Maryland Babies

Toddlers & Funerals

DH's grandmother died over the weekend so we have to make the trip out to Ohio later this week for the funeral.

Has anyone dealt with taking a toddler to a funeral home? I was planning on bringing lots of snacks and some small toys to keep DD occupied.  Any other suggestions? Going without DD is not an option since MIL never gets to see her.

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddlers & Funerals

• Sounds right to me. I'm sure everyone will be happy to see her and will be nice distraction from the sadness. I think you need to plan on taking her out/staying behind as needed but otherwise you should go.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • When my Uncle died the funeral home had a small private room that could be used by immediate family.  We took some snacks, coloring books, quiet activities and turned that into a hang out spot for the kids.  (They were ages 4-7)  A bunch of the adults took a turn staying down there with the kids, so that the parents could stay in the mainroom.

You may want to call the funeral director and see what, if any accomodations they have for kids.  For instance the funeral home had a DVD player.  Usually it us used for showing memorial videos, but we used it for the kids.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry about DH's grandmother Sad

I've seen many posts on other boards about bringing babies/toddlers to funerals and the general consensus is that people are glad to have them there. I'd plan like you would to take her anywhere else and just plan to take her out if she gets out of control or anything. 

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • I'm sorry for your loss.

DH's grandmom died in June.  We opted not to take the kids to the funeral.  Claire was only 1, and Aiden was 4.  However, Aiden was really close with her, and I just wasn't sure how he'd handle it.

Aiden went to his first funeral earlier this month.  His previous daycare provider passed away.  He handled it really well, but wasn't clear on exactly what was happening. 

Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • There will generally be a room you can go into if you need to away from everyone if she gets antsy...perhaps you and DH can switch off duties or since it's his grandmother I would just assume baby duty for the day while he spends time with family.  I would bring some small toys, books and snacks.  plus you may have family members that will want their turn if they never see her! 
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"