1st Trimester

Telling my parents

I am so nervous about telling my parents. I recently got married last July and my parents paid for the whole wedding, we fought the entire time cause money is really tight. For the past 4 months everyone has been asking me when I was going to have a baby and I would brush it off. I mentioned it to my mom once and she said you guys need to wait. I have a very close relationship with both of my parents but its tough because I have always been the "responsible child". As you can probably guess this pregnancy was not planned at all but I am so excited and happy. I am planning on telling my parents this weekend but I am super nervous about what their reaction will be. Words of encouragement or any advice on how to tell them would be great!

Re: Telling my parents

• My mom said the same thing when we started talking about having kids... I was 25, pushing 26 and DH and I had been married for almost 2 years. I think for my mom it was more that she was nervous about being a grandmother under 60 yrs old. Needless to say they were happy and love DD more than anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah both my parents are in their mid-50's and it will be their first grandchild.I just hope they are as happy as I am.

• Loading the player...
  • My DH and I have been married almost a year and a half. Everyone told us, "Wait at least two years before you start trying to have kids..." We both felt like it was time and so we started trying. I think everyone was a little weary at first but they are all very excited for us.

I know you guys weren't planning on having a baby right now but I wouldn't worry. Some people might be a little shocked and seem disapproving at first, but I can gaurentee they will get over it and be excited for you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • I bet they will be really excited. Maybe think of a fun way to tell them - look on pinterest for ideas. They might be shocked at first but it seems like most grandparents just get so excited once it settles in. Don't stress! This is happy news!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm kind of in the same boat. We just got married last June and I'm only 22. But my hubby and I have been together for almost 5 years and matured a lot faster than a lot of people we went to high school with (got married younger, already own a house, etc) while most of my friends are still out going to college parties. We talked about it and decided to stop trying to not get pregnant and just found out we are 6 weeks pregnant now! But like pp, it was ingrained in my head to finish high school, graduate college, then get married, etc like there are certain steps to life and you have to do them in that order at a certain time in your life. And my mom had me at 18 (which makes her only 40 now), and I constantly hear from her "you better not make me a grandma yet". We are planning on telling both families this weekend and I'm really nervous about how my parent's will react. His sibilings are older and have already had children, so I know at least that his parents will be excited.
  • I can understand being nervous. Even though I was married, had a good job and was relatively financially stable when I got pregnant with DS, I was still nervous. I think it just feels a little weird sometimes to go from "omg I cant get pregnant or my parents will be so dissapointed" your whole life to " guess what mom & dad, I'm pregnant! get excited" However, I would be surprised if your parents were anything but happy.

If by some off chance they are not happy, I would remember that youre an adult, its your marriage/finances/pregnancy/etc. and its not up to them to have an opinion. That may be easier said than done, but its true. Im sure they will be supportive and the sooner you tell them the sooner you will feel better! Good luck.

• i sent my mom a pacifier in the mail and told her i would have to have it back by my due date  i got a call later after she had gotten it asking me if i meant something diffrent then what it was meant for  
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"