Working Moms
Options

Need some advice

When DD was born, DH and I made the decision for me to stay home instead of going back to work. Financially, it wouldn't have made much of a difference and I really love spending more time with the baby. Now that I have more time to think, I'm realizing this is the perfect opportunity (that I never thought I would have) to finish my education and find a career that I really love. I can't wait to get started, which is what brings me to this board..

My questions are, how did you get into what you do? What do you feel like the best career decision you've made is? Any regrets? Any random advice?

TIA! =)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Need some advice

• Options

I picked my career (engineering) because I was good at math and science and I felt like it would be a stable career with numerous well-paying jobs available.  I was right.  I'm not rolling in it by any means, but I make decent money and have never been out of work for longer than a month.  I don't regret it... it was a very good choice for me.  I don't love what I do, but I like it well enough.  If I lost my job today, I'd have little trouble finding another.

My dream was to be a zookeeper, but there are few jobs available in that field, and the pay is terrible.  Even though I know I would have LOVED going to work in that field, I'm glad I didn't choose it.  

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I have my BA in Accounting and Finance.  I've always loved numbers and accounting seemed like the right fit for me.  I went into public accounting as an auditor straight out of college.  It was the best 4 years of my life.  I left public because I couldn't keep up the work and have a new baby.  I did but I would stay up for hours after DS went to bed just to get my work done.  

I left public accounting to work for one of my clients as their comptroller.  I absolutely love what I do and I seriously would be happy with staying in this position for the rest of my career. I won't do that because I'm so young but I am very happy and content.  I need to go back to school to get my masters and certificate if I want to advance.  It's a 2 year program.  I plan on starting it in a few months.  

If you have the opportunity to do what you love, do it.  No regrets! 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I stopped going to school at the end of my second year. I wasn't going for something that was a major interest to me and I began skipping class and I was wasting money so I stopped. I still have the job I did while I was going to school. I really wanted to go back and then I found out I was pregnant and just kept working. I'm in the same situation as you now. I work weekdays 4am-10am so I'm basically a SAHM. I'm home all day. I'm thinking of going to school online for something I really like and then starting my career. I make okay money but I want to make more than okay money!

I'd say my biggest regret was not taking college seriously fresh out of high school. I wish I would've finished. You've really motivated me to go back though with just this post!

Do you plan on going to a campus or doing online?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well I just picked a class I liked, knowing anything about it, never grew any plants in my life, and decided it would be a fun major. I figured I was expected to go to school so may as well do something fun and then just find some unrelated office job later. Ended up finding a job in the field through a teacher and its great. Probably not a good way to pick a career path though.
  • Options

How exciting for you!

I actually do a lot of work with high school students choosing colleges, majors and jobs. I think the best piece of advice about finding a career path is to think of something you truly enjoy doing - something you're really passionate about or interested in - and figure out how to make it a career. What do you LOVE to do? For some it's kids, animals, creating websites, working with numbers, talking to people, etc. 

It sounds corny, but it's a good way to start. Good luck!!!

Oh, and I have a BA in Psych and a Master's in Counseling. From the time I was in elementary school I knew I would do some sort of counseling because I loved talking to people, finding out more about them, what made them tick, what made them act the way they did, etc. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

well I think its different now- before you could get a BA or BS in regards to your interests and likes and probably get a job anywhere because you had a college degree- but now if you are going to spend the money for college I think it should be for something you can find a job for once you graduate-and hopefully still like.  Unless that wont be an issue for you and you can study something you are really interested in. 

I went to college right after high school so for me it was about the campus life, the "college experience",parties, and then school. If I went back for MA or MS it would be for something that could help our finances. 

I didnt get my BA in my dream job and I do regret that but I was young and I ended up getting it in a field I am good at and have kept a good work history- and good relationships with people in my field- so some regrets but still overall would not change my college experience for anything!  GO KENT STATE!  :)  

• Options

I am an engineer and like the PP I chose it because I enjoyed math and science.  I feel lucky/blessed that I choose early on a degree/career that I really love and good at.  It also turns out that the field also comes with a lot of flexibility such as WFH and PT work, which is an added bonus.

My older sister changed careers late in life.  Although she doesn't have kids yet, she started out taking some night classes in a field she was interested in.  She didn't want to make a full commitment to another degree unless she was 100% sure it was what she wanted to do.  She slowly transistioned to classes PT, eventually classes FT, and now works in that field.

I would also caution that a degree doesn't always equal a career.  With the prominence of the internet and social media, there have been tons of people who have started and succeeded with small businesses for their crafts, home improvement ideas, photography cooking blogs, etc.

Think about what you're passionate about, think of the steps to take to make it into a career, and don't be afraid to move slowly.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I'm a registered nurse with an A.S. degree. I originally wanted to be a veterinarian but thought it could be too sad for me. I then decided I wanted to be a physical therapist specializing in sports medicine. A college counselor convinced me to change my major saying I could earn more with less school requirement as an RN. Overall it's been good, I can do so many things and can find a job anywhere. I also make good money so I've been able to support my family when hubby lost his job. The industry is changing and even though I have 10 years experience I have to get my B.S. degree or won't be able to keep/get a job. If I could do things over I would have got my B.S. right away. I probably also would have chosen a different career that I would enjoy going to work every day. I always hear people who can turn a hobby into a career are the happiest. Sorry my response is so long.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am a special education teacher and I love what I do! I actually initially wanted to be an interpreter, I have a ba in French and Asian studies (Chinese). However, when I graduated my nephew was just diagnosed with autism. I became really interested in working with children with disabilities and after teaching a year of pre k I went back to school and have an m.s. in childhood and childhood special education. 

Teaching called to me because it is challenging, requires creativity, is steady, you get to work with kids, and has great hours for someone who wants to raise a family.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you so much for the comments! They definitely have me thinking. I prefer to take classes on campus, but I'm staying open to doing them online also. Like PP said, I don't think I was ready for college when I started and really made a mess of things. My family was going through a lot of grief during that time and I didn't think it would affect my grades, but it did.

Things are much better now; I'm married to a great guy and have a really good support system, so I think I'm finally ready tackle this! I'm taking the advice of going at a slow and steady pace, since I certainly don't want to screw my grades up again. As far as the relationship between education and actual career, I admit I'm still in the mindset of degree = job, which obviously isn't true. Thats making me rethink a few of my interests lol.

Again, thank you! I wasn't sure at first where to start, but you guys have given me a lot of ideas. =)  

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"