Cloth Diapering
Options

Another FTM feeling overwhelmed.

I really really really want to CD!!! We have slowly started building our stash starting about 6 weeks ago but have hit a rut in adding to it due to finances. Currently we have:

1 NB BumGenius AIO

1 NB cover

12 Sunbabies size 2 pockets (still waiting for them to arrive)

1 bumgenius OS AIO

1 OS cover

Thats it!! I was buying different sizes and brands to have a good range of choices. My mom has told us she will be buying us one year of Tidee Didee diaper services for a gift so that would take care of most of the prefolds however she's not the most reliable so I dont want to count on them. We had to dig into our maternity leave savings to fix the car (of course!!!) so now money will be even tighter for the 12 weeks I'm out of work. It's also a bit tight now (new tire and wheel payments! dang car!)

What would be the most cost efficient way of completing our stash to get me through my time off work? I'm not sure what size she will be in for the first 12 weeks of her life. Also are fitteds and contours always so spendy?? Seems like they cost a bit but I like them.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Another FTM feeling overwhelmed.

• Options

Honestly, if your mom is willing to spend the money on the diaper service for a whole year then just have her buy the dang prefolds and covers. She would save more money. I've found that diaper service is not that great and results in lots of stink issues and no control over how they are wahsed and what they use. Plus your planning on CDing at home anyways. Why waste all that for a service? It would cost your mom the same if not less to buy you 2 dozen newborn prefolds, 2 dozen infant prefolds, 5 Thirsties Duo size 1 covers, and a few Snappi's. That would easily last you till 15 pounds with some AIO's and pockets thrown in. Much better solution than the stupid service. I was so happy the day I got rid of mine. My house wasn't filled with chemical smelling stark white prefolds that I had to constantly keep track of.

As for the rest of the NB stash I wouldn't waste your money on BG NB AIO's, GRovia NB AIO's, or Lil Joeys. They kind of suck and do not last long. Little man is a month old and is already out of all three of those types. I would look into Kawaii Pure and Naturals, Swaddlebee Simplex NB, and Blueberry Deluxe Mini Pockets. Those seem tobe the best for that newborn to OS stage. GL!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I'm completely new to all of this so I'm unfamiliar with all the different brands. I try to use the boards FAQ to see what's okay and not.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like what the PP said about having your mom buy prefolds and covers.  Thats def the most economical and the fit is good when they're tiny.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I totall agree with PPs about having your mom (or you) just buy prefolds and covers.  That's what you'd get with a diaper service anyway. 

If you want something else to round out your stash consider getting some Kawaii Pure and Naturals or a few of NB AIOs used that you can then re-sell for close to or even the same as what you paid for them. My LO only wore NB sizes for about 5 weeks.

image imageimageimage

• Options

Agreed, see if your mom will splurge for some prefolds and covers.  Even if she just buys the newborn sized ones to start you out for the first few weeks.

I would also check craigs list and see if you can find prefolds.  A good quality prefold will last through years of use.  And newborn ones tend to only get used for a few weeks.  They may not be much cheaper but used ones don't need any prep work.

Also, make sure you have 1-2 wetbags or pail liners.  Or something to store the diapers in.  You don't need a fancy diaper can.  A bucket will work in a pinch.

• Options
    Start with the prefolds and covers, you will have plenty of time to expand beyond that when/if you ever decide to.  The Sunbaby diapers won't fit for a while, same with any of the OS. 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"