3rd Trimester

DS can't meet babies at hospital cause of flu

The hospital has a new rule in place at the moment, that no one under 12 can visit, including siblings, because of the flu outbreak.  My DH might go home if I'm okay at some point.  Our parents will take turns watching him at our house, but I don't want the kiddo to think I have disappeared for 3-4 days.  He's only 3.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: DS can't meet babies at hospital cause of flu

• A friend of mine had this happen with the H1N1 virus was going around and she had her second.  Her son was also 3 at the time.  They arranged for the people who were watching him to come and visit at the hospital cafeteria and have lunch or dinner with them a couple of times.  He didn't get to meet the baby since it's the hospital wings that the kids aren't allowed on, but he at least got to see his mom & dad.
    Mommy to
    Tyler (10/29/08)
    and Lily (4/21/13)

• Can you FaceTime or Skype with him? I know it's not the same as seeing you in person but at least he would know you do in fact still exist :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you have a vaginal birth you could always request to be released early.  I already discussed with my OB that if I'm able to have a VBAC with this baby I want to go home the following day (I actually considered a natural birth at a birth center just to get home early).  It's a little different since I'm carrying for someone else, but I don't see a reason that you have to stay in the hospital for days unless you're having a c/s.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • We have the same situation here and I'm freaked out that my 2yr old and I will be separated for 3 days (RCS) and I really wanted him to be the first person after me and DH to meet his brother.  I'm thinking of smuggling him in with a suitcase LOL  kidding only kidding
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Even if the kids in question have a flu vaccine on record?

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imagekgs0505:
    Even if the kids in question have a flu vaccine on record?

I was told by my OB that the hospital would make an exception if my kid wasn't showing any symptoms of being sick.  I was told by other moms that if I showed proof he has the flu shot he could get in.  The hospital says no exceptions- no kids under the age of 18 and only immediate family.  My grandparents and aunts can't even come visit, just my mom and brother. 

• Ugh!  hopefully by the time I deliver in April the worst will be over out here in CA.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• My hospital also has this restriction in place. I'm so sad about not seeing DS for 2-3 days. My MIL works at the hospital I will deliver at so I'm wondering if I can have DH bring him to her office so I can see him. He won't see baby brother, but at least we can visit for a few.
  • That sucks. I keep checking our hospital website every few days in fear that they will institute this rule. I would be really upset, especially because I think an unvaccinated adult is just as likely to bring in germs. Heck, my BIL hasn't had his flu shot but DD has, so.....
  • imageIncogNeato:
    That sucks. I keep checking our hospital website every few days in fear that they will institute this rule. I would be really upset, especially because I think an unvaccinated adult is just as likely to bring in germs. Heck, my BIL hasn't had his flu shot but DD has, so.....

I agree with you!!  My DH hasn't had a flu shot but DS has.  So my kid should trump my husband LOL  Our hospital is going to re-look at the "lock down" at the beginning of Feb. and decide if they will lift it completely, be a little less restrictive, or keep it in full force.

• I had to go into the L&D department of my hospital this afternoon to pre-register, and I also had to ask a couple of other questions, so I was in the waiting room. I saw 4 children, all 5 and under so I'm assuming that they don't have restrictions in place...?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital has the same policy in place right now, hospital-wide, not just L&D/maternity.  Am I disappointed that DD may not get to meet her baby brother right away, and really hoping that they go back to their regular policy before mid-March?  Of course, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big deal, and certainly not more important than protecting the health of those that have a compromised/immature immune system.

• imageonlymeggan:

imagekgs0505:
    Even if the kids in question have a flu vaccine on record?

I was told by my OB that the hospital would make an exception if my kid wasn't showing any symptoms of being sick.  I was told by other moms that if I showed proof he has the flu shot he could get in.  The hospital says no exceptions- no kids under the age of 18 and only immediate family.  My grandparents and aunts can't even come visit, just my mom and brother. 

I don't really know the rules at our hospital, but around here there's been a really heinous cold going around. I got it and have been the sickest I've been in a long time. I got the flu shot AND got swabbed for the flu, just in case, came back negative. My roommate was in the hospital for 6 days with it, actually he had other comorbitities that the sickness just kicked into high gear(he gave it to me...before he was admitted, lol). Many fellow nurses/doctors at work have been out, and even my OB said 3 of his colleagues were out today with it.

So I would think that even though a child has had the flu vaccine he/she shouldn't be there. Plus, my roommate gave me his nastiness before he was exhibiting symptoms.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This happened when my second was born. There isn't anything you can do and the time goes by fast. 

I think it was harder on me not seeing my little guy then it was on him.  They get over it pretty fast.

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • That stinks. I agree with PP about Skype or face time. 
  • I understand your disappointment.  We actually chose to have DS1 NOT come to the hospital to meet his brother since I was only gone for 2 days.

On the bright side I found the all encompassing time alone with DS2 to be very special and was his only time to be "the only child."  

We were able to get DS2 home while DS1 was napping so when he woke up, DH and I were able to go up and greet him and have our reunion before he saw the baby.  We video taped their meeting and it gave DS1 plenty of time to take in what was happening etc.. and have us to himself again while the baby slept instead of having to leave us at the hospital with his new sibling.

I did miss DS1 a lot so I would suggest bringing pictures of your oldest with you and def phone or skype them.  I don't know if I would show them the new baby on video though, you don't want them to think you are off with another kid, even though you are, lol.

We plan on doing the same again even though our hospital hasn't made any rule yet.  I do agree if you are having a section though maybe like someone else said meet them for lunch in the cafeteria.  Good luck with your delivery!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecandreco:

Our hospital has the same policy in place right now, hospital-wide, not just L&D/maternity.  Am I disappointed that DD may not get to meet her baby brother right away, and really hoping that they go back to their regular policy before mid-March?  Of course, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really a big deal, and certainly not more important than protecting the health of those that have a compromised/immature immune system.

Yep this.  It seems ridiculously selfish of you to think  you seeing your kid should trump the health of all the newborns on the delivery floor.

Also DD had her flu shot this year and was still diagnosed with the flu a couple weeks ago so using that as proof they should be allowed on the L&D floor doesn't make much sense to me. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I didn't even think to ask about this.  I guess I will at my next visit! 

I agree with PPs.  Try to skype or do a quick visit in the cafeteria if you can.  Sad  Sorry this sucks so much.  

• I'm a hospital administrator and this is very common practice.  Your kids will survive for a few days w/o meeting the new baby. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital has similar restrictions to others due to the flu.  No visitors under 18, 2 visitors at a time and all visitors in both maternity and the nicu must wear masks at all times.  While it does stink, it is for the protection of all the babies on the floor. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 7/10/2012 .... DS Born: 2/26/2013
    TTC #2: 5/2014
    BFP #2: 7/8/2014 .... MC at 4w4d
    BFP #3: 9/14/2014...EDD 5/30/2015

Little Sister is on the way!
  • Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I think no on the cafeteria idea for two reasons.  One, DS has severe food allergies and has a contact reaction to so many foods, we avoid restaurants for this reason.  Two, I'm having twins so I really don't know how I'll be delivering until I go into labor, because they can flip up until delivery.  Looks like skype it is!  :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJJ3813:
    Can you FaceTime or Skype with him? I know it's not the same as seeing you in person but at least he would know you do in fact still exist :) 

This is exactly what I was going to say.  I think it is a good idea.  He can see you and talk to you each day you are there and see the babies. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • personally we're not planning on having DS going to the hospital at all (while I am there) because yes I know hospitals are supposed to be clean but the visitors aren't always clean, or healthy Stick out tongue and my parents said I got really sick after visiting my sister for the first time (when I was 4 yr). I would rather wait and have DS meet his new sibling at home where it will be familiar for him and won't have to worry about leaving mom in hospital.

Also I like that hospitals do this, at least when I delivered DS. It was in December about 3 years ago and (at least the hospital I delivered at) they have a very stern rule that during flu season, the woman in delivery can only have two visitors, that's it. Sounds mean, but compared to my friend who delivered in March a couple months before where she couldn't sleep thanks to visitors coming in and out. I might tell a little white lie and say "oh shoot, I'd love to see me after delivery but the hospital won't allow visitors, darn." Wink

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"