October 2013 Moms

Midwife or OB?

I'm having a really hard time not telling anyone that I'm expecting right now. I've been pretty sick all week (really bad cold/flu) and I've been working from home. It's been extra hard because I'm super nauseous all the time. I went back to work today but almost threw up 3 times so I'm working from home the rest of the day.

Meanwhile, I can't stop worrying about what practice to use this time.

There are 2 options. I saw 1 last night and will see the other on Tuesday.

1) It's a midwifery practice that also has 2 OBs for backup. It's a state-run place that's intended for people who can't afford services so much of what they do is free and apparently they only recently started to accept insurance. I spoke with 1 midwife by phone and met the other. I like them. The place looks really nice. There are some things that I'd have to do because of it's a free clinic. (For example, they can't see me until I go in and POAS for them - then they'll set up an appointment.) It's just kind of a pain. But, it seems like they know some homeopathic remedies and they'll really try to make sure that everything is as natural as possible. (Also because most of their patients can't afford some of the fancier interventions.)

It's weird though because we have great health insurance, and anyway we're not in need of free services. It feels really strange to go to a free clinic.

2) The other place is an OB practice. I don't know much about them, but I know that their c/s rate is extremely low and they have a very good reputation. The head of the practice is also the head of OB at the hospital.

I know I have to wait until Tuesday to make a real decision, but right now I feel conflicted about even needing a midwife. Last time, my OB was supposed to be super holistic and told me to drink peppermint tea instead of taking tums for acid reflux, but that was kind of it. She wasn't there for most of the labor. I ended up needing an epidural anyway. I guess I'm wondering if I'd really gain so much from a midwife anyway.

In general, I'm really into natural medicine and stuff. But right now, it just seems like there's not much that would be different anyway. Anyone who has experience with a midwife or a midwife and an OB want to weigh in?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: Midwife or OB?

• imageRedZee:

I'm having a really hard time not telling anyone that I'm expecting right now. I've been pretty sick all week (really bad cold/flu) and I've been working from home. It's been extra hard because I'm super nauseous all the time. I went back to work today but almost threw up 3 times so I'm working from home the rest of the day.

Meanwhile, I can't stop worrying about what practice to use this time.

There are 2 options. I saw 1 last night and will see the other on Tuesday.

1) It's a midwifery practice that also has 2 OBs for backup. It's a state-run place that's intended for people who can't afford services so much of what they do is free and apparently they only recently started to accept insurance. I spoke with 1 midwife by phone and met the other. I like them. The place looks really nice. There are some things that I'd have to do because of it's a free clinic. (For example, they can't see me until I go in and POAS for them - then they'll set up an appointment.) It's just kind of a pain. But, it seems like they know some homeopathic remedies and they'll really try to make sure that everything is as natural as possible. (Also because most of their patients can't afford some of the fancier interventions.)

It's weird though because we have great health insurance, and anyway we're not in need of free services. It feels really strange to go to a free clinic.

2) The other place is an OB practice. I don't know much about them, but I know that their c/s rate is extremely low and they have a very good reputation. The head of the practice is also the head of OB at the hospital.

I know I have to wait until Tuesday to make a real decision, but right now I feel conflicted about even needing a midwife. Last time, my OB was supposed to be super holistic and told me to drink peppermint tea instead of taking tums for acid reflux, but that was kind of it. She wasn't there for most of the labor. I ended up needing an epidural anyway. I guess I'm wondering if I'd really gain so much from a midwife anyway.

In general, I'm really into natural medicine and stuff. But right now, it just seems like there's not much that would be different anyway. Anyone who has experience with a midwife or a midwife and an OB want to weigh in?

It is pretty normal that you have to take a pg test first. Or at least it is for me. If it were me I would go with the MWs, but that is because I am more comfortable with them. Can you meet the OB's and go from there? 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know how you feel, people keep asking me if I'm sick or why I'm so tired and it's a bit hard not to spill the beans.

Also I was referred to this place for a midwife

https://www.fullcirclewomenshealth.com/

I go next week to check it out, but I'm pretty excited from the website and even though it's out of network for my insurance it seems like they try to work around it.

• Loading the player...
  • If it were me, I would shy away from the midwife just because of it being a free clinic. I say this for several reasons, the first being that there is only so  many patients they can take on at a time and I would want to leave the space for someone who can not afford to go elsewhere.  Second, since its a free clinic, a lot of people are going to go there and it might be more difficult to get appointments or develop a personal relationships with the staff. 

Both of those may not be true in the least, obviously I do not know the practice.  That is just what came to my mind first.  If you are more comfortable with the midwife, go there.  With these kinds of things sometimes you just have to trust your gut.  

• If you don't need the free services the midwifery place offers I personally wouldn't go there.  I would feel guilty that I was taking services away from those that actually need them.

I used a regular OB and a doula.  Too me, it was the best of both worlds.

Lost baby at 13 weeks due to triploidy syndrome D&C 3/27/13 repeat D&C 5/8/13Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Doctor, OB, hospital, drugs, baby. That's my birrth plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegenstar84:

I know how you feel, people keep asking me if I'm sick or why I'm so tired and it's a bit hard not to spill the beans.

I go next week to check it out, but I'm pretty excited from the website and even though it's out of network for my insurance it seems like they try to work around it.

Genstar - where do you live?

I'm not trying to scare you, but I started there for my first pregnancy and had a really terrible experience. I later heard a few other horror stories from their former patients. (I also know a few people who absolutely love going there though.)

• I agree that if I don't need the services, it seems like I might be taking them away from someone who does, and that bothers me too. I think that's part of my hesitation. I think it's something I can ask them before signing up though. It might be the case that since I can pay for the services it helps them continue to offer what they offer, but I'm not sure about that either.

A major question for me is what I gain by going through a midwife. Last time, I felt like I'd have a more natural pregnancy and labor. But now I feel like I have more control over that than anyone else anyway and for labor, DH was a really amazing coach. That said, because I wasn't progressing 22 hours after my water broke, I ended up with an epidural. So maybe a midwife would be better.

Ugh! 

• Shop around, visit with them to get a feel for them, and then make your decision. I started out with a MW while pg with DD and loved them! The MW who delivered DD was also amazing. This time I'm at an all-OB practice and I think it fits my needs much better. GL! It's a hard decision!

• imagetandb2010:
    Doctor, OB, hospital, drugs, baby. That's my birrth plan.

Yesssssssssss Yes  

• imagegenstar84:

I know how you feel, people keep asking me if I'm sick or why I'm so tired and it's a bit hard not to spill the beans.

I work right by this place!  

imageimage

• imagetandb2010:

I love you. Yes 

imageimage

• I wanted a natural labor/delivery too but my water broke and contractions didn't start.  I got pitocin after 12 hours and then an epi after 18.  I'm concerned that I will be in a similar situation with my next so I would feel more comfortable at a hospital with an OB versus a midwife.  It is totally a personal decision.

Lost baby at 13 weeks due to triploidy syndrome D&C 3/27/13 repeat D&C 5/8/13Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagetandb2010:

Yes  Yes

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't go to a free clinic if I didn't need the services for the reasons listed. I'd try to meet with the OBs and see how you like them. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I see 2 midwives. They work with 2 Ob's also. Choosing a midwife does not necessarily mean that you don't want an epidural or that you won't have a hospital birth. My Mw's were there for me and are the reason I carried dd 5 days past what a dr would have allowed, simply because my numbers were enough for them to induce. I had a mag drip, cervical balloon and pitocin all in a hospital. Completely unnatural but this is what had to happen and my Mw's were by my side. In looking for pre-natal care I focused on who I was comfortable with and who looked out for me. I loved the personalized care and the relationship I had with my midwives. Midwives are completely mis-judged.

As far as your concerns, I would not go with the free clinic. I think there is a chance someone else may truly be in need. 

Olivia June BFP 12/26/10 EDD 09/01/11 Birthday 08/02/11

BFP 12/25/12 EDD 09/06/13 M/C, 01/02/13

BFP 01/28/13 EDD 10/08/13 STICK BABY!

Pregnancy Ticker

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." Romans 12:12

• I delivered with a MW last time (at a hospital, with back up drs) and needed some serious stitches afterward.  They were not properly done by the MW and I had some major difficulty healing after the birth because of it... PAINFUL.  When I went back in to see them (and show them I had absolutely no stitches anymore??) they were shocked, I guess they were not tied off properly.  I'm sure it's NOT a regular thing. They brought in a doctor to fix everything.   I'm sure mistakes like this happen with doctors, too... but I'm kind of terrified to go back so I'm going with an OB this time. 
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• @ RedZee, I live in Jersey, but decided to check this place out because I work in Westchester. What kind of horrible experience did you have? Was it with a particular midwife?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"