2nd Trimester
Options

low lying placenta

Hey everyone. I haven't posted on this board much, but I do lurk. I have a question that I felt was suited for here....

Yesterday I had my a/s scan and they said I had a low lying placenta, but it's not covering the cervix. I was kinda just in like "what?" mode and didn't ask a ton of questions. The midwife at the perinatal office said she sees it all the time and it normally corrects itself. I was just wondering how many of you had it around your a/s scan and then it did indeed correct itself or is in the process of doing so? Also she said no strenuous exercise, yoga is fine. Which I was going to start doing that this week. I know walking dogs isn't normally strenuous but I walk two dogs, one of which is a puller. I read that some dr's say dont do a lot of walking. If you had this did they limit your walking? I was just told no intercourse and the exercise thing...Also, I'm reading conflicting things saying that a low lying placenta doesn't nourish the baby as much...has anyone heard this from their dr? I am going to call my ob today but I don't think they would've already gotten the full report and I don't know if the will even get back to me today...

Thanks...Sorry this post is all over the place, i'm just really nervous.

m/c 2002 7w2d
bfp 9.6.12 | edd 5.17.13 | m/c 9.19.12 5w5d

bfp 10.18.12 | edd 6/28/13

beta#1 10.18.12 - 96 / progestrone 32 || beta#2 10.22.12 - 711 || beta#3 10.25.12 - 2608 DD born 6/27/13

bfp 7.16.14 | edd 3/27/15

beta#1 7.18.14 - 149 || beta#2 7.21.14 - ??

Re: low lying placenta

• Options

I had it with DD1 and now this one. In my opinion its not a HUGE deal because they told you it wasn't covering your cervix it was just near. And they are right-on average its moves up as your belly grows more.

Call the office if you are still concerned though but it will be ok :)

If its any silver lining to it all, you get another ultrasound at 28(?) weeks

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you for the response. I just tm my BFF's MIL who is a nurse at my ob's office. She said they'd talk to me at my next appt which is next friday...it takes two days to get the report. Blah...I hate PGAL brain. I am going for an ultrasound in 3 weeks...They didnt mention the 28wks just yet.

m/c 2002 7w2d

beta#1 10.18.12 - 96 / progestrone 32 || beta#2 10.22.12 - 711 || beta#3 10.25.12 - 2608 DD born 6/27/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday at my a/s scan. I have to go back at 32 weeks.They said it usually moves up by then. After doing a little research I found 9 out of 10 times in corrects itself. I am not worried about it, it should improve on its own. Do you have a follow up scan after 30 weeks?

I posted the same question yesterday. Check out the replies I got, nothing negative. Also, on the June 2013 board there are many replies to the same question.

Try not to be nervous, everything should be fine. :) 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I had it with my first and it wasn't a big deal at all. It was the same as yours ? close, but not touching my cervix. I went back four weeks later for a follow-up and it had moved. It typically moves upwards with your uterus as it grows.

I have never heard anything about a low-lying placenta not nourishing the baby as much. It's just the placement, so I don't see how it would matter.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was put on pelvic rest. My Dr. did not limit my walking, or any other light exercise. She said the only downside if it does not move up (which some may not think is a downside) is you will need a C-section. There was no mention about nourishment to the baby because of it. I have a follow up for that at 28 weeks. 

Try not to think too much about it - it's super common, and 98% of the time corrects itself on its own.  

• Options
    Thank you all for your input. It def eases my mind! :)

m/c 2002 7w2d

• Options
    I have a complete PP, which means the placenta was totally covering my cervix, at 17wks. By 20wks it had moved out of the way and isn't even partial anymore. I was terrified but so thankful that it had moved. With a partial you can still deliver vaginally as long as the bleeding isn't too bad and hopefully by then it's grown away from you cervix even more. Good luck!

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Options
    I was just told today that my placenta is too close to the cervix, <2cm. My OB said that 95% of the time that corrects itself. As the uterus grows so does the distance between the placenta and cervix. I'm not too worried.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've had a low lying placenta since 16 wks. They keep checking me to see if it has corrected itself. So far it hasn't. I'm 24 wks tomorrow. I have another US 28 wks. If it still hasn't corrected itself at that time my doc will give me my "restrictions". I'm just supposed to keep eye out for any bleeding episodes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They discovered this  for me a couple weeks ago.   I ended up having some spotting and they did an ultrasound to see what was going on. (The spotting was due to the placenta laying close to the cervix and was on the opposite side that it normally is there was a term they used but I cant remember it sorry, and was irritated during intercourse)  I was told that this will move up eventually and was placed on pelvic rest.  The baby was really healthy they said and was actually showing a week ahead now.  Everything has been good since then and I go for my next scan in about five weeks so we will see if it has moved up.  Try not to worry, as I have heard that it does normally correct itself.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"