Stay at Home Moms
Options

Sugar & potty training

If you strictly limit sugar, what did you use as a reinforcement for potty training? Were your kids motivated by fruits they had all the time? Or stickers?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Sugar & potty training

• Options
    We used stickers. Lydia freaking LOVES them!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had no shame. DS1 got jellybeans for pee, Peeps for poop. It was fabulous.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We used stickers as well.

also, we potty trained DS just after last Christmas. My brother got him a big construction digger toy. We put that toy aside and that was his big prize for FINALLY pooping in the potty!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We used a sticker chart with rewards after she earned a set number of stickers. Some of the rewards were treats (going out for an ice cream cone) and some were activities (picnic lunch and extra time to play at her favorite park).
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We did the three day potty training method with my 22 month old and it was a huge success. She encourages you to find a method of positive reinforcement so we started with giving her a fruit snack for going potty. That was a HUGE mistake for us because she was way too smart for that. Next thing I knew she was yelling "Potty, potty, potty!" during lunch because she would rather have a treat than what she was eating. At that point we switched to stickers which worked ok, but honestly the best thing for her is just hearing is say "good job!" and clapping. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I started with stickers, but she lost interest really fast. Then I went to giving her an M&m for going, immediate success. She got 1 candy for pee, 3 for poop. It took awhile for poop, lol. Now she gets 1 candy for going potty and when this bag is gone she won't get any more. The candy was a reward and used as such. It was exciting because she does not get candy often. 
  • Options

We used a sticker chart and little animal figurines as the rewards for so many stickers.

He got a left over Christmas present for the first time he pooped and after 4 days he didn't need the rewards at all.  If he still needed the reinforcement we would have continued with stickers and dollar store toys.

I would not use food as a reward for DS2 either. 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We used stickers for the most part but when he wouldn't poop we put the DVD toy story 3 where he could see it and told him when he pooped in the potty he could watch it.
  • Options
    Jelly beans, MMs, and stickers.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

imagenyki06:
    We did the three day potty training method with my 22 month old and it was a huge success. She encourages you to find a method of positive reinforcement so we started with giving her a fruit snack for going potty. That was a HUGE mistake for us because she was way too smart for that. Next thing I knew she was yelling "Potty, potty, potty!" during lunch because she would rather have a treat than what she was eating. At that point we switched to stickers which worked ok, but honestly the best thing for her is just hearing is say "good job!" and clapping. 

Yep, treats worked for a very short time. The thing that really encouraged DD1 was getting crazy excited when she used the potty and treating accidents as no big deal. I don't think we're going to use snacks for DD2 at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    I used stickers. Not because I wanted to avoid sugar but for some reason the association of going to the bathroom with food makes me gag lol!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"