September 2012 Moms

Ever Sell Back to "Once Upon a Child?"

I was thinking of eventually selling some baby gear and clothes at Once Upon a Child. Has anyone ever done this before? Do you get a decent amount back?

I know I would probably make more money selling on eBay or Craigslist, but I really don't have the time or the patience. Maybe some of the bigger items, I would. I mean, I have things that were barely used at all. I have clothes that were never worn. And right now I don't really have anyone to give this stuff to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ever Sell Back to "Once Upon a Child?"

• I WAS GOING TOO WITH CHILDRENS ORCHARD ((oops just realized the caps was on)) but i wasnt about to waste my time... the lady before me brought like 3 black trash bags full of clothes... they took about 2 bags and she got $50

i mean i guess thats a okay amount... but id rather offer mine to friends or family first

(Kate & Dave)) 4.26.08
    (N.J.O) 9.14.12

• We have one close to our house and I know that they will you give you half of what they can sell it for.  I've seen them sell Rock N' Plays for $30, so you'd only get $15, for example.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did try and I got a pitifully small amount of money for my items. I now just take a few minutes a day and make eBay listings. You can now list 50 things a month for free, and I use flat rate envelopes so I don't have to worry about calculating shipping ($5.30 to ship anywhere in the country, and the envelopes a free! Just order them on USPS.com). All I need to do is take pictures, write a short description with the brand name, size, colors, any stains, etc. and I'm done. It's worth it to me to do it that way because I get so much more for my clothing. Just remember to charge enough to cover the selling fee (3% I think). And things sell better in lots, so I put together two to three outfits that are the same size and sell them as one item. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In high school I worked at a Children's Orchard for a while. You'll eat great money if you have in good shape Gymboree, gap, designer clothes. Otherwise it is eh.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got $7 for 4 pieces of clothing.

They only took a small percentage of what I brought in, but I was happy with the amount I got back.

Emilia Antoinette
    10.03.12 at 41w5d Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's what I was afraid of, but I was pretty sure that would be the case. I will probably just hold onto it. Someone I know will have another girl eventually!

• imageUnem:

I got $7 for 4 pieces of clothing.

They only took a small percentage of what I brought in, but I was happy with the amount I got back.

That's not too bad. What was their criteria for taking stuff...condition? Brand names? Just what they happened to need at the time? 

• I'm always looking ebay for higher brand stuff, they often sell for good money. I would just go that route with your better stuff if you don't want to give it to friends/family. I was bidding on a pair of Boden pants and shirt for James last week. I stopped at $25 and it sold for $75 plus shipping!!! I don't think it would have cost that much brand new when it was in the stores last season.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• imagehmp&mrj:
    I'm always looking ebay for higher brand stuff, they often sell for good money. I would just go that route with your better stuff if you don't want to give it to friends/family. I was bidding on a pair of Boden pants and shirt for James last week. I stopped at $25 and it sold for $75 plus shipping!!! I don't think it would have cost that much brand new when it was in the stores last season.

Because of something you posted a long time ago I started looking at the Hanna Andersson brand. I am in love with their sleepers but not so much the pricetag. I have had great deals with finding them on e bay. 

ETA: Thanks for the tip! 

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• I haven't tried OUAC, but I did do a local kids' consignment sale in the fall. You set your own prices (they recommend 25-30 percent of retail), and you get 60%. Not great, but I didn't have anyone to give the stuff to either. We got about $200.

• imageBarefootContessa:

imagehmp&mrj:
    I'm always looking ebay for higher brand stuff, they often sell for good money. I would just go that route with your better stuff if you don't want to give it to friends/family. I was bidding on a pair of Boden pants and shirt for James last week. I stopped at $25 and it sold for $75 plus shipping!!! I don't think it would have cost that much brand new when it was in the stores last season.

Because of something you posted a long time ago I started looking at the Hanna Andersson brand. I am in love with their sleepers but not so much the pricetag. I have had great deals with finding them on e bay. 

ETA: Thanks for the tip! 

I bought both the boys HA Christmas pjs on Ebay this year. I buy a lot of their higher end clothes on Ebay and keep my max pretty low so I know I'm getting a good deal. I bid on a lot of stuff and don't win too much because of the max I am willing to spend. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I take my kids outgrown clothes and toys to Children's Orchard. No, you don't get a ton of money, but it's virtually no work on my part. I usually opt for store credit, which gives me 30% more than getting cash. The store is very selective on what it takes in infant sizes because so many people have tons of infant clothes. Over size 12 months, my store will take a lot more of what you bring in (as long as it's in good condition). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a friend sell a few things there and it reminded me of what we got when we had a garage sale in the summer. She sold kids stuff at my sale (I didn't have any baby/kids stuff to sell since I was pg at the time). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"