Food Allergy

XP from SAHM board- Visiting children and nut allergies

I am in my first pregnancy, but I am taking care of my 6 yo and 4 yo nieces this weekend, while my bro and sis in law are at a wedding. The 6 yo has severe nut allergies and i am just a little nervous. I have an epi -pen. I have thrown out all the nuts and had professional cleaners come through and deep clean the apartment. I bought a baking sheet and pan that have not been used yet and have delegated  them just to use for when cooking for her. Have a list of nut free restaurants and bakeries and have a list of local pediatricians and medical ins card  just in case and my Husband is a MD, though he on call this weekend. 

AM I missing anything, and tips. I really want us to have an awesome weekend together and do not want anything to go wrong .

Thanks in advanced

-Emma 

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013

Re: XP from SAHM board- Visiting children and nut allergies

• I would have at least two epi pens on hand.  We needed the back-up when we were traveling last summer.  I'd also be careful to check that any places you might take the kids don't have a lot of nut trees around.  There are a lot of walnut trees where we live, so we have to be careful.  DD had a reaction to the protein in the air once--very scary.
  • First I would like to say god bless you for taking such precautions.  My son has a severe peanut allergy and I have relatives that insist on having candy with nuts lying around their house in bowls when we come over.  Arg!

Anyway, I think you have done a spectacular job.  One suggestion I have is to be sure you read the labels on everything you want to give her to eat, even if it doesn't seem like it would have anything to do with nuts.  I actually bought my son some frozen yogurt fruit smoothie mix without reading it in the supermarket. When I read it at home there was a peanut warning on it! It was just frozen greek yogurt and fruit, I never would have thought it would be an issue, but I'm so glad i read it before I gave it to him.  

I think you will be totally fine.  Try to relax and enjoy your time with your nieces! 

• Loading the player...
  • I hope you had a wonderful weekend with your nieces.  I just wanted to say that you must be a very good aunt and bet you'll make a great mom!  Big Smile

Thank you for caring so much about little kids with allergies.  From another allergy mom, it means a lot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It was a wonderful weekend.  I took the train to pick them up them up at school and they had their cute suitcases, stuffed animals, american girl doll bags. SO I had my handful. We took the train back to the city ( about a 20 minute ride) We dropped off their stuff in the guest too. They decided to give me a fashion show of all the clothes they brought for the week. LOL. I surprised  them with Tickets to see Mary Poppins so we ate pizza and then went to go see the show they loved it, then they went right to bed. 

Saturday. I made them blueberry pancakes ( I made the mix so I know what was in it)  Then we went to the central park zoo. I had reservations for the Eloise Tea party at the Plaza hotel. Then we went to the american girl doll store and I gave them each a 50 dollar gift card ( that I won at a charity raffle) and they got clothes and accessories. THey knew their budget because I gave them a calculator to add it up. ( of course I paid for the tax) Came home I made chicken nuggets and we watched a movie before bed.

Sunday- Took them to church, then we had brunch with my husband and we took them Ice Skating then to the top of the empire state building. It was really fun  I love playing tourist in NY, do not do it enough. :) thanks for the kind words, it was successful because of the suggestions 

Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"