November 2012 Moms

Mittens---Pasta sauce (or anyone)

Since you bragged on your recipe Wink, will you please share?

I only do jar sauce and would love to try making real sauce.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Mittens---Pasta sauce (or anyone)

• Awesome, I cant wait to try one out this weekend.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I make mine all the way from scratch!

You need:
    -20-25 vine-ripened tomatoes, washed and cored
    -8-10 plum or roma tomatoes, washed
    -1 medium red onion, diced
    -1 large green bell pepper, diced
    -1 large red bell pepper, diced
    -4 cloves garlic, peeled
    -3 sprigs Basil (non-fancy translation: 3 stems with leaves on it), rinsed and chopped
    -3 tbsp red pepper
    -4 tbsp pre-mixed Italian Seasoning (like McCormick), or equal parts oregano and parsley
    -1 1/2 c pecorino cheese, grated
    -1/2 c heavy cream, mixed with 1/4 c raw sugar
    -olive oil

Optional:
    -12 large pork or turkey Italian sausage links
    -1 pound ground beef or turkey

Directions:
    ? If using meat, place sausage links on large baking sheet. Cook at 400* for 35 minutes. To test doneness, poke one sausage with a fork and look for clear juices to come out. While oven is preheating and sausage is baking, prepare rest of sauce.

? Blanche all the tomatoes. To blanche: 

o Bring a large pot of water to a fast boil. While water is boiling, put a few handfuls of ice into a large bowl and fill about halfway with cold water, creating an icy bath.
    o Place 4-5 tomatoes into boiling water at a time. When skin starts to peel back or blister, remove from boiling water and place in ice bath for several minutes. Once sufficiently cooled, peel off skin and set tomato aside.
    o Repeat until all tomatoes are peeled. (This goes a lot faster if you have help. In my house, Sunday is sauce day, and FI peels and chops the tomatoes as they cool.)

? Chop all blanched and peeled tomatoes into quarters and set aside.

? Heat a large saut? pan to a medium heat, and add a generous coating of olive oil. Press or chop garlic (pressed gives better flavor), and add to pan. Once oil is heated, add ground beef or turkey and brown. (If skipping meat, skip this and add diced veggies instead.)

? Add half tomatoes to large pot (the bigger the better? my sauce pot is a comically large copper pot, but it fits it all!) on medium heat. Layer browned meat (or just veggies) over tomatoes.

? In the same saut? you used to brown the meat, add another generous coating of olive oil to bottom and heat. Once heated, add diced peppers. Cook on high heat until edges of peppers start to brown, then turn to a low heat. Add red onion. Cook until the onion begins to caramelize, but be careful not to overcook. Layer saut?ed peppers and onions over meat in pot.

? By this time, the sausage should be finished. Remove from oven, slice into quarters, and layer into pot. Don?t worry if there is some pink, as the sausage will continue to cook in the sauce.

? Layer the remaining tomatoes over meat and vegetables. DO NOT STIR.

? Add cream mixture, basil, red pepper, Italian seasoning, and grated cheese to top. Again, do not stir.

? Cover and cook sauce on medium heat until it begins to slowly boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-6 hours, stirring only after the initial boil, and no more often than every half hour. The longer you leave the sauce alone, the thicker and sweeter it will be.

Note: The heavy cream and cheese can be removed to make the sauce vegan or kosher-friendly, but I would still recommend adding the sugar to cut down on acidity of the tomatoes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageironmom5:

I make mine all the way from scratch!

You need:
    -20-25 vine-ripened tomatoes, washed and cored
    -8-10 plum or roma tomatoes, washed
    -1 medium red onion, diced
    -1 large green bell pepper, diced
    -1 large red bell pepper, diced
    -4 cloves garlic, peeled
    -3 sprigs Basil (non-fancy translation: 3 stems with leaves on it), rinsed and chopped
    -3 tbsp red pepper
    -4 tbsp pre-mixed Italian Seasoning (like McCormick), or equal parts oregano and parsley
    -1 1/2 c pecorino cheese, grated
    -1/2 c heavy cream, mixed with 1/4 c raw sugar
    -olive oil

Optional:
    -12 large pork or turkey Italian sausage links
    -1 pound ground beef or turkey

Directions:
    ? If using meat, place sausage links on large baking sheet. Cook at 400* for 35 minutes. To test doneness, poke one sausage with a fork and look for clear juices to come out. While oven is preheating and sausage is baking, prepare rest of sauce.

? Blanche all the tomatoes. To blanche: 

o Bring a large pot of water to a fast boil. While water is boiling, put a few handfuls of ice into a large bowl and fill about halfway with cold water, creating an icy bath.
    o Place 4-5 tomatoes into boiling water at a time. When skin starts to peel back or blister, remove from boiling water and place in ice bath for several minutes. Once sufficiently cooled, peel off skin and set tomato aside.
    o Repeat until all tomatoes are peeled. (This goes a lot faster if you have help. In my house, Sunday is sauce day, and FI peels and chops the tomatoes as they cool.)

? Chop all blanched and peeled tomatoes into quarters and set aside.

? Heat a large saut? pan to a medium heat, and add a generous coating of olive oil. Press or chop garlic (pressed gives better flavor), and add to pan. Once oil is heated, add ground beef or turkey and brown. (If skipping meat, skip this and add diced veggies instead.)

? Add half tomatoes to large pot (the bigger the better? my sauce pot is a comically large copper pot, but it fits it all!) on medium heat. Layer browned meat (or just veggies) over tomatoes.

? In the same saut? you used to brown the meat, add another generous coating of olive oil to bottom and heat. Once heated, add diced peppers. Cook on high heat until edges of peppers start to brown, then turn to a low heat. Add red onion. Cook until the onion begins to caramelize, but be careful not to overcook. Layer saut?ed peppers and onions over meat in pot.

? By this time, the sausage should be finished. Remove from oven, slice into quarters, and layer into pot. Don?t worry if there is some pink, as the sausage will continue to cook in the sauce.

? Layer the remaining tomatoes over meat and vegetables. DO NOT STIR.

? Add cream mixture, basil, red pepper, Italian seasoning, and grated cheese to top. Again, do not stir.

? Cover and cook sauce on medium heat until it begins to slowly boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-6 hours, stirring only after the initial boil, and no more often than every half hour. The longer you leave the sauce alone, the thicker and sweeter it will be.

Note: The heavy cream and cheese can be removed to make the sauce vegan or kosher-friendly, but I would still recommend adding the sugar to cut down on acidity of the tomatoes.

Indifferent

This sounds yummy and overwhelming, haha.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers 46808 845377924360 2036704678 n

WIMG950372 1

• imagefennyann:

Indifferent

This sounds yummy and overwhelming, haha.

It's not that bad, I just try to be really detailed.  When I hire people, they usually have minimal experience (aka, how I can get them for $8/hr), so I write all my recipes so that a fourth-grader can follow them.

I also have an "intro" to scratch sauce recipe that uses pre-prepped tomatoes and veggies for when you don't have that much time and want to put something in the crockpot before work.  I'll pull that one out when I get home tonight.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Haha ok. You don't want to know my recipe for sauce! Your's puts mine to shame. I'm more of the baker type. If you need cupcakes or cookies...I'm your lady!

WIMG950372 1

• imagefennyann:
    Haha ok. You don't want to know my recipe for sauce! Your's puts mine to shame. I'm more of the baker type. If you need cupcakes or cookies...I'm your lady!

I need both of these things.  

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    photo 9c28f28c-5aae-4b20-8f02-ea27ec37f516_zpsdaed06b5.jpg
  • imagedanak4:

imagefennyann:
    Haha ok. You don't want to know my recipe for sauce! Your's puts mine to shame. I'm more of the baker type. If you need cupcakes or cookies...I'm your lady!

I need both of these things.  

Once I'm settled in after work, I will post some for ya!

WIMG950372 1

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"