Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Talk to Us About Your Body After Baby!

We want to hear from new mom Bumpies about how your body has changed (physically and mentally) since welcoming your baby!- Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?
- Are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth?
- How does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body?
- Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?

The more specific you are with your answers, the better! We want to hear it all? Post here or email us at community@thebump.com.Thanks! Bump Liz
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to Us About Your Body After Baby!

• - do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body? I feel like a complete stranger in my own body!

- are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth? Not really, I had a c-section. I am amazed at how much your body stretches in that process!

- how does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? I don't like my post baby body. I am having a really hard time accepting it.

- are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally? I'm doing both. I'm not really being pro active on losing the weight, but also trying to eat better to be more healthy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• I pretty much feel the same as I did but I am pretty amazed at myself and body during the birthing process. I wanted to go au-natural but am kind of a sissy with a very low pain tolerance but was able to do it. I am not sure how, I think I was just "in the zone". My post-baby body is pretty well the same as pre-baby, just a little "bouncier" in the midsection from all that stretching and muscles not built back up yet. As for the weight-I lost alot of weight while being pregnant d/t extreme morning sickness so I was pre-preg wt before I left the hospital, the challenge now is toning everything back up and I am kind of just taking it slow, no extreme workouts yet.

• Loading the player...
  • -do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?

I feel proud and happy with most of my body.  I gained a lot with my first son & continued to gain after he was born.  On his 3rd birthday I decided it was time to start thinking about my health.  I worked hard and lost 50lbs, eventually weighing less than I did when I first got pregnant with him.  With this baby I ate healthy and worked out the entire pregnancy.  (I walked 4 miles the day before he was born.) I lost all but 5lbs of what I gained by 2 weeks post-partum.  I'm really proud that I stuck with my exercise and eating plan and had what I think was an easier birth and recovery because of that.  The only thing that I'm not 100% happy about is my breats.  I'm breastfeeding, and that part of my body does feel odd and uncomfortable to me right now.  Mostly because I'm 2 cup sizes bigger than I've ever been in my life, but that feeling is worth it to feed my baby what mother nature intended.

- are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth? Yes! I wanted to try to go pain-med free, but wasn't sure if I could do it.  My first real contraction happened at 11PM.  I gave birth at 2:55am with no pain meds.  It was back-labor the whole time, but my body knew what to do & how to turn baby at the right time.  I got up and walked to give baby his first bath at 7am.  I could never have done that 4 hours after my first birth when I had an epidural.
    - how does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? My stomach is a little "squishier" than before, and as I mentioned about my breasts are bigger.  Otherwise I think I actually have more muscle definition in my legs and arms from carrying around that baby weight for 9 months.
    - are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally? Most of it came off naturally by 2 weeks post-partum.  The last bit I'm going to just let happen when it does.  I eat well and exercise, but I'm not willing to risk my milk supply by dieting until little one is ready to wean.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

•  do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body? I do feel stronger, it is amazing what your body can do.
    - are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth?  It is pretty awesome hold your baby for the first time, it is overwhelming in fact.  It doesnt seem possible that a complete perfect little baby cam from inside MY body!
    - how does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? I am actually amazed at how similar I look.  I lost all of my baby weight in 14 days, and was back to wearing my pre-preg clothes in about 8 weeks.
    - are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?  Just working on the pre-baby fat now, but some of the urgency is gone.  I am happy with a pound per week, in the past I would have found that to be way to slow.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• We want to hear from new mom Bumpies about how your body has changed (physically and mentally) since welcoming your baby! - do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body? Stranger in my own body...
    - are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth? A little... my epidural gave out twice, and I am pretty sure my baby would have never made it out if they hadn't been able to fix it. When I was first starting to push, my epidural wasn't working, I couldn't get a good strong push to save my life when I was in that much pain... I don't know how people are able to push through that???
    - how does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? There is no comparison. I have a bit of a "pooch" and extra skin just hanging there now... its a bummer. None of my clothes fit, but I refuse to buy clothes that fit me like this. I can get my pants on, I just can't button any of them. I am also breast feeding, so my boobs are bigger, but when they are freshly emptied, they are a bit saggy... I hope that doesn't stay either.
    - are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally? I am trying to be patient and let it happen naturally. I do some working out here and there, but nothing too serious yet. I really think my biggest problem is just extra skin that needs time to go back to shape. I don't think it is all just "extra weight" on me.

• imageBump Liz:
    We want to hear from new mom Bumpies about how your body has changed (physically and mentally) since welcoming your baby!- Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?
    I feel like a stranger in my own body now. I feel like I have a "mom" body now: no more being a skinny, "perfect sized" teenager. My brother told me I look more like an adult now though, since I have gained weight. I was actually a bit underweight growing up, and now I'm at the perfect weight for my body size and type.
    I wouldn't say amazed. Maybe shocked that I could do it (I was really thin when I got pregnant, and I had a 7 pound 12 ounce baby, which was very unexpected, as I measured smaller throughout my entire pregnancy). It was the hardest thing I've ever done physically though. When I was pushing, I felt like I was going to die I was pushing so hard (sorry might be TMI). I think I was more amazed at the fact that I had the endurance to keep going, and not beg for a C-section. When they plopped my baby on me, I cried because I was so relieved that I was done with labor and delivery, and that I was finally a mom. I think I was also amazed that I got to 7 cm without an epidural, and I was coerced into that epidural (I went into labor 9 days early, and I hadn't set my birth plan in stone, but I had wanted to go naturally, but I still wasn't sure). I was really bummed that I got it, but I have been telling myself that a lot of women don't wait to get an epidural, and I actually tried to go naturally at first. Next time I have a baby, the anesthesiologist will not be allowed in my room at all (he's the one who pushed the epidural). Next time, I will also be voicing what I want and don't want as far as my labor and delivery go.
    I have stretch marks on my love handles. I didn't have those love handles before I got pregnant. I also have stretch marks on my breasts and right above my butt crack, in a "V" shape (it sort of looks like a "tramp stamp" haha). My belly is also really flabby, and my breasts are still pretty big (I was hardly a 32A before getting pregnant; I am now a size 36D!). My feet are actually wider! I thought that was a myth, but I proved myself wrong!- Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?
    Since I had my baby in the fall, it's too cold to go outside to work anything off right now. I have shed quite a bit of weight, but I'd like to tone everything up when spring and summer roll around eventually. If I had had a spring/summer baby, I would have been out working it off faster.
    The more specific you are with your answers, the better! We want to hear it all? Post here or email us at community@thebump.com.Thanks! Bump Liz
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?  I feel accomplished.  I wanted to have a med-free, natural childbirth because I felt it was best.  I set a goal, prepared as best as I could, put trust in myself ...and I was able to do it.

- Are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth?  I had a med-free, uncomplicated birth.  I had prepared physically by keeping fit, doing yoga and visitng a chiropractor.  And I had prepared mentally by taking hypnobirthing classes and reading as much as I could about natural childbirth.  I feel that because I had complete trust in my body and I did everything I could to prepare physically, I was able to have a realitively easy birthing experience.  Everything happened for me as I expected it would!  So, I thnk I am more amazed that my body created this perfect, tiny little human!

- How does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body?  My mid-section is not as firm.  I don't have near the physical endurance for sports that I had before pregnancy.  And "down there" has definitely changed.   But, because I ate healthier and kept up with moderate exercise, I look slimmer now than I did before I was pregnant.

- Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?  I lost my baby weight naturally very fast.  I was down 20lbs within the first two weeks and am under my pre-pregnancy weight at 3 months.   I haven't changed anything...I eat fairly healthy and I exercise. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body? I feel empowered. After going through the process naturally (not by choice), and dealing with postpartum complications, I feel like I can take on anything. It's amazing what a woman's body goes through.

Are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth? Yes, see above.

How does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? I JUST got back down to my pre-baby body weight and it took 16 weeks after he was born. Though the numbers are still the same, I have less muscle tone and it's distributed differently. My arms are skinnier, but my stomach is flabbier. I fit into my pre-baby clothes, but would like to get fit again.

Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally? Both - I wanted it to shed fast, though I had no choice but to let it happen naturally. It's hard to find that same kind of time to dedicate to the gym.

• - Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?

I do sort of feel like a stranger in my own body right now, but I'm sure that will change. Either that, or I'll get used to it.

Definitely. I had plans to go without any drugs. Not really plans, just hoped to. It was hard, but I did it and I am very proud of myself. I wouldn't have considered myself weak if I did take drugs, but it was just my personal preference not to. it's also amazing how quickly you forget the pain 

I've never really had a great body, I was in decent shape after working out for my wedding in 2011, but I love food too much to ever have anything close to a model's body. I am definitely less toned, which I'll work on. My tummy is definitely much softer. 

I gained about 28lbs, and baby ended up being 8lbs 9oz, so I walked out of the hospital already down 15lbs. I have tried walking more and doing yoga, but with the colder weather it's been hard. I have about 7lbs to get to prebaby weight, but a total of 15 I'd still like to lose. I've been enjoying my freetime with my babe, but come spring I will strap him in the jogging stroller and try to get back in shape.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • - Do you feel stronger, more empowered?  Or are you a stranger in your own body?  Not like a stranger, but like my body failed me.  I spent months preparing for a natural, med-free birth and ended up having a C-section because baby was breech.  It was really disappointing for me and the after-effects of the C-section (nerve pain, numbness) were pretty bad.

- Are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth?  Nope.  I'm hoping I get another chance to actually give birth, as opposed to feeling like my baby's birth was something that happened to me.

- How does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body?  Pretty much the same, only my ribcage/bra band size is larger.  All the old clothes fit though!

- Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?  The first 25 pounds happened naturally in the first 6 weeks.  The last 10 took 3 more weeks of disciplined dieting and exercise.  Then I lost 10 more after that on the same plan :) 

Anniversary 
  • - Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?

I feel like a complete stranger in a foreign land.  I have a lot more "mommy" instincts than I thought.  And I can run on very little sleep (though not far & not very quickly).

I am amazed that I grew a human.  How is that not amazing!  The whole birthing process is something that has to be experienced because it can not be described accurately.

I'm still a little heavier (7 lbs.) , a lot squishier in the stomach and my boobs have all but disappeared. Nothing fits like it used to.  Guess it's time to go shopping.

It will have to happen naturally.  I so do not have time for the gym.

imageimage 

• - Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?I wouldn't say that. I'm not a stranger, but I don't think I realized how much my pregnant body was slowing me down until my recovery was over. I have a lot more energy and I'm much more flexible. My feet don't hurt after walking 10 feet either, which is always a bonus. As far as strength and empowerment, I love that I had an easy pregnancy. Not that I like to hold it over people who didn't, it just makes me love my body and appreciate that it was willing to give me an easy ride.

Yes and no. When I had to have my c-section and I realized (mostly after it was over) what had happened and that I would have been a mortality statistic only a couple of decades ago, I was astonished. At the same time, I went through all of that without any meds until they gave me the spinal on the operating table. I knew I had a high pain tolerance, but the look on the face of my anesthesiologist and OB when they found out I hadn't had any meds going through that was priceless, surprising, and felt like a little pat on the back.

Both better and worse. Weight-wise I'm actually much lighter than I was pre-pregnancy, and I feel great. That said, I have more really awful stretchmarks on my belly than I really feel is fair and my belly skin is really loose and squishy in a way that makes me self-conscious. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pull off a bikini again, but I'm only six months postpartum, so maybe my expectations are a little high.

I came home from the hospital lighter than I was before I got pregnant. I've always been a healthy eater, but the last couple of years I've had a very busy, sedentary lifestyle that led to a lot of weight gain. With my BMI as high as it was, I gained only the amount of weight recommended (about 18 lbs.) by eating healthy and doing some light exercise while pregnant. My baby weighed over 9 lbs and I came home in better shape than I went in. Then I breastfed and continued to lose. At my six week postpartum appointment I had lost 20 additional pounds on top of my baby weight. The loss has started to level off, but now that baby is starting to get into a routine, I'm adding some exercise and hope to be at my ideal weight eventually. I'm not going to stress about it, I'm doing great, but I want to be in better shape for chasing her around in a few months. Who knew my healthiest self would begin with a baby?

• Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body? For some strange reason, I feel less self-conscious. Not that I don't care about getting back to my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm just not as obsessed as I was before.

Are you amazed at what your body was able to do giving birth? Had a C- section so ....
    - How does your post-baby body compare to your pre-baby body? I'm 15 lbs heavier so not to different I would say just more giggly in my belly hahaha
    - Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally? starting to run now but not dieting

The more specific you are with your answers, the better! We want to hear it all? Post here or email us at community@thebump.com.

Thanks!

•  Do you feel stronger, more empowered? Or are you a stranger in your own body?

There are things going on with my body that I don't even know. In the morning my feet swell and hurt now, my gums are bleeding, and stuff "downstairs" is not the same.

I got stretch marks! I used oil, lotion and butter everyday and 3 weeks before she came I saw marks :( SUCK!

Are you trying to shed the baby weight ASAP or letting it happen naturally?

The majority came off naturally. I still have about 5-10 pounds that is hanging around. With work starting again I haven't had the time to workout.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"