Natural Birth

Water Birth in Rhode Island??

I have been trying to research where actual water births can occur in Rhode Island, other than at home, and midwives that are experienced with water births. The only midwife I have come up with is Kathy Tirrell and Newport Hospital. Does anyone have any other information??

Re: Water Birth in Rhode Island??

• The Rhode Island Birth Network provides the best list of hospitals and providers I've come across.

The options for waterbirth are Newport and Memorial (but I think you have to provide your own tub at Memorial). W&I has tubs but I'm not sure if they allow you to only labor or also birth in them. You could also call around ask other hospitals if you had one in mind if you want to bring your own tub - I know Kent is making a lot of changes and working towards Baby Friendly certification right now. 

https://www.ribirth.net/rhodeislandhospitals.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • imageandrea ri 80:
    imageAmyRI:

The Rhode Island Birth Network provides the best list of hospitals and providers I've come across.

The options for waterbirth are Newport and Memorial (but I think you have to provide your own tub at Memorial). W&I has tubs but I'm not sure if they allow you to only labor or also birth in them. You could also call around ask other hospitals if you had one in mind if you want to bring your own tub - I know Kent is making a lot of changes and working towards Baby Friendly certification right now. 

https://www.ribirth.net/rhodeislandhospitals.html

The alternative birth center at W&I has a tub for labor only, not delivery.  Also, I hear that there's only one room with a tub, if its occupied, the other rooms have showers only. 

When I delivered at W&I in 2010, this was definitely the case.  I also recall that the shower in the ABC did not work at the time (I'm sure it was fixed), and that I never ended up in the tub because the water was an odd color and wouldn't warm up.  I have heard a lot of good things about Memorial, and plan on delivering there if we decide to have another. 

• Technically you're able to water birth at Newport Hospital but my doula and a couple friends in the birth industry advised me against going there. Its in the hospital policy but apparently that doesn't mean the doctor actually follows through. I think their phrase "saying one thing but doing another" was what was said about that. 

Memorial is a no go because they merged with Care New England which halted the approval of the water birth policy revision. Last I heard (about a month ago) it Weill be reexamined in the fall of 2013. I have heard of a couple oopsie water births at Memorial but they aren't technically allowed and no doctor or midwife will admit if they allowed it tho happen.

There is a labor tub at Women & Infants in the ABC but no delivery is allowed. The same is true for the big room at Memorial.  Memorial also allows you to bring in your own labor tub in the event the big room is occupied, but you would have to purchases and set city bump yourself. The team that rents them is no longer doing so at hospitals. 

Home birth is an option if you really want water and Mary Mumford-Haley is a fantastic midwife. I saw her for most of my first pregnancy and really liked her. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry about the typos! I'm on a tablet and completely forgot to proof read. 

Full disclosure; I gave birth at Memorial last time and will be having this baby there as well. Water birth or not, they offered the most natural birth options for care givers and nursing staff. The lack of a triage ward and the humanized care they provide really made me feel comfortable and relaxed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"