2nd Trimester
Options

Exercise question

I love doing Zumba but the past couple of times I just feel uncomfortable around the bottom of my belly.

Any ideas as to what I can do to support my belly during work outs?

Thanks! :)

Re: Exercise question

• Options

I completely understand the relevance of this question! I love to dance, and used to take weekly aerobics/high-low/dance classes at my local YMCA.

Though during my 1st trimester, I did not go to the gym AT ALL because I didn't have the energy, I did a lot of walking and low-impact exercises.

Now, I'm back to dance and Zumba. Here's what I recommend:

1. Work out at 80% of your usual intensity

2. Avoid jumps, torso twists, and high-impact workouts

3. Those maternity support belts really do help!

This advice was given to me by my OB/GYN. I'm also a certified group fitness instructor.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was on pelvic rest my first tri so I couldn't work out the way I wanted to at all.  I'm now trying to get back into the swing of things. Perhaps just being out of shape is part of it!

I'm going to give the maternity belt a go and see if that helps for sure.  Thanks for that ladies!

Any suggestions on a particular belt?

• Options
    is a maternity belt different than a bella/baby band?
  • Options
    imageCanDoAnything:

I completely understand the relevance of this question! I love to dance, and used to take weekly aerobics/high-low/dance classes at my local YMCA.

Though during my 1st trimester, I did not go to the gym AT ALL because I didn't have the energy, I did a lot of walking and low-impact exercises.

Now, I'm back to dance and Zumba. Here's what I recommend:

1. Work out at 80% of your usual intensity

2. Avoid jumps, torso twists, and high-impact workouts

3. Those maternity support belts really do help!

This advice was given to me by my OB/GYN. I'm also a certified group fitness instructor.

Why 80% of usual intensity?  Why can't you jump?  I have not read that anywhere. Also, what do you consider high-impact?  The biggest thing I have learned is to be aware of the fact that your ligaments are loose due to pregnancy, and thus to be cautious. 

Lilypie - (eoyh)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"