Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

breasmilk jaundice/ pumping question

DS is 1mo old today. I noticed over the past 2 days his jaundice returned. I called the pedi and they checked his bili. It was elevated. The Dr. said it was probably due to my breastmilk. It's not quite the same as the jaundice he had right after birth. I have to stop breastfeeding for 48 hrs and then we will re-check his bili levels in 5 days. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, should I be pumping only during the times he should be feeding? How long do you suggest I pump?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: breasmilk jaundice/ pumping question

• Options
    DD was born 6 wks preemie and had jaundice at birth and breast milk jaundice later. We never quit breastfeeding. Her levels gradually went down bit by bit over six weeks or so after fluctuating up and down a couple points. If anything, you should feed more often to help the milk move through the digestive system to produce more dirty diapers which will help the body rid itself of the biliruben quicker. But I do not think you should stop breastfeeding. If it is that important to you, ask about it. My doctor didn't want us to quit breast feeding. He said the benefits were too great and we just kept testing DD's levels. If the levels are high enough, your doctor can use phototherapy instead. 

CafeMom Tickers

imageCafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I already feed him every 2 hrs or so. I am not stopping completely, just 2 days until his levels go down.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Here is some good info on breastmilk jaundice.  If it were me, I wouldn't stop breastfeeding even it it were only for 2 days unless there were other signs that my baby was not doing well.

https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-B-J

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with PP. 

If you are going to go ahead and stop, then yes, pump when LO eats. Pump for 5-10 minutes after the last of the milk comes out; it'll encourage milk production.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    I agree with pp about not stopping the breastfeeding, but as has been said pump when LO eats or every 2 hours for at least 15 minutes plus a few minutes after your milk stops flowing to encourage milk production. DS had jaundice & then developed breastmilk jaundice as well. I just kept feeding him breastmilk & it slowly went away on its own. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also wouldn't stop breastfeeding him, just supplement.  When my son had jaundice I was supposed to nurse as much as possible and then offer him formula too at every feeding if he'd take any. That sounds odd to be told to stop nursing.  That's the best food for your baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"