May 2013 Moms

Rapid Weight Gain

I am currently 25 weeks and over the last two weeks I have put on 6 lbs for a total of 9 lbs this month?  Up until 21 weeks I had only put on 9 lbs and it makes me nervous to have doubled my weight gain so quickly.  I am still exercising (walking 5-6 days a week and 20 min of pilates 3-4 days a week).  I have noticed an increase in appetite however I have been making healthy decisions so I do not feel there has been a big increase in calories.  Has anyone experienced this?  Or do you have any recommendations on how to control this?  I am only 5'0" and am really trying to stay within the proper guidelines for weight gain (or at least as close as possible).

Re: Rapid Weight Gain

• With my last pregnancy I gained most of my weight in the 2nd tri, 20 lbs in 8 weeks. Only your dr can tell you if its healthy though for your history and body
  • Yes, I had an 8 lbs gain in one month. My doctor said it is likely that I've gained a large amount of fluid weight and that it is probably likely that i'll gain 40-50 lbs total, which he said is average.
    MMC 02/16/12
    DS1 05/03/13
    Natural MC 10/01/14
    DD1 01/08/16
  • Loading the player...
  • My philosophy is if your doctor isn't worried you shouldn't worry.
  • I just had my 24 week appt and had gained 9 pounds since my last (after having gained about 1-2 previously).  Based on that and the fact that my uterus is large for the week, she's concerned about the possibility of GD (so I'm going for my 1 hour glucose test on Saturday).  Yay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you're doctors not worried than you shouldn't worry too much. Your body knows what it needs to gain and at the end of the day your total isn't that high even if the recent jump seems it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like you are still in the "normal" range for what they say people gain.  Like other posters said if your doctor doesn't seem concerned you shouldn't be either.  I am plus sized and have already put on almost 20 pounds (I'll be 27 weeks Sunday), and while most books and things I've read say bigger women should only put on 15-20 the whole pregnancy, my doctor has told me that I am doing everything right and growing as I should be, so even though the numbers on the scale have been going up, I am concentrating on the fact that the doctor said I am on the right track.  Don't get too caught up in the numbers.
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • I am also 5 feet tall and I have put on 20 pounds already! They said I should only gain 25 which leaves me 5 pounds between now and May?! I am cutting out sugar and carbs. I dont want to have to lose so much after this is over. As long as youre eating right you should be fine.
  • I put on 7 pounds in between my last two visits but I also had a huge growth spurt and my belly is noticeably bigger.  I assume the two are related and my OB didn't mention anything about it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The same thing happened to me. My midwife said I basically had a growth spurt and that it was totally normal. I've kind of plateaued again for now, thank goodness. I'm also really short, so I feel like I'm gigantic already, because the baby weight has nowhere to go but straight out. Not looking forward to even more weight gain, eek!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"