North Carolina Babies
Options

Town recommendation

Hi everyone!

My family and I are considering a move to NC due to extended family moving, as well. I've heard of a few great towns and wondering if anyone could help out. We're considering Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. Could anyone give a brief description of any of them?! We have 2 boys; 4 and 3. I'm hoping for a great place/neighborhood to raise my children along with great schools, community, safety, jobs, plenty of things to do, etc...

Would LOVE to hear from anyone!

Thanks a bunch! 

Re: Town recommendation

• Options
    Any of those towns have nice areas and good schools.  If you are anti year round school, you'll have to look at Fuquay.  I'm pretty sure the rest are year round.  I really like Holly Springs.  It is big enough that there is something to do, places to eat, but not right in all the traffic of Raleigh.  On the other hand, Raleigh is a short drive away, and you have easy access to things like the Marbles Museum.  Holly Springs is growing fast! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagemeganandchase:
    Any of those towns have nice areas and good schools.  If you are anti year round school, you'll have to look at Fuquay.  I'm pretty sure the rest are year round.  I really like Holly Springs.  It is big enough that there is something to do, places to eat, but not right in all the traffic of Raleigh.  On the other hand, Raleigh is a short drive away, and you have easy access to things like the Marbles Museum.  Holly Springs is growing fast! 

Thanks a ton for your reply!! I've heard great things about Holly Springs! Is that pretty similar to Apex?

Thanks again! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't know a whole lot about Apex.  My feeling is that it is a huge sprawling town.  But it's close to everything.

The housing market is a little cheaper the farther away you get from RTP.

If you move down and are Lutheran and looking for a church, try Abiding Presence in Fuquay.  We love it there.

• Options
    Cary is really great! Apex is as well!! They have wonderful schools. I'm on the raleigh area! Raleigh has absolutely fantastic neighborhoods!! Google "Bedford raleigh nc" they have beautiful homes at a basically any price point! They are a great neighborhood and many families have children about the ages of yours! I love raleigh!! It's a wonderful place to live!! GL!!
  • Options
    imageRachel&Brad:

Hi everyone!

My family and I are considering a move to NC due to extended family moving, as well. I've heard of a few great towns and wondering if anyone could help out. We're considering Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina. Could anyone give a brief description of any of them?! We have 2 boys; 4 and 3. I'm hoping for a great place/neighborhood to raise my children along with great schools, community, safety, jobs, plenty of things to do, etc...

Would LOVE to hear from anyone!

Thanks a bunch! 

I have lived in Raleigh my entire life and my DH grew up in Cary and Fuquay.  Here are my thoughts:

Durham - has a cool artsy and foodie scene.  It used to be seen as not as safe but I think that is really changing.  It's becoming a much cooler place to live.  Especially close to downtown.

Raleigh - there are really 2 main areas:  inside the beltline (ITB) and outside the beltline.  ITB is a very desirable area to live but you'll also pay a lot more.  Every little area has it's own feel but no matter where you are, you'll be close to everything.  Outside the beltline - I would say North Raleigh is the most family friendly.  East of Raleigh -Knightdale, Wendell and Zebulon are nice and you can usually get a lot more house for your money.

Cary - is nice but there isn't as much character.  Everything is kind of beige.  But it's safe, clean, great neighborhoods and if you like being outdoors there are wonderful greenways.  

Apex - is sweet, a little further out and more of a bedroom community.  Most people who live there probably don't work there so they are all driving into Raleigh, Durham or Cary.  

Holly Springs is a very cute little town and that area is really growing!  It's one of the fastest growing areas of the county.  

Fuquay is just too far out IMO.  My in-laws are there so we go a lot and I feel like it always takes so long to get out there and there isn't really a fast way to get there.  There also aren't that many great restaurants out there.  There are nice quiet neighborhoods though.

If I had my choice and money wasn't an object I would choose Raleigh ITB any day.  It's just close to everything and you have all the best restaurants, shopping and great schools and neighborhoods.  

Second, not on your list would be Wake Forest - sweet town on north east of Raleigh.  Quiet, cute little downtown and a little more affordable.

Third would be Cary or Holly Springs.  

As for jobs, I think it depends on the industry - healthcare jobs you'd find everywhere.  Pharmaceutical - Durham or Cary, Tech - Raleigh, Cary or Durham.

Anyway, really the whole Triangle area is very nice, you'll just have to come and figure out what feels right for your family. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"