Baby Showers

is this ok?

Hey ladies. OK so my friend graciously offered to host my baby shower March 16th. I am due April 16th. I thought this might be too close to my due date? WDYT? I have been really STRESSED about baby gear like, what to get what i should wait for yadayada. She cant do it in feb at all and i just feel like March 16th is too close to the due date especially since i hear baby can come two weeks early if its your first. i dont know. Thoughts? TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: is this ok?

• I don't think it's a big deal.  I would make sure that you have any "must have" items (like the car seat and crib) beforehand.  It really doesn't take more than an afternoon to run to BRU and make exchanges and pick up any items left from your registry that you need.  If you go home and unpack after your shower and do your shopping the following weekend, you should be ready in plenty of time for baby.

FWIW, first time moms usually deliver late, not early. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my shower at 36 weeks, and I still had too much time on my hands. You sit there and eat cake and open gifts. It isn't stressful. You take one afternoon afterwards, and exchange anything you don't want, buy whatever else you need. One afternoon to wash, fold, put away some baby clothes. You're done. Also, FTMs are way more likely to go late than early. And, even if you did go 2 weeks early, you still have 2 weeks in between the shower and delivering. You'll be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • image1026pumpkin:

I don't think it's a big deal.  I would make sure that you have any "must have" items (like the car seat and crib) beforehand.  It really doesn't take more than an afternoon to run to BRU and make exchanges and pick up any items left from your registry that you need.  If you go home and unpack after your shower and do your shopping the following weekend, you should be ready in plenty of time for baby.

This, word for word.

OP, I think I read somewhere the average FTM delivers @ 41 weeks.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Babies don't need everything all set up and have a ton of gear at first.  They need a carseat, some diapers, a couple of outfits, food, and a place to sleep.  It's a 30 minute trip to Babies R Us.  You're overthinking this...big time.

Incidentally, I had my shower on September 24, my daughter was born October 27, and it felt like it had been a lifetime since the shower when she was born.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's fine. DS came 2 weeks after my shower. I had everything all done and set up. NBD. 
  • imageCranang:

Babies don't need everything all set up and have a ton of gear at first.  They need a carseat, some diapers, a couple of outfits, food, and a place to sleep.  It's a 30 minute trip to Babies R Us.  You're overthinking this...big time.

I agree with this completely.  My friends didn't buy a crib for their son until he was nearly 6 months old, he went from a bassinet to their bed because she was EBFing and found it easiest to have him right there.  It's a luxury to have every little thing you want all set up by the baby's birth, it's not necessary.

• It seems fine to me.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image1026pumpkin:

I don't think it's a big deal.  I would make sure that you have any "must have" items (like the car seat and crib) beforehand.  It really doesn't take more than an afternoon to run to BRU and make exchanges and pick up any items left from your registry that you need.  If you go home and unpack after your shower and do your shopping the following weekend, you should be ready in plenty of time for baby.

I agree.  I had showers at 36, 37, and at 38 weeks and my DD came 1 day early.  Everything was set-up and washed.

Most likely, if someone is going to get you something big like the crib it will most likely be your mom or MIL or possibly sisters going in-together.  If they know you are stressed about this hopefully they would let you KNOW what they are getting you and give it to you early so it could already be done.  Not like they would bring a crib, changing table, dresser, glider, etc. to the shower anyway.  I know my family and friends and know they don't get really big things (the biggest was my breast pump) so we bought the crib and other furniture.  You could buy what is absolutely necessary and if you get it for your shower then return what you bought.  Most places give you a long time for exchanges/returns.

• Yeah, I had a small shower at 39 weeks and then again 7 weeks post pregnancy.

I never did understand why there's always a rush to have a shower.

Of course, I didn't expect anybody to buy anything I needed or or particularly wanted. I did that myself. I got a bunch of nice extras.
  • What everyone else said. Also, my LO was born at 40w5d. Most FTM go late, not early.
  • My big family shower was last week at 35 weeks and this Friday is my work shower, almost 37 weeks and I still feel like I have forever until LO arrives. The only reason we chose the date we did was because of my sisters work schedule, things take a small dip in business so it was easier for her. Otherwise we may have waited a week or two more. After my shower I sat down and wrote out the thank you notes I like to do it while events and conversations are fresh in my mind and then the next day we organized the gifts and made a trip to both BRU and target. I didn't har a bunch that needed returned, we got a double of one item from target and a really nice set of cloth diapers from BRU but I have no intention to clothe diaper and my super crunchy cousin has been trying to push it on me. After my shower on Friday we will go pick up whatever else is on our registry and be done. Ill probably also do some laundry...but it's not going to take weeks just a Saturday afternoon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"