Multiples

size/growth of twins

Talk to me about twins and their growth. I know that if/since they are early they tend to be smaller. How long do they stay smaller before they catch up to "normal"?

As in, will they be wearing 3M at 3 months, 6M at 6 months, 9M at 9 months... etc... or will they still be a tad smaller for a while? I would imagine it just depends on the babies, and each baby is different. Just wondering if I can get an idea.
Began TTC #1 in January 2011
Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
+#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
+#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Re: size/growth of twins

• Most preemies growth follows their adjusted age more so than actual. My boys are nearly 10 months old but only 7.5 adjusted. Their 9m clothing fits but is snug, 12m fits but is large. I think that's pretty typical for their adjusted age. The thing to remember is that every brand sizes things differently. Gerber is super small so my boys could probably comfortably wear 18m or even 24m right now. Circo is huge so 6m still is roomy. I don't think you can ever truly anticipate what size kids will be in at a certain point.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • You are very correct that it depends on the babies  but here has been my experience.  With my 'nanny twins' (ones I used to nanny for) they were born at 38 weeks, were 5.15 and 6.9 lbs.  They wore the size of their age, 0-3 until 3 months, 3-6 until 6 months, etc.  They then became bigger and were about a size ahead starting at like 6 months.  My twins were born at 35.6 week, were 5.7 and 5.9 lbs and have constantly be a size behind, so right now they are 8 1/2 months but still wearing mostly 3-6 month stuff.  It also depends on the brand, another thing, for sizing such as 3 Months, 6 Months, etc. like from Carters, those are really 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, so whatever the month number is on the tag, that is the upper month size.  Simply, a Carters 3 Month onesie is size 0-3 months, don't wait to pull that out at 3 months and expect it to fit for very long :)  The only thing I buy ahead any more is short sleeve shirts because you can layer those with long sleeved onesies underneath.  Bottoms I don't buy ahead any more because I have no idea when they are going to fit.  Their entire 12-18 month wardrobe I bought on sale last year for this summer is going to be wayyyy too big. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
  • imageangelfire02:
    You are very correct that it depends on the babies  but here has been my experience.  With my 'nanny twins' (ones I used to nanny for) they were born at 38 weeks, were 5.15 and 6.9 lbs.  They wore the size of their age, 0-3 until 3 months, 3-6 until 6 months, etc.  They then became bigger and were about a size ahead starting at like 6 months.  My twins were born at 35.6 week, were 5.7 and 5.9 lbs and have constantly be a size behind, so right now they are 8 1/2 months but still wearing mostly 3-6 month stuff.  It also depends on the brand, another thing, for sizing such as 3 Months, 6 Months, etc. like from Carters, those are really 0-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, so whatever the month number is on the tag, that is the upper month size.  Simply, a Carters 3 Month onesie is size 0-3 months, don't wait to pull that out at 3 months and expect it to fit for very long :)  The only thing I buy ahead any more is short sleeve shirts because you can layer those with long sleeved onesies underneath.  Bottoms I don't buy ahead any more because I have no idea when they are going to fit.  Their entire 12-18 month wardrobe I bought on sale last year for this summer is going to be wayyyy too big. 

Thank you, this is very helpful!

• It really depends on when they are born, birth weight, genetics, etc.  My boys were premature and still pretty small even for adjusted age. For instance they wore NB/0-3 mo size until 6 months, 3-6 mo size until 9 mo, 6-9 mo size until 15 mo, and at 18 mo they still fit 9-12 mo sizes, however one is starting to fit 12-18 mo since he's 3 lbs bigger.  I learned my lesson to only buy clothes about 1 season in advance (especially when they are small and changing so quickly).
  • imageMrs. Alice:
    It really depends on when they are born, birth weight, genetics, etc.  My boys were premature and still pretty small even for adjusted age. For instance they wore NB/0-3 mo size until 6 months, 3-6 mo size until 9 mo, 6-9 mo size until 15 mo, and at 18 mo they still fit 9-12 mo sizes, however one is starting to fit 12-18 mo since he's 3 lbs bigger.  I learned my lesson to only buy clothes about 1 season in advance (especially when they are small and changing so quickly).

Yep, this exactly. My girls were born just before 37 weeks, weighed 6 lb 9 oz and 7 lb 1 oz and now, at nearly four months old, they are over 16 pounds and wearing some 3-6 and some 6-9 month. I agree with PP about not buying clothes too far in advance!

• So depends on the kid. My girl is in 03 my boy is in 12m. She is 12.6lbs. He is 19.9
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree it depends on gestational age at birth, genetics, and medical factors. My boys were born at 37w6d and they were 20" long, 6lbs7oz, and 19.75" 6lbs10oz. They were both 12 lbs by 2m and 15 lbs by 3m though, so they shot up the growth charts fast.

They were swimming in NB at first, actually, but they were in 0-3m by about 8 weeks and after that they were in the size that matched their age pretty perfectly until 18m and then their torsos started to outpace their legs. ;) They just turned 4 and are currently in 4T tops (have been in those since last spring) and 3T pants. They both actually dropped quite a bit on the growth charts for height after they turned 2 but I think that's more genetics. Alex had always been right around the 65th percentile for height and Will right around the 50th for the first two years straight, but now they're both more in the 15th-30th percentile range. However, I'm tallish for a woman (5'7") and DH is short for a man (5'8") so I think DH's genes are kicking in for them now. ;)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I think that what you said, each baby is different is so true.

My 2 girls were born at 38 weeks and at good weights.6.1 and 6.13 and they were in 0-3 right away, even though it was big on them.We had a few NB clothes.

At the moment they are 6 months old and one of mine wears size 6months and the otther is in a size 9 month and she will be in 12 month pretty soon. My bigger baby is almost 4 pounds heavier, but she also has a different built.My smaller one has a slight built. 

• Mine were 3 wks early - they will be 6 months in a wk.  My boy is in 9 month clothes and is average size.  My girl is in 6 month clothes, but is in the 5th percentile for weight.  She is tall though, in the 90th percentile for height.  We need the 6 month clothes for the length, but most pants are big around her little belly.  So to answer your question, my boy is on par with a singleton, and so is our girl in terms of clothing sizes even though she is a string bean.

Your statement really sums it up - each baby is different.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"