December 2011 Moms

Bedtime Routine Question

Do you and DH play the same role in bedtime routine every night? We do and tonight I switched it up because I think DH should be able to actually put him down too and DS did fine, but just got me wondering if you just keep the routine itself the same or if you play the same role in that routine every night.

Our routine is bath (DH gets him nakey while I get the bath and his bedtime bottle ready and then I give the actual bath), brush teeth (which is a nightmare), both of us dry him off and get him into jammies, he sits with me in the rocker and drinks his bottle while DH reads him one random story and then On the Night You Were Born every night, turn off light, DH leaves, give paci and I lie him down and stay in room until he's out. Tonight I had DH stay in the room with him was the change. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Bedtime Routine Question

• We follow the same basic routine but it doesn't really matter to us who does what.  After dinner we usually give Eli a bath.  After he's in his pajamas, either I'll nurse him or DH will give him a bottle.  The only real role we have is that DH likes to be the one to read Eli bedtime stories.  Then we sing lullabies and put him to bed.

I guess I wouldn't focus too much on each parent having specific roles because I like the flexibility of only one of us (or someone else) having the ability to put him to bed.  I think as long as the routine itself remains the same, the roles don't matter too much. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband plays with her after dinner. Then I take care of bed time bath, lotion, pjs. She spends more time with daddystories. Then I ask if she is ready for night snuggles. She waves bye and kisses daddy and then we have a snuggle/nurse/bottle of milk to sleep. My husband brings more milk if needed. I doubt she would go down for him but we've never tried.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Since DH is usually the one who cooks and I usually put the kids to sleep.  He'll do it some nights, but last night he read to DS but didn't do any of the things I've been doing every single night - forgot to brush his teeth, didn't give him his blankie and snuggie bear toy or turn on his mobile.  DS was crying a few minutes after DH put him down, I went in, turned on the mobile, gave him his blankie and bear and he was all good after that.  So DS definitely knows his own routine :)

• My husband and I share different roles in the bedtime routine every night. My husband works evenings several nights a week so on those nights I do everything myself. When he's home, we switch it up with who does the bath, story, brushing teeth, jammies, story, etc depending on how the night is going. Sometimes we do it together and other times one of us is with the baby and the other is cooking dinner. I guess it's good that LO can handle either of us doing the routine and is not dependent on one of us to always do a certain part.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We don't switch up our roles at bed time that much.  Our routine is that DH strips DS while I run the bath.  I give DS his bath and dress him in his PJ's, then DH and I work together to get his teeth brushed.  DH reads DS his story, kisses him goodnight, and then hands him to me for milk (this will have to change soon since I'm trying to wean him).  Then I put him in his crib, kiss him goodnight, and leave the room.

DS does pretty well with bedtime these days (this was not always true) and even goes down without too much of a fight on the rare occasion that we have a sitter.  If we're trying to put him to bed somewhere other than home, though, he's a regular beast.  He likes his own bed. 

OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"