Stay at Home Moms

How to keep bread fresh?

I've got six rounds of uncut muffuletta bread in my kitchen. Was shipped to me and delivered today. I am going to make the sandwiches on Saturday afternoon and refrigerate overnight to let the olive salad make everything yummy. 

Anyway, how should I store the bread until then? I know how to refrigerate it, but part of me wants to freeze it and defrost in two days. That seems silly and would also mean I have to throw away half the crap in my fridge. 

Re: How to keep bread fresh?

• I would just refrigerate. My parents always bought bread on sale frozen and thought it tasted stale after it defrosted. I know some people don't mind or don't notice but I have always been able to taste the difference. Also, I would not want to go through and throw out a bunch of freezer stuff.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • For sandwich bread, it will be fine. Maybe put it in the fridge to keep it soft.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I thought putting bread in the fridge made it go stale faster...at least that's what Sheldon said on Big Bang Theory.

ETA: Yes, I googled and everything I saw said the counter is the best place for bread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DON'T REFRIGERATE IT!!!! Bread stales quickest at just about 40 degrees, which is right where your fridge is. You want to store it at room temperature to keep it fresh.

ETA - freezing prevents it from staling, so it's fine to do that if you aren't going to eat it all in a timely manner. 

• Keeping it in the fridge is the worst thing for bread according to what I've seen. I think I'm just going to leave it be on the counter. I'm not going to open the packages and maybe I'll put them in big bags.
  • imageKateMW:
    Keeping it in the fridge is the worst thing for bread according to what I've seen. I think I'm just going to leave it be on the counter. I'm not going to open the packages and maybe I'll put them in big bags.

That's good to know. I've never done it but know of people that have. My grandma used to store her bread along with potato chips, crackers and other misc. food in the oven. She wanted to utilize every bit of space LOL The first time DH was at her house we were cooking and he preheated the oven and started a fire. Now she stores all that stuff in the microwave.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"