January 2013 Moms

Tummy Time

How old is your LO and how long/often do you do tummy time?

DD HATES tummy time. She is 6 weeks old. We don't do it often (a couple minutes a day) because she just cries and cries. Instead of trying to lift her head she shoves her feet into the ground and lifts her tummy and butt off the ground. I usually pick her up if she starts to cry too hard, or if she has lifted her head just a couple times I call it a success.

I think her head size has a lot to do with it. At a month old her head was in the 75-90th percentile. Same with her length. But her weight is only 10-25th. So I have a long skinny baby with a big head. I kinda figure it makes it harder for her to lift her head. I know my nephew's head was like the 97th percentile and he struggled with lifting his head too.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

Re: Tummy Time

• My LO is 6 weeks old and we try to do at least 5-10 minutes a day but she tends to fall asleep.
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• We get about 10 minutes in most days. DD is only 3 weeks old. She has a pretty strong neck, at least compared to DS at this age. He was a lump.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• Loading the player...
  • My first hated TT, and he never learned to like it. Cole doesn't seem to be a big fan either. I would suggest a few minutes at a time, several times a day. Having them lie on their tummy on your chest is an alternative at this age, and they tend to tolerate that more.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It varies every day. She will lay on me on her tummy for an hour or more.

As for on the boppy or a flat surface we do it until she cries. Sometimes it is over 15 minutes of TT. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My ped recommended laying her on my lap and rubbing her back. We also do it on our chests, holding her upright or letting her be in the carrier. Occasionally we'll put her on the changing table and be eye level with her. She enjoys all of the above way better then being on the ground.

Kendall, 1/1/13
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagePrivacyWanted:
    DD hated tummy time on the floor so instead I would lay on the floor and put her tummy down on me, she loved it and our pedi said it was just as good

This is what we do...he usually falls asleep. 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Most babies initially protest about tummy time, so you're not alone. My baby hated it at first, so I did nothing but put her on her back. She ended up in PT cuz she was late meeting milestones. The trick is to start in short time spurts and work up to longer periods as she tolerates it and make sure to offer when she's most content. You can try singing to her since babies love voices!  For more tips, check out this website I found that is a resource on TT for parents! https://bit.ly/YDanN1

But keep trying, because it's so impo to baby's development and to avoid flat spots on her head. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"