August 2011 Moms

Ljsmom carseat Q?

Lol l don't know if me or my iPad tried to put cars eat in the title, checked it was the ipad. 

Wondering if you could tell me more about the buckle position. If you know anymore.  I know it is suppose to be armpit level but admit I don't always watch that especially with heavy winter coats.  He is still rr but I think I will turn him when roads get better in the sping--our roads are often icy

Sorry I know your said you were over it but I keep thinking how much easier our frequent 4 hours trips would be. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Ljsmom carseat Q?

• I can help with that too. 

First you souldn't have you LO in a big bulky coat in a carseat.  The coat makes the straps not fit snug enough. Here is a pic of what I mean. A sweater and a good fleece coat work great.  IF you think that it is still too cold wrap LO in a blanket and heat up the car first.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486297_4777949442365_2069752418_n.jpg

Second the buckle that is at the chest should be right inline with LO's armpits. Not higer not lower.

Third the straps should be no higher than shoulder level.  Slightly below is best.

Hope this helps.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What they said!

And be sure you keep check on the crotch buckle, most children should be at the second point now, and the height on the back straps, they should be right at or barely above the shoulders.

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• Loading the player...
  • Remember that it is your choice what you do. Just like co-sleeping, there are dangers but people make the choice as to what is best for them. I am very much into carseat safety. I did not turn Lj because of a long trip, or any other convenience. We did it because we felt like it was the right time. 

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• imageLalaMama81:

And I really hope you will reconsider the FF and wait until he is at minimum, 2. Preferably older, when he outgrow the carseat RF.

Also remember that turning 2 isn't magical. It is based on weight/height. I've heard of decaps on 4-5 yos. This happens. Some cases are completely preventable and some are freak accidents.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• He has already ridden FF. He only wears a big coat on 10 or less min drives but when weather is -20F with -40 windchill like today a blanket isn't enough warmth when getting out, IMO. Just wanted to hear thoughts on if buckle placement ment anything other than the one armpit level that I knew. Thanks ljsmom I did forget about the lower one but i don't think that is adjustable on my seat :( 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In regards to the coat business.  We live in COLD temps and have long winters and as much as I know you're not supposed to wear bulky coats it's tough when you're in and out of the vehicle.  So, here's what we do.  DD has one coat that she wears for playing in the snow, etc.  This coat is way too bulky and doesn't get used in the car.  I really don't think a fleece and sweater is good enough in most cases.  I know she goes from warm house, to warm car, and those trips are fine, but when we're talking running errands and spending more time outside it just doesn't suit and dressing and undressing is a major PITA.

We have a synthetic down coat that we use in the car.  Because of the fill the straps stay snug because they separate the down.  If anything I find a sweater and fleece bulkier in the seat than this coat is.  I don't have to tighten/loosen the straps so I think this is pretty good.  I don't put snowpants on her in the car, because I find they do still add chest bulk. 

• imagecountrywed:

He has already ridden FF. He only wears a big coat on 10 or less min drives but when weather is -20F with -40 windchill like today a blanket isn't enough warmth when getting out, IMO. Just wanted to hear thoughts on if buckle placement ment anything other than the one armpit level that I knew. Thanks ljsmom I did forget about the lower one but i don't think that is adjustable on my seat :( 

as Kimbus said, most accidents do occur closest to home. Although it doesn't stay cold here very long, we strip coats and Lj and NB ride in their regular clothes. When we arrive to our destination I hop in the backseat and unbuckle both, put their jackets on then get out. 

Keep in mind, this is your decision. Educate and inform yourself on the safety and what you feel comfortable with.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:

imageLalaMama81:

And I really hope you will reconsider the FF and wait until he is at minimum, 2. Preferably older, when he outgrow the carseat RF.

Also remember that turning 2 isn't magical. It is based on weight/height. I've heard of decaps on 4-5 yos. This happens. Some cases are completely preventable and some are freak accidents.  

Well, sure. But no age is magical and I also mentioned waiting until he outgrows the carseat RF which is based on height & weight. I've found most people are not going to wait until they outgrow the the seat RF so using 2 as a minimum as guideline is better than following the law of 1 & 20lbs. 

I'm well aware of the laws, requirements and the recommendations of children in carseats. I feel like you are trying to belittle me and every other mom who makes e decision to turn their child ff. I'm certainly not a 1 & 20 person either.

Pps last sentence was referring to me saying I was over the carseat debate. Certain people like to shove their opinions down others throats and belittle them when they do differently. As I said, educate and inform. That's the most important thing to do when making a decision.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagekjgilhoo:

We have a synthetic down coat that we use in the car.  Because of the fill the straps stay snug because they separate the down.  If anything I find a sweater and fleece bulkier in the seat than this coat is.  I don't have to tighten/loosen the straps so I think this is pretty good.

Thank you for this - I've been struggling trying to find the "perfect car coat" and nothing has worked out for us yet. I will have to give the synthetic down a try. 

Question: where did you get yours? What brand is it? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    imagekjgilhoo:

We have a synthetic down coat that we use in the car.  Because of the fill the straps stay snug because they separate the down.  If anything I find a sweater and fleece bulkier in the seat than this coat is.  I don't have to tighten/loosen the straps so I think this is pretty good.

Thank you for this - I've been struggling trying to find the "perfect car coat" and nothing has worked out for us yet. I will have to give the synthetic down a try. 

Actually it's a hand me down that came from Quebec.  I'm not sure where my friends MIL got it, but the tag says Orchestra France and the stitching on the coat says Mon Papillon Leger (sorry not sure how to accent the e).  If that doesn't provide enough hints, I can try and find out.

It says the padding inside is 100% polyester.  Real down would be too pricey for a second coat I think.  Last winter I used a down suit similar to what you'd find at Mountain Equipment Co-op in the car and same deal, didn't need to loosen straps because the down wasn't bulky. 

• imagekjgilhoo:

Actually it's a hand me down that came from Quebec.  I'm not sure where my friends MIL got it, but the tag says Orchestra France and the stitching on the coat says Mon Papillon Leger (sorry not sure how to accent the e).  If that doesn't provide enough hints, I can try and find out.

It says the padding inside is 100% polyester.  Real down would be too pricey for a second coat I think.  Last winter I used a down suit similar to what you'd find at Mountain Equipment Co-op in the car and same deal, didn't need to loosen straps because the down wasn't bulky. 

That sounds very fancy :) I think I've heard of the name "Orchestra" before. Not sure if where I can find it, but I'm sure Dr Google will help me with that. Thanks for the info! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagekjgilhoo:
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:
    imagekjgilhoo:

We need to keep our Canadian babies warm! Yes a little fleece wont do and to take on and off a coat a zillion times while running errands isnt ideal either, especially when its minus effin cold out with the wind chill.  

• imageGilliebear:
    imagekjgilhoo:
    imagekjgilhoo:

We need to keep our Canadian babies warm! Yes a little fleece wont do and to take on and off a coat a zillion times while running errands isnt ideal either, especially when its minus effin cold out with the wind chill.  

I forgot to say-north face jackets are pretty warm and dont necessarily have the bulk.  

• imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:

imageLalaMama81:

Well, sure. But no age is magical and I also mentioned waiting until he outgrows the carseat RF which is based on height & weight. I've found most people are not going to wait until they outgrow the the seat RF so using 2 as a minimum as guideline is better than following the law of 1 & 20lbs. 

I'm well aware of the laws, requirements and the recommendations of children in carseats. I feel like you are trying to belittle me and every other mom who makes e decision to turn their child ff. I'm certainly not a 1 & 20 person either.

Pps last sentence was referring to me saying I was over the carseat debate. Certain people like to shove their opinions down others throats and belittle them when they do differently. As I said, educate and inform. That's the most important thing to do when making a decision.

Well, I'm not. I am doing the same think you are - educate and inform. It didn't sound like you don't know the laws and I believe that you do. IMO, you are bending over backwards to say it's okay to do what you want. And I disagree.

I think for someone who is secure in their decision to FF, you are very defensive, and I promise I don't intend to sound mean or rude.

If I ever discussed this issue with you I don't remember. Maybe I didn't see or don't remember some big thread about it, I honestly don't know.

It is okay to do what you want as a parent...I don't understand what you are implying.

Im defensive because of the way you are trying to tell me I'm wrong for doing what I do. 

We haven't discussed this before. I stated in the UO thread that I was over the ff/rf debate. Let people make their own decision and don't bash them for it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageCrash Into Me:
    imageljsmom11:
    What they said! And be sure you keep check on the crotch buckle, most children should be at the second point now, and the height on the back straps, they should be right at or barely above the shoulders.
    straps should be at or just below the shoulders, never above.

When rear facing straps are at or below. Forward facing it is at or above. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageGilliebear:
    imageGilliebear:
    imagekjgilhoo:
    imagekjgilhoo:

I forgot to say-north face jackets are pretty warm and dont necessarily have the bulk.  

I have to admit that I'm so glad that we don't have very cold weather here. I don't think I could handle it! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageljsmom11:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:

imageLalaMama81:

Well, I'm not. I am doing the same think you are - educate and inform. It didn't sound like you don't know the laws and I believe that you do. IMO, you are bending over backwards to say it's okay to do what you want. And I disagree.

I think for someone who is secure in their decision to FF, you are very defensive, and I promise I don't intend to sound mean or rude.

If I ever discussed this issue with you I don't remember. Maybe I didn't see or don't remember some big thread about it, I honestly don't know.

It is okay to do what you want as a parent...I don't understand what you are implying.

Im defensive because of the way you are trying to tell me I'm wrong for doing what I do. 

We haven't discussed this before. I stated in the UO thread that I was over the ff/rf debate. Let people make their own decision and don't bash them for it.

It's not a debate in this thread.  The bottom line is that RF is safer.  Period.  It's simple Physics.  I agree with Lala that it does seem like you're going out of your way to tell people it's OK to FF because you have medical professionals in your family who endorse your decision to do so.  

When you give anecdotal accounts like these, you have to expect some backlash.  There's no magic age; the force in a crash can internally decapitate children.  BUT, the bottom line is that Physics will defend ERF every.single.time.  

I don't care what you do re: RF or FF, but at the same time, leave your family's endorsement out of the conversation.  That's great that you have medical professionals in your family that validate YOUR decision.  However, do not spread that information around TB like switching to FF before the WHO recommends is OK because your family tells you it is.  It's not.

I don't have a problem with educating and making decisions, but I do have a problem with what you say on our forum about it being OK because so-and-so says so and he or she is an (insert whatever profession).  That's how YOU came to the decision.  It's means snot to me and how I make my decisions just as it should to the rest of us.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageJaysonandKristin:
    imageljsmom11:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:
    imageLalaMama81:
    imageljsmom11:

imageLalaMama81:

It's not a debate in this thread.  The bottom line is that RF is safer.  Period.  It's simple Physics.  I agree with Lala that it does seem like you're going out of your way to tell people it's OK to FF because you have medical professionals in your family who endorse your decision to do so.  

When you give anecdotal accounts like these, you have to expect some backlash.  There's no magic age; the force in a crash can internally decapitate children.  BUT, the bottom line is that Physics will defend ERF every.single.time.  

I don't care what you do re: RF or FF, but at the same time, leave your family's endorsement out of the conversation.  That's great that you have medical professionals in your family that validate YOUR decision.  However, do not spread that information around TB like switching to FF before the WHO recommends is OK because your family tells you it is.  It's not.

I don't have a problem with educating and making decisions, but I do have a problem with what you say on our forum about it being OK because so-and-so says so and he or she is an (insert whatever profession).  That's how YOU came to the decision.  It's means snot to me and how I make my decisions just as it should to the rest of us.   

You have me completely wrong. My family did not tell me this was okay. My point in adding them in was to say that I know what can happen. I've heard about it from people who have seen this first hand. They NEVER said that it was okay to ff and I never said that they did.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm done with this conversation. Words are being put in my mouth that were never mentioned. One simple question directed towards me turned into a debate that the thread was not intended for. I never disagreed that rf was safest, either. 

I believe 100% that it is okay for a parent to make a decision for their child. I'm not pushing people to ff, I'm just telling you that people will give you an unwarranted opinion because that's theirs' and they think its important. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageljsmom11:

You have me completely wrong. My family did not tell me this was okay. My point in adding them in was to say that I know what can happen. I've heard about it from people who have seen this first hand. They NEVER said that it was okay to ff and I never said that they did.

You're right.  You didn't say that they endorsed your decision.  This was just my reaction to your post.  Gut reaction.  There wasn't much information in your original post, but it conveys the wrong message, IMO.  You didn't SAY in your original post that they disagree with your decision.  It looks like you're using them to prove your point.  In this thread it all looks a lot different.  Thank you for clearing that up.

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

• imageljsmom11:

I'm done with this conversation. Words are being put in my mouth that were never mentioned. One simple question directed towards me turned into a debate that the thread was not intended for. I never disagreed that rf was safest, either. 

I believe 100% that it is okay for a parent to make a decision for their child. I'm not pushing people to ff, I'm just telling you that people will give you an unwarranted opinion because that's theirs' and they think its important. 

I wonder why you can't have this conversation without feeling attacked?  

You said that you did your research, and you made your decision.  When you make a decision based on information, feel confident in that.  There's nothing illegal about what you're doing.  Lala and I just happen to feel differently.

And, it's not what you said.  It's what you implied.  We're just trying to fill in some holes.  That's all.  I don't even understand WHERE you got to the point of fed up with the debate anyway?  We don't discuss anything even remotely controversial around this neck of the woods.  

Who cares what internet strangers think?  FWIW, we aren't attacking you or telling you that you're making a poor decision.  No names or insults were thrown.  This is purely about you making a statement about your choice and your family, and then being somehow called into the spotlight as being someone who has answers about car seats.  We all know that you never claimed to be, just like I never claimed to be an alternative food expert.  Yet, I get called out for information on food all the time.  It doesn't bother me, but I also don't report information on a controversial topic.  Everyone's got an opinion on the car seat matter.  We're just opening up a dialogue.  

Don't be pissy with us, please.  I do genuinely like what you bring to the board.   

Prudence
    Otis
    Hank 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"