Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Yogurt

I went to the grocery store today and was highly disappointed that there were no plain yogurts made with whole milk. All of the kid yogurts had some funky flavors loaded with sugar. There are some brands that had plain yogurt but they were nonfat or low fat. Do they exist? Plain, full fat, whole milk yogurt???

Re: Yogurt

• Options
    I'm having the same problem with regular and Greek yogurt.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I've only found plain full fat at Whole Foods.  Have you checked there?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

They do exist, but I do struggle to find them. I often have to go to certain grocery stores they carry it - the bigger nicer ones. The ones by my house don't. I stock up whenever I can go to them. I really like Greek Gods brand. The green tub is the plain, full fat kind and that's what I go with. 

This last time, they didn't have it so I bought regular, full fat yogurt. I think it's Mountain High, not sure if that's a brand you can get. You might have to check out other stores when you get the chance. 

Marigold Celestial Nostrils to save the day with glitter and unicorn farts! Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was looking for some alternative "puree" type foods a few months ago for LO and discovered Gerber's baby yogurt.  It's sold in the baby aisle.  I don't know if they have plain, but we purchased pear. 

I'm normally more conscious about sugar/organic, etc, etc...but I was desperate for ideas, so I can't tell you about that aspect.  But, check it out!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Stoneyfield Yo Baby yogurt? It is full fat, but flavored, but not too high in sugar. I get the vanilla because I mix it with fruit pur?e. It's in little 4 oz. 4-pack cups.

• Options
    I don't know, I just get Chobani low-fat.. plain or banana. I think you're fine as long as there's not too much sugar in it and as long as it's actually yogurt! I don't know what they put in the Gerber stuff or whatever it is that isn't even refrigerated.
  • Options
    It's not normally available in individual cups but if you look at the big tubs they usually carry Stonyfield plain, whole milk.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I just give him the Chobani that I eat and he has been fine, I have been giving some to him every morning for the past 3 months.
  • Options
    Dannon makes a plain, full fat yogurt. My grocery store carries it but the grocery section of my Target and Walmart do not. There are also weeks that the grocery store doesn't have it because they don't get much in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I got some at Trader Joe's.  However, DS wouldn't eat it so when I do occasionally give him yogurt I now give him the full-fat organic flavored yogurt from there.  He gets it so infrequently that I don't care too much about the sugar content.
  • Options

imageelmoali:
    It's not normally available in individual cups but if you look at the big tubs they usually carry Stonyfield plain, whole milk.

This is what we buy for DD. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes, it can be hard to find.  I have found plain, whole milk organic yogurt in the large tubs (32oz I think)- I have bought Nancy's Organic and Stonyfield Organic and like both.  The only 6oz container of plan, whole milk yogurt I have found is a brand called Brown Cow.  I would guess only higher end grocery stores carry it. 

Also, I don't think it's that baby won't be "fine" with a low-fat yogurt, it's that the full-fat version is best for them.  Babies burn a lot of calories everyday, and are growing and developing so quickly they need the fat to accomplish all that.  Not only that, but the process to make a food low-fat usually depletes nutrients from the product.

• Options
    We've had the same struggle. I found Yoplait Baby yogurt at WalMart. They have it in banana and pear flavors. They come in a pack of 4 for about $2. We've also tried the Gerber baby yogurt. DS loves both.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    I get the large tub of Stoneyfield plain, whole milk yogurt.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    I usually find it in the big tubs and get whatever full fat greek yogurt they have.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I make my own!  In my culture it is very common so I gave it a shot last week.  I used organic whole milk and it made a ton.  It's pretty easy because there's a range as far as temperatures and all.  The taste or texture may vary but its all safe to eat.

Also my DR was specific about giving him full fat yogurt.

• Options
    Stonyfield farms sells a tub of whole milk plain yogurt.  I have never seen plain yogurt in the single serving containers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They exist, but I agree that they are sometimes hard to find.  I just usually have to shop around.  Stonyfield is the brand that I find most often in the full fat, plain, whole milk variety.  I think I got it at Jewel last time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"