1st Trimester
Options

What is with doctors...

Being so stingy with ultrasounds???

Because my last PG ended in a MC, I went in early to do bloodwork this time. Once I was diagnosed with low progesterone, they had me come in for an U/S to confirm that everything looked good around 7.5 weeks.

Today was supposed to be my first "official" appointment 10.5 wks and I was scheduled for an U/S and visit with my OB. OB decided I didn't need to have an ultrasound since i had one 3 wks ago, even though I pretty much begged and expressed my dissapointment. WTF? Why does it matter to her if I have another U/S?? Am I missing a piece here, or is this the norm? I'm just pissed that they told me I would be getting one and then said "not happening". Especially being PGAL, it does wonders for my nerves to be able to see that little heart beating. Can someone explain why Drs never seem to want to do ultrasounds??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What is with doctors...

• Options

A lot of insurance companies won't cover extra ultrasounds- if money is not an object and you're willing to pay out of pocket, you can let them know that.  It's also possible that the US machine is very booked and they don't want to "waste" a time slot for an US that's not medically needed.

They probably told you you'd have one at the first appt because it's standard, and once they realized you had an early one that was used for dating, realized you wouldn't need another so soon. 

My practice does a dating US at the first appt, an optional NT scan at 12 weeks, and the anatomy scan at 18 weeks- anything additional is only done if medically necessary.  Many practices only do the 18 week scan.

If you really want to see baby, you could go to one of the boutique/entertainment US places. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Insurance companies aren't going to cover an u/s just because you want one. If the doctor deems it not medically necessary you will be paying for it OOP.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They are expensive, and usually not covered by insurance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's totally understandable that you're nervous and more u/s would help but the blunt truth is that it's just not a medical reason and there needs to be one to do a medical procedure.  I'm sure you're bummed but your doctor feels confident in what he's seen/done so far so that's great news.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I wondered if its that you only get so many per pregnancy. In that case I wish my office would get their sht together and schedule me for the correct appointments. They always seems so confused...At the last appointment the first thing the nurse said was "so we're a little confused, are you pregnant or not?" look at my freaking chartI had a blood test here last week!!! Rant overthanks for your help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagekestock120:
    Insurance companies aren't going to cover an u/s just because you want one. If the doctor deems it not medically necessary you will be paying for it OOP.

Yes. If you don't have reason [basically threatened mc] the doctor doesn't have to do one. It's actually unusual to get more than one during first trimester. That is, unless you have a history of multiple losses, high risk or IF.

Don't worry though, your anatomy scan will come sooner than you think!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Have you checked with your insurance company to see how many u/s they cover and if they cover u/s that are not medically needed. This may be a good thing for you to check into before you beg for more u/s.

Your doctor probably doesn't want to give you more than you need for that reason. It is a risk for them, financially, to give you an u/s that insurance doesn't cover because if you don't pay then they have to go through a lot of hoops.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options

They don't just hand out ultrasounds for the same reason they don't just give our MRIs. It's a medical procedure that is expensive and not medically necessary in your case. If you want more, go to an entertainment ultrasound place and pay for it out of pocket. Our insurance costs shouldn't be higher because you just want an extra ultrasound.

I understand your fears. I'm pregnant after two losses. I'm terrified. But unfortunately, I just have to trust that things are going ok after getting the proper prenatal care. It's pretty standard to get a dating u/s, the first trimester screen and then the 20 week anatomy scan. A lot of women don't even get the dating ultrasound.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"