Started Bleeding Today- Don't Know What to Think — The Bump
TTC after 35

Started Bleeding Today- Don't Know What to Think

Hi Ladies,

I need your help.  I miscarried in November and had a D&C on 11/30 by my RE. At our f/u appointment he gave me a rx for Clomid 50mg to take on my next cycle from CD3-7; this would be my second round following the m/c.  I got my period on 1/4 and was very excited and took the pills as prescribed.  We had TI.

I've been having some cramping yesterday and today, particularly on my right side; and lots of milky white discharge (I had tons of this d/c when I got pregnant last time.)  Then today I got what looks like my period (reddish/brownish blood), but I am only CD23.   I don't know what to think about this.  I've always had very regular periods between 28-30.  

I've done a lot of reading on implantation bleeding but don't think this fits the description.  Has anyone else had very irregular periods after a D&C?  Could this be implantation bleeding?  I guess if i am still bleeding after 2 days I am out this month and need to take my next round of Clomid on Monday.

Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks ladies. 

Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

Re: Started Bleeding Today- Don't Know What to Think

• Hi there,

I had a m/c in October followed by a chemical pregnancy.  I think that the m/c does throw off your cycles - also Clomid changes things too.

I'm not sure I can really say without knowing your cycles - e.g. when you ovulate and average LP duration.  If you generally ovulate on CD14 and your cycles are usually 28/30 days- CD23 would be 7/8DPO which is very much aligned with implantation spotting.  Why don't you think it's implantation?  That plus the DC you said is similar to when you got pregnant the first time sounds like a great sign!

I assume you were monitored while on Clomid?  And using OPK? If so - does it show that you ovulated earlier than normal?  For me, Clomid really sped up my growth and they triggered me on CD10 for a CD11 IUI. Normally I ovulate days 14-16 so that was really early.  Your bleeding could be your period if you ovulated early since LP usually doesn't change.

Fingers crossed! 

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • I think it's a wait and see...could be anything. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Hi Lenox,

Thank you for your thoughts.  The bleeding has continued throughout the day- this is definitely period-like bleeding; not implantation spotting like I have read about.  I know this is TMI but when I went to the bathroom earlier I had a large stringy mucus thing with red blood- I never had anything like this before.  I can only imagine this is my period come way early?  I am wearing a pad but it only has a few drops of dark blood on it.  I have lots of cramping especially on my right side.

To answer your question about monitoring...hold on tight!  When we met with our RE he advised me to take the 2nd round of Clomid b/c I responded so well to it the first time (the first time it was prescribed by my OB).  He said monitoring was not necessary.  I am a bit fuzzy as to why he said it was not necessary- I think he said if I have injectables or other protocols it would be necessary.  We remember asking him a couple times about it and I even referenced what the ladies on the bump have said about the importance of monitoring.  He still insisted it was not needed.  He said he wanted me to do two rounds of Clomid and if I did not get pregnant to come back for next steps.  I know this is completely contradictory to what is apparently the norm on this forum and just hope that this RE is doing the right thing for me.  He is one of three REs in a practice (in fact the only practice in this part of my state) and is ranked one of the "top" REs in the country....for whatever that is worth.   

Regarding ovulation.... I use OPKs and CBEFM.   I remember you responded to a post where I asked if the monitor would recognize my peak b/c it had been 99 days since my period- you said that your monitor picked right up on your peak post m/c.  Well sadly for me, my monitor did not pick up any peak readings- just day after day of high fertility.   I am hoping that the monitor needs one cycle to get to know me again since it had been so long and not a sign of another problem.  We BD every other day right after I stopped my last period hoping I had ovulated even though the monitor did not indicate my surge.

I am so confused as to what my body is doing and will call my RE on Monday to see what they recommend.   If you have additional thoughts on all of this I'd love to hear about it.

Best of wishes and luck on your upcoming IUI/clomid cycle! :):):)  Fingers crossed for you as well. 

Thanks for reading and for your support! 

Me, 41; DH 38; TTC since July 2012, 1st round of Clomid, BFP on 10/19, what an incredible blessing!  M/c on 7w3d; D&C on 11/30; 4th round of Clomid 100mg = BFP on 04/19!!! M/c #2 at 7w; D&C on 5/30, then repeat D&C on 7/1.  Saline u/s on 8/2, uterus looks great!  Will start TTC in 09/13 w/ Clomid 100mg. Surprise natural BFP on 8/25!!! Beta #1=95, #2=182, #3=404!  EDD 5/4/13...Grow baby grow!

• I'm so sorry that this feels like AF is truly here :(  I think our bodies get screwy and while the CBFEM worked okay for me, I honestly find it less dependable than WODFOS (sad, given the price difference) which is why I use both.

As for monitoring, I'm certainly no expert so I am hardly going to judge anyone! :)  Was your pregnancy your first Clomid cycle and this was your second round, but first clomid cycle after your m/c?  Obviously the main reason to do so (ultrasound) is to check for cysts or abnormalities that may have resulted from the PREVIOUS clomid cycle.  Clomid does a number on your body and it sounds like many people develop cysts that can be amplified by a future round - so that if they find them on CD3 they will either watch them or make you sit out.   I can see how monitoring on a first round after a m/c may not be as important.   You do what feels right to you and I would also feel very reassured since he is a top doctor. 

Hopefully this next cycle will be the one for you!

Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Thanks again Lenox.   Yep, AF is definitely here :(  The bleeding has continued and is bright red.   Oh well.  To answer your question....The CBEFM worked great for me on my first Clomid cycle- I got my peak on CD12 and my first BFP; sadly it ended in miscarriage at 7w.  This is my second Clomid round following the m/c and D&C. I will call my RE tomorrow and see if they need for me to come in.  I've been thinking about why AF might have come early.  I have been under enormous stress at work this month, plus I got sick following the flu shot earlier in the month.  To top it off, my hormones have been raging and my face has broke out like a teenage girl. Could these factors have contributed to AF coming early or could there be underlying problem?  Like you said, our bodies are screwy :(:(  

I hope my body gets back on track next month.  Thank you again for your support. I hope your next IUI cycle is your lucky month :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards