Stay at Home Moms

Sloppy Joe recipe w/o ketchup

Does anyone know of a sloppy joe recipe that doesn't include ketchup?  

I'm tempted to just wing it with tomato sauce and spices.   

My extremely picky 8 year old would be very grateful to you for any recommendations.   

ETA:  I usually make them with ketchup and she just has to deal with it, but I thought I'd try to find something she'd like tonight. 

Re: Sloppy Joe recipe w/o ketchup

• We make ours with tomato sauce, a 12 oz. can of chili sauce, and a little brown sugar in the crock pot. 
  • Even if you don't use ketchup, they still end up tasting like they have ketchup in there.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKateMW:
    Even if you don't use ketchup, they still end up tasting like they have ketchup in there.

I know.  There's something about ketchup she doesn't like.  She'll eat tomato sauce but not ketchup.  I'm going to see if I try something different I can get her to eat it.  If not, she'll just have to deal with it.  Worth a try.

•  Yes, she will know.  You cannot hide any food from this child.  I swear she is a super taster.  Even if she doesn't see it go in, she can tell it's in there.   

• imagescorpio72:

Yes, she will know.  You cannot hide any food from this child.  I swear she is a super taster.  Even if she doesn't see it go in, she can tell it's in there.   

LOL I can't imagine not like ketchup but being OK with tomato sauce, etc. It's like the same thing. 

• I want sloppy joes.

• imageKateMW:
    imagescorpio72:

Yes, she will know.  You cannot hide any food from this child.  I swear she is a super taster.  Even if she doesn't see it go in, she can tell it's in there.   

LOL I can't imagine not like ketchup but being OK with tomato sauce, etc. It's like the same thing. 

different taste even if ingredients are similar. I love tomato sauce, dislike ketchup.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use a can of tomato soup (just what's in the can- not made into the soup). Then I add various seasonings depending on my mood. (minced onion/garlic, pepper, worchester sauce, cumin, hot sauce, etc...)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKitten80:
    imageKateMW:
    imagescorpio72:

different taste even if ingredients are similar. I love tomato sauce, dislike ketchup.

And I understand that, but in sloppy joes, when you're putting all the same spices...I'm impressed she can taste the difference. 

• imageKateMW:
    imageKitten80:
    imageKateMW:
    imagescorpio72:

And I understand that, but in sloppy joes, when you're putting all the same spices...I'm impressed she can taste the difference. 

I honestly think she is a super taster where she has more taste buds than the average person.   She's always been able to taste hidden food. She also doesn't like lots of things kids usually like (ice cream, French fries, peanut butter). 

I ende up using a recipe I had and just put tomato sauce in place of ketchup. She ate the whole thing.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"