May 2013 Moms

To paint or not to paint? Advice please

My current room used to be my little sisters room. And she was VERY big into drawing on the walls. The white walls that haven't been painted the 17 years we've been in this house. So where there isn't crayon/marker/pencil is just dirt. But it's just cosmetic.

My dad built on two additional room to the house, and took out a window from this one and put up a wall. Well he never did anything after he put the mud to seal the sheet rock.

So if I wanted to paint my room, it would include sanding and texturing the window portions of the wall, and the smaller wall he built around their bathroom.

This is just my temporary living situation. At least I hope. So do I bite the bullet and put in the work and money to fix up this room or not? Maybe just my "nursery corner" since that's one of the worst areas?

Re: To paint or not to paint? Advice please

• Well, I'm a cheapskate so I may not have the best advice. I'm pretty sure this is how our nursery is as well... (the whole house in fact, except for the kitchen) it looks like it was never finished after mudding the drywall. That, or they did a really crappy texture paint job. At any rate, we just painted over it rather than sanding it down to finish it. We will only be in the house for a year so it really didn't bother me that the walls had texture. So the cheapskate in me would say "just paint over it."
  • To me, that would bug me to no end.  I would do it right and finish it.  Not sure how long you are planning on being there, but if it's several months to a year, then I'd just do it.  Ultimately paint is cheap.  The texture stuff comes in a can to spray and sanding is cheap and easy.  You could probably do the whole thing for $100 or less depending on how much of the supplies you already have on hand vs having to buy them.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • I would save your money for moving out and supporting yourself and the baby.  It sounds like it is all aesthetic/cosmetic. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would think realistically about how long you will be there. If you think it's only a few months, then just deal with it as is. If you think it will be a year or so, then I would paint it correctly.  It might be nice yo have a nice little oasis in what will probably be a chaotic environment.  Think of the sanding and all the effort as rent to your parents for letting you stay.  Paint is a relatively cheap and easy was of making something more homey. 

As a side note, for walls that have never been painted before, make sure you use a primer. It's cheaper than paint and will keep the paint from soaking in as much and you won't need as much to cover it.  

• I would have to fix it. It would drive me crazy, but thats just me.
  • imageCRLSMC2011:
    I would save your money for moving out and supporting yourself and the baby.  It sounds like it is all aesthetic/cosmetic. 

This.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • I may search around the house and see what paint we have left over, just to paint my little "nursery corner". It may happen to be pink, but I doubt my little boy will care what color the walls are, especially if I move out as soon as I would like to. Being realistic, I may be here longer than I want to be, but I think I'll settle for what supplies we have laying around.
  • imagebananers:

imageCRLSMC2011:
    I would save your money for moving out and supporting yourself and the baby.  It sounds like it is all aesthetic/cosmetic. 

This.

Agreed. Save all the money you can to get your own place.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"