able to find a job yet when surprise it's twins! and then oh because of blah baddy blah you have to be on FULL bed rest... so no job for me and TWO babies on the way; when one thing lead to another and everything always seemed to work out and we never NEEDed anything sure we went without some luxuries but me and my DH have grown a lot closer, also our kids have yet to want for anything. 
  • Options
    You'll realize quickly how much you really have... :) plus, isn't econ money stuff? he'll be good at budgeting :)
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If we all waited for the "right time" to have kids ... we would all be in our 40s. haha.

I would see if you can defer them longer. There are several plan options for student loans in which you can hold off paying them. My husband and I did that while we were both laid off, we then consolidated to a personal loan with the remainder of his student loans and my car loan. Without the consolidation we would have been paying over 550/mo but now we only pay 225. Yes we are paying an extra year but its worth it. We would have been in the red otherwise.

Check all your options before giving up. There might be a solution!!

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    Somehow, it works out. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options

I know this sounds cliche, but it will work out. I know it seems overwhelming right now but there is no turning back and the student loans won't go way.

Your first step should be contacting the company that is holding DH's student loans to see what kind of payment plan you can get on. Chances are if you and DH are making a lower-middleclass wage, they will not let you defer them right now. They only do that for poverty level.

Anyway, it is better to pay on them as much as you can because depending on the type of loan he has, even if they are sitting in deferment, he is still accumulating interest.

Just take a deep breath and do what you have to do.

Anniversary
  • Options

Thank you so much for all the words of wisdom ladies.  You can't believe how much better this made me feel, and frankly, I'm crying again - OH pregnancy hormones!

Haha, you would think that my husband would be good at budgeting.  He's not really.  That's really my neck of the woods - and I work in healthcare!  He is good in the spending element (keeps trying to talk me into a new TV when we have multiple Tvs that work just fine!), but budgeting...ehhh.....  He gets to spend money all day at work, so I think he thinks he can just bring that home.  Yeah right!

I'm sure we will be fine.  I just had a little freak-out last night.  We talked a little bit about how in 4-5 years, everything will be better.  Cars will be paid off, 2 small personal loans will be paid off, 2 credit cards will be paid off.  This will free up about $1000/month.  Although, we can't guarantee that something else won't come down the line at that time.  However, for me at least, putting off having children until I'm 31 or 32 wasn't an option. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It will work out. If it makes you feel better, I found out I was pregnant the same day my husband got a pink slip he's being laid off (he's a firefighter). We just had to laugh, what else can we do? Get through it together, be thrifty and creative, and plan for things as best you can!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"