September 2013 Moms

Holy prenatal Batman

My OB prescribed my vitamins and I went in to have them filled today. $60 was my total. Are you kidding me? I can buy the same thing OTC for 15 bucks. I said thanks but no thanks....

i don't remember what I took with the girls but I know it wasn't $60. What are you taking?  

4 m/c between 2007-2012 Twin girls born 15 weeks premature on 8.17.10 BFP 1.24.13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Holy prenatal Batman

• I just take the cheap brand at Walmart.  It is like $12 for a 120 day supply.
    photo b968ca6b-5a0b-49a1-93ac-7776aa6ee34b.jpg
    *Parker Ryan*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've got Nature Made prenatals with DHA.  They're pretty big and taste/smell terrible.  I take them at night and haven't felt nauseous, I also don't have m/s so I may just be escaping that knock on wood.
  • Loading the player...
  • I take gummies. I was able to buy a 90 day supply for around 10.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whoa!! That's silly. All prenatals have to follow the FDA guidelines, so they are all pretty much the same. I take Rainbow Light Prenatal One. They are $20 for 150 pills on Amazon. They don't bother my stomach at all like some I've tried, so I go with these.
    DH and I are both 25
    Married 8/18/12
    Baby Jack's EDD is 9/18/13
    photo 229108e9-b31e-41b9-80f6-d27bce908989_zpsa243562b.jpg

• Vitafusion gummies here.  I actually look forward to going home & taking my PNV's, it's like a little mini treat.
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I had my gyno call in prenate essential cause I remember loving them when I tried vitamins prior to TTC. They had a candy vanilla flavored coating and were soft and not too big. Something changed. They are now dark green, horrible smell and bad flavor and not soft and squishy but almost like hard plastic and huge! The copay was 40. That'll be my last month on prescription PNV. I take my one a day petites which are actually 2 a day, separate calcium and folic acid and flax seed oil. With coupons I'm still probably paying less than 0.50 a day on vitamins.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • imageTally879:
    I've got Nature Made prenatals with DHA.  They're pretty big and taste/smell terrible.  I take them at night and haven't felt nauseous, I also don't have m/s so I may just be escaping that knock on wood.

These are what I take- they are one a day and the 90 count bottle is about $12-15 at Costco depending if you hit one of the sales or not.  Totally agree with taking them before bed.

My OB told me with DS#1 that there was no reason to take prescription prenatals unless I was having a very hard time tolerating OTCs or ended up needing an extra supplement, which I didn't.  She also said some people have insurance that covers them 100% or with a very small co-pay, which could make them cheaper, but not the case for me. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Ask your doctor/pharmacist to switch you to a generic brand that will be cheaper

2. Switch pharmacies!  Plenty of pharmacies like Walmart, Kroger, and Giant Eagle have programs where certain prescriptions are only $4 for a month supply. I go to a Kroger pharmacy and get my prenatals for $4 for 30 pills.

Although after doing the math getting an OTC (especially on sale) can be cheaper per pill.

• imagedirey25:
    Vitafusion gummies here. nbsp;I actually look forward to going home amp; taking my PNV's, it's like a little mini treat.

This is me too!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Gummies sound good! 
    4 m/c between 2007-2012 Twin girls born 15 weeks premature on 8.17.10 BFP 1.24.13 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I have been taking the target brand prenatals since I was PG with DS.
  • imagedirey25:
    Vitafusion gummies here. nbsp;I actually look forward to going home amp; taking my PNV's, it's like a little mini treat.

This for me too!
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • We get free ones at a couple different pharmacies as long as a dr prescribes them.  $60 seems like a LOT.

• I just take the target brand prenatal and fish oil. There is no need to spend 60 that is crazy!

• I take Rainbow Light Prenatal One and Earth Fare brand fish oil.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mine our prescription: Concept OB. Small, easy to take and don't upset my stomach so they're a win in my book! Can't remember price but no more than $20 for a month. Cheaper than my birth control pills! lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy Batman is right!!! I paid 3.97 for my otc pnvs that's for 120 pills so it equals out to 1.32 a month for my pnv
  • I take the gummies now and will switch to Rainbow Light prenatals once I'm out of first tri and not so queasy. I like them a lot for the ingredients, but they are bigger and I can't handle swallowing them right now. The gummies taste good but have no iron.
    ETA both are between 1015 depending on where I buy them. No way would I spend sixty bucks on prenatals!
    DS-"Sprocket" born 3.27.11 Baby #2- due 9.10.13 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow! That's ridiculous!

• I'm taking brain strong only 20 for a month.
  • I'm taking CVS brand. It's a 30 day supply and has two bottles in a pack - the prenatals and then a separate DHA. It says "compare to One-a-DayPrenatal". My doc said they were fine. 

I think I pay around $15. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I'm taking the One A Day Prenatals, with DHA.

They were $11 for  for a 30 day supply from our Giant grocery store.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I take Trader Joe's brand they are tolerated well. I think it was $13 for 60 or 120 quantity

loss 8weeks 2/14/13
  • Mine were $60 the first time, too.  However, we have a $50 prescription deductible.  Maybe you do too?  I expect mine to be much less expensive this month.  
  • imageTally879:
    I've got Nature Made prenatals with DHA.  They're pretty big and taste/smell terrible.  I take them at night and haven't felt nauseous, I also don't have m/s so I may just be escaping that knock on wood.

i take these as well. I don't notice a bad taste or odor with them. I have tolerated them fine too. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    MC #1 January 2013
    DS born 4/06/14
    MC #2 August 2015
    CP November 2015
    MC#3 January 2016
    BFP 5/11/16  EDD 1/19/17
  • imagecherrys:
    I'm taking the One A Day Prenatals, with DHA.They were 11 for nbsp;for a 30 day supply from our Giant grocery store.

I take the same. 2 month supply for less than 30 from Walmart. The vitamin makes me gag as soon as I smell / taste them and either the DHA or the vitamin, or both make me burp something fierce, too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I take these: https://www.devanutrition.com/vegan_prenatal_multivitamin.html

You could ask your dr. what it is about those that made him/her recommend them and find others that match those requirements (or a combination of supplements that meet them). 

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • I am lucky enough to work at a hospital with a very good employee pharmacy. Mine are only $2.50 and I pay with my flex spending account. Score! My 30 zofrans were only a dollar. I am getting super spoiled.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP#1 5/11/11 . EDD 1/17/12 . M/C and D&C 6/15/11 . RIP Little Bean
    BFP#2 8/15/11 . EDD 4/26/12. Blighted Ovum. D&C 9/18/11
    BFP#3 1/4/13. EDD 9/14/13. *Fingers Crossed*
    imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"