September 2012 Moms
Options

Vitamin D for EBF babies?

Today at Marian's 4 mo appointment (FINALLY), her pedi prescribed her Vitamin D drops and fluoride drops, saying that breastmilk doesn't have those things and she needed them to stay healthy. I'm now a bit confused, as my lactation consultant never mentioned either of those things, and I have never heard of EBF babies who were in perfect health needing any sort of extra vitamins, etc.

Can you ladies weigh in? Am I just ignorant on this? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Marian Abigail :: born 9-16-2012 via emergency C/S
BFP on 11-14-2014, aiming for a VBAC

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Vitamin D for EBF babies?

• Options
    (Kate & Dave)) 4.26.08
    (N.J.O) 9.14.12

• Options
    We do the d drops. 1 drop a day. He gets it in his bottle, since we EP.

ETA
    We do Enfamil as well. My LC as well as the pedi recommended it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My pedi recommended vit d drops at his 1 mo appt. I use the enfamil d vi sol drops.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We give her trivisol everyday.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Options
    Our pedi prescribed DD the vitamin drops when she was ~a month old.  Apparently breast milk doesn't have a ton of vitamin D, and it is pretty much never sunny here from November-March, so he suggested we give them to her.  On the other hand, when she was having trouble keeping them down, he told me not to worry about giving them, because although they are now recommended, babies have obviously survived without them.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We give the D-Sol drops. 1 drop on my finger or his soother every morning (depending on if I remember or not!)

We were told my the pedi at the hospital to make sure we give them. My doctor also told me to give them at our first visit when DS was a week old.

• Options
    We do the d drops, they are super easy. One little drop on the nipple before one feeding and she's good to go.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My pedi has a six month old and said he isn't consistent in giving them to him because he isn't convinced they're crucial, but doesn't think they hurt either. I haven't given them.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We've been giving Vitaman D since 3 weeks. It's a new thing they say it helps with brain development.
    All formula is Vitamin D fortified, it is not naturally occurring in BM.

• Options
    We had the Enfamil ones but it's 1mL and lots of flavor and coloring. Now we use D drops because it is 1 drop straight up vitamin D.

Never heard about fluoride.

• Options
    It's very common. DS was on them to 6 months & DD is on them now till 6 months. Then she'll get on an Rx multivitamin that includes fluoride & iron till she's 3 yrs old, which is the same one DS is currently on.

• Options

It's common to recommend that EBF babies get VitD.  It seems to be just as common to skip it.  Our pedi recommended it and I, um, forget too often for it to really make a difference.  

When it's nice out I take her outside for natural VitD :) 

• Options
    Both our pedis gave us a bottle at our first appointment (maybe James was given his bottle while in the hospital). Anyway, I did one d drop a day when I was EBF and stopped once I started supplementing with formula. I have never given fluoride drops. We didn't start using fluoride toothpaste with James until he was well over a year and knew not to eat his toothpaste.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

imagecmumama:
    My pedi recommended vit d drops at his 1 mo appt. I use the enfamil d vi sol drops.

This 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were given a full size sample bottle at our first appointment. L has been taking Vit D since 3 days old.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    We were prescribed them as well and I object. We live in Southern California and lack of sun isn't usually and issue. Besides, it really bothers me that they spend so much time expounding on the virtues of breastmilk and then turn around and tell me I must supplement it. Our ped said they are now recommending it to all babies, bf and ff. Our LC said it came from a study of kids living in poverty in Chicago and was generalized for all kids to be safe. I'm not very good at giving it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"