Health & Exercise
Options

Healthy Pregnancy

I'm pretty new here, and recently started posting in the September13 board. I thought this would be a good board for me to glance through as well and I'm really concerned with having a healthy pregnancy! I am 6 weeks 3 days and Due Sep. 21 tentatively. I am literally terrified of gaining weight in my pregnancy. I tend to be more on the overweight side and have struggled with my weight my whole life. The last few months I've really been trying to step it up and get myself into shape, I'd lost a few pounds before finding out I was pregnant but nothing major yet. I've joined a gym and started eating better which I know is great for pregnancy but I am still utterly terrified! I've struggled off and on with an eating disorder in my late teen years/early adulthood and used to be MUCH slimmer than I am now. I guess I just need somewhere to vent and some healthy advice on what to expect the following months. I know I definitely shouldn't be aiming to lose weight at this time, but is it possible to still tone up and slim down now? I don't want my weight gain to get out of hand!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Healthy Pregnancy

• Options

I dont really have any advice on slimming down, but I had the same concerns with DS#1. I have always been "thicker" as my DH puts it, and with DS#1 I gained 60lbs. I worked my butt off for 9 months, and lost all of it plus an additional 5 pounds; and then found out we were expecting LO#2. I felt the same way you did. I felt like I was finally in a good place with my weight, and eating habits and now I have the possiblity of blowing up again.

So what I did, and I know this sounds cheesy... but I made a deal with myself that gaining 60lbs just wasn't necessary. It was out of pure irresponsibility that I gained that much and that I wouldn't let myself do it again.

At my first OB appointment I asked them what weight gain was normal for me, and they told me that in the first trimester I should aim to gain just about nothing. (I still gained 2 pounds though) and then from there on out I should average 1lb a week.

I have really set this as my goal. I eat right (I mean not great, but I don't eat fast food and I dont have a carton of ice cream for dinner) and I exercise 3-5 days a week (cardio).

This goal may be different for you but I would talk to your dr. and see what they recommend and then really doing whatever you can to stick within those guidelines.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm on the Sept 13 board too! I can really relate to your stresses. I was completely obsessed with getting back to the prepregnacy weight I was with my other two before getting pregnant this time. Well it didn't happen, although I got close, 4 pounds away. But since finding out i was pregnant two weeks ago, I've gained 4 more pounds!!!! But I'm really trying not to stress or worry. All we can do is eat healthy and exercise often.
    Proud Mommy to DS (March 2007) and DD (May 2002)
    Baby No. 3 BFP 1/16/2013!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank so much for the advice, I feel like I have tons more to worry about in pregnancy than gaining weight, it's so vain that my biggest concern is being fat? But no matter how I try to shake it I can't help but stress so bad about it! I'll just try eating a healthy diet and let my body do what it's meant to do! Thanks for everything ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am at a healthy weight now, and I still worry about gaining too much, especially after watching my BFF go from 100 lbs to 150 with her last baby and still be struggling to get it off a year later.  So I googled and found out what gain was recommended for a woman of normal weight over each trimester.  One website I found even had it divided out by every 2 weeks what you should gain.  These are just recommendations of course, and every woman is different, but it helped me to see where I should be and gave me a goal... so far so good, no weight gain, but I'm about two seconds pregnant at this point, so I don't think that's much of an accomplishment!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing this. It is good to know I'm not the only one who worries about this! I am going to keep up my workouts the best I can and try to avoid lots of sugar etc. and focus on lots of veggies, meat, eggs, and some fruit. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"