High-Risk Pregnancy

Blood Thinners during 3rd Trimester

Because of a clotting disorder and a previous loss at 16 weeks, I have been taking baby aspirin through out this entire pregnancy. I'm not sure what my doctors plans are for my 3rd trimester, but I'm so paranoid either way. If I stay on the baby aspirin, will the delivery be dangerous? But then I'm too scared to stop taking the aspirin, because what if it's what's keeping her alive right now?

I didn't get much of a response when I posted on the high risk board... I just wondering if anybody was going through the same problem, and what their thoughts were.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Blood Thinners during 3rd Trimester

• Sorry... Meant to post this on my month board.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi there! Definitely stay on the BA!! Apparently it's a miracle drug. I'm surprised you're not on lovenox or heparin, as well. You should discuss that with your MD. I'm on lovenox and BA for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome and have been told that I'll be discontinuing both or switching to heparin which takes less time to clear your system as DDay approaches. With your history, I'd do everything possible to get to the point where you have to read: GET to worry about that stuff. I'm in the same boat and I know it's hard, but let's hope it's all worth it. HH 9 mos!!

I meant stay on the BA until your md takes you off...just wanted to be clear!! Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely stay on it until she takes me off, I just almost feel like I would like to stay on it the entire pregnancy. We haven't discussed lovenox, yet. I've made it to 27 weeks on the baby aspirin and extra folic acid, so it seems like the baby aspirin is doing the trick. That's why I'm so scared to stop taking it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm in the same boat....3 losses before my DD#1, and 3 between her and my current pregnancy with DD#2.  I have a genetic blot clot abnormalities, so that on top of the losses results in me needing the baby asprin, high level folic acid, and blood thinners twice daily. 

I'd stick to the plan you have now.  Keep with the asprin and folic acid and definitely talk with your doc about your concerns. For me personally, I'll be on all my meds through the end...the only thing they do for me is switch my blood thinner at 36 weeks from Lovonox (which I'm on now and is longer-lasting in my system) to Heprin (can be counter-acted with a Vitamin K shot if needed).  Also, my thoughts are that the baby asprin won't complicate things at all for delivery because it's such a low dose, and there are things they can give you to counteract the effects if need be (at least that's what my doc told me - LOL!).

HTH and GL to you! :)

~ Christina ~ Mom to Zenedra (4) and Baby Girl #2 (coming this May!) ~ Wife to Michael (9/6/03) ~ Working momma, loving momma, blessed momma! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • This is one where you're going to have to trust your doctors, but I would question why they haven't put you on Lovenox at all.  I'm glad to hear you haven't had any complications.  BA is a very low-dose, so it shouldn't cause any issues during delivery.  Coming into the third trimester, most of us with clotting disorders are being switched to regular heparin (Lovenox is a fancier type of heparin) for the reasons cited by PP, but if BA has been enough to keep your Factor Xa levels stable, kudos to you!!  Stick with what works!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I am on daily full strength aspirin and I believe the current plan is for me to go to lovanox for third tri.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"