Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Disney Trip

My LO isn't here yet, but I figured this group would know how to best answer me about this stage for future planning.
My family has a trip to Disney World this September for a week. My LO will be about 6 months then. I still want to go, but my family is concerned about me taking a LO that young. I plan to BF and baby wear. The plane trip will have one stop and total travel time about 6 hours. From your experience so far do you think I'm crazy for this? Will it be too much for her? Any tips for that age and a trip like that? Thanks ladies!
Pregnancy Ticker
BabyName Ticker

Re: Disney Trip

• We took our 6.5 month old to Disneyland in December, and had one stop on our flight there.  Our daughter did great with both!  The flight works well if breast feeding or having baby suck on a pacifier for take off and landing. At Disney, the baby can ride the fantasyland type rides (peterpan, dumbo, haunted mansion,etc.), and the roller coaster style rides all have the parent switch thing, so you can ride it without waiting in line, after whoever you are with gets off the ride.  Disney has these really nice baby stations where you can breastfeed inside in a somewhat private area, change diapers, and basically anything you would need to do involving your baby's care.  Our baby loved the characters, especially their noses.  I suggest you let your baby interact with them, it is totally worth it.  It was a little hard going to Disney with people who just wanted to go non-stop on as many rides as possible though.  It is much nicer if you break away from that and enjoy the park in a more layed back approach.
  • I forgot to mention that we used our baby carrier the whole time too, and she could just fell asleep against us when she needed a nap.  A stroller would have just been a pain even if we didn't want to hold her the whole time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Go for it! You will still have fun and you have family all around to help you. I think it will be fine!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I guess I would be a little worried about the heat. September can still be very hot, especially in south Florida. (Or am I getting my Disney's confused?)

• imageunaveragejane:
    I guess I would be a little worried about the heat. September can still be very hot, especially in south Florida. (Or am I getting my Disney's confused?)

Sure, it will be hot, but what do you think all of us who LIVE here do? Stay inside all the time? Of course not.  I say go for it!  You will have lots of family to help you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• imagemyluckypig:

imageunaveragejane:
    I guess I would be a little worried about the heat. September can still be very hot, especially in south Florida. (Or am I getting my Disney's confused?)

Sure, it will be hot, but what do you think all of us who LIVE here do? Stay inside all the time? Of course not.  I say go for it!  You will have lots of family to help you. 

Not to be rude but since you asked, no I wouldn't expect anyone to stay inside ALL of the time. I would hope that people would exercise a degree of responsibility by staying out of the heat during the hottest parts of the day. I have lived in FL, too, and I have heard multiple cautions about the dangers of infant heat exhaustion and heat stroke. It's avoidable, but she might need to take extra precautions. That is why I mentioned it.

• imageLalaMama81:

I would have a great stroller w/ a full shade and full recline and at least one babywearing device. DD was 4 months old when we went and we used the stroller (it was a double b/c of DD1), a sling, a moby and an ergo.

This.  We took DS (3rd child) when he was 3months and had a great trip but he pretty much slept all day in my Beco carrier.  He took a 3 hour morning nap in the carrier every day.  I didn't find nursing on the go a problem but they are definitely more distracted at 6 months but personally I think 6 months is much easier to travel with then the 12-18mo age... 

DD(7), DS(4.5), DS(2.5), DS(baby)
  • imagealizabethanne:
    Go for it! You will still have fun and you have family all around to help you. I think it will be fine!

This! If your up to it with the baby then go for it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We took our 7 month old to Chicago for a long weekend, and between feedings and naps and pumping we ended up spending 90% of our time in the hotel room.

Is there any way you could postpone making this decision until baby is here? There's so much you won't know until you've met your LO.  This trip would work with some babies, but it wouldn't work with mine.  Not to freak you out, but I also planned on babywearing and breastfeeding, and due to my delivery I was not able to do either (milk didn't come in for a week, baby refused the breast, so now I pump exclusively, and I ended up with muscle damage, still in PT.)

• I think it honestly depends on the LO! My son had pretty severe acid reflux and although he's much better with screaming and fussiness at 7 months, he's by no means a laid back baby. I'd be really worried that he would scream the whole time in the air, but again it depends on the LO.

A few things to factor in: They can be incredibly wiggly at that age (my son is not still at all when you're holding him now-he's constantly turning and wiggling out of your arms). Before I had him I probably wouldn't assume he'd already be so active at 6 months. 

Baby wearing is awesome and I'm not sure what kind of carrier you're trying, but I know when I'm using the Moby it gets so hot really quickly. I can't really imagine tackling Disney while baby wearing the entire time. 

Good luck! I'd probably go since you have the support network of the family. 
  • Thank you all! I really appreciate all the input. My sister and SO will be there with their 3 and 6 year old as well, my two sisters who have no children, and of course nana and papa. Because of the 3 year old we will have a stroller and I have a variety of carriers/wraps. I plan to either take them all or try a few out in advance on a lengthy shopping trip to get a feel. I didn't know that she would be able to ride anything at all so that's exciting! I also think I will stay in the day everyone goes to Epcot to give both of us a break. My parents can't move the date because of my dads job so I either go and figure it out or stay. Fortunately, after sharing some of this info with them they are letting me create the itinerary for the week so I can be cautious of the hottest times, etc. I think I'm gonna give it a shot! Thanks ladies!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • Usually a lurker, but we did it with a 3 year old and 6 month old and it was horrible. Granted I had the stomach flu the ENTIRE time. It was super hot wearing the baby. Also you can't bring your stroller in line so you have to carry them the whole time. We also were there with friends who thought we had to be on the go every single minute. Being so drained from the flu I had a hard time keeping up. I honestly wish I could have the money spent on that trip back to use on one for just DH and I.

Maybe I would feel differently if I hadn't been sick and we could have operated on our own schedule.

ETA: I did live in SoFL for 3 years.
  • My opinion  is that your just going to have to see how your baby is once he/she comes. I have not taken LO (6 months) to places like Disney Land, though the in laws talked about a big family trip- but if that happened I would leave LO with my parents so I could enjoy myself.  But as the PP said she took her LO and did great.  My LO loves people, but fights naps.  I took him shopping a few times around xmas and he loved seeing everything- but wanted to stay awake so he wouldn't miss anything.  I actually spent an hr one time just trying to get him to nap at the mall!  so imagine if that were in the mist of the FL summer and at Disney land.  But then again if you stayed on the grounds you could just go back to the hotel for naps.  (but then might be spending more time going to the hotel then the park) again Id say your just going to have to feel your own baby out. If you do go and take LO hopefully youll have enough help that you could leave LO with someone for a bit and enjoy the trip. 

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"