Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby suddenly cries at Grandpa

So our LO was watched by her grandpa everyday for about a month from 4 to 5 months.

He did everything. Night feedings, played with her..walks etc. She loved him and was always excited around him.

After we came home he was only able to see her on the weekends. The first weekend she was so excited to see him that when he walked away she would fuss and cry.

Suddenly today something strange happened. When he first came over she was fine but she didn't seem all to excited to see him. We then had her in an exer saucer and when it was time for a diaper change he took her out...almost immediately she started to cry...and HARD.

First we thought maybe he bumped her or something but this is where it got weird. When we were trying to wash her butt he was standing there and she just kept crying so hard...my wife took her and it didn't help..not even the pacifier.

He walked away and she suddenly slowed and stopped crying...he came back and on seeing him started to cry hard again...her grandma told him to leave ...a few minutes later he just stuck his head in and when the baby saw him started up again.

She's almost 6 months but what in the world is going on...it's breaking his heart :( and we can't figure it out. By the end of the day she was a little better but wasn't nearly as excited with him as she usually was and the things that made her laugh before did nothing for her...he was even afraid to hold her.

I feel so bad for him... 

Re: Baby suddenly cries at Grandpa

• They do get anxiety about who holds them at that age. I remember when DD was around 6 months, if DH picked her up, she screamed, and that's her dad who lives with her!  It really hurt and frustrated him. Tell grandpa don't give up and stay away, that would prolly make it worse, just take it very slowly. She will get over it. Also, if you guys were away from her a long time, so you think she might associate him with you guys leaving? I don't know if a baby that young could even link that, but maybe that might be part of it?
  • Awww, that's tough, especially since he was so involved in her daily care for such an extended period of time. If it's any consolation, our guys are going through the same phase. Suddenly grandparents are frightening. They've been very understanding but I know that they want to just scoop them up and play with them, but they feel they have to walk on eggshells.

Not sure if this will help, but we're going to try showing them pictures of their grandparents on a regular basis so their faces will look more familiar when they see them in person. And like everything, this will pass!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"